HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
What's interesting is that the Heritage Trust is silent on important issues like demolition. They are more anti-development then pro-heritage.
Seriously though, the house should have been considered a heritage contender, however i believe it wasn't registered.

Shame this group is slowing the growth of Halifax from becoming the best city this side of Montreal. Places like St John, which is known to be one of the toughest cities to do thing in is now starting to pass us.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 8:18 PM
we built this city

Hali is still the top dog by leaps and bounds. South St. is going to be kinda of interesting, alot of stubby brick towers that are reflected across the street by the hospital, then more towers visible near Gorsebrook. Getting into the whole Dal area later on, the city feels like its filling out more.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 8:31 PM
we built this city

And I forgot to mention Fenwick always looming farther towards downtown.

I wonder how 5800 south will look with regards to the existing towers.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 8:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well.. I think Halifax could be doing much better than it is but in reality there's still way more infill happening than anywhere else in the region. If you took even a project like 5800 South and put it in Saint John it would be a major project. I don't even know that they've gotten any new 9 storey buildings there in the past 5-10 years. St. John's and Moncton are similar.

It's really unfortunate that that house was torn down. It was a kind of minor landmark on a street with mostly ugly buildings.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
What's interesting is that the Heritage Trust is silent on important issues like demolition. They are more anti-development then pro-heritage.
Yes. I often get the feeling that they could care less about preserving heritage buildings. The only time they get excited is when a new building is being proposed downtown. You could mow down one victorian house after another in the south end and they wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:48 PM

May 7, 2008

New pictures this morning:

(Credit: Me) South Street.

(Credit: Me) Wellington Street.

As a side note they are expanding the Tower Apartments on Tower Road (between Inglis and Tower Terrace).

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:54 AM

I just realised that i didn't get this in the pictures but on one of the corners of the building they have windows in place (big top, two lower pieces). So Far it looks good. Of course the exteriors materials used will ultimately decide how this development ranks. This building closes a gap from the awesome view on top of Gorsebrook Hill.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks pretty good so far. South Street looks very narrow in the second shot with the hospital.

I've never taken pictures from Gorsebrook, and I'm not sure how much you'd see from there. I do know that the land next to South Street West of this development is somewhat underused and neglected looking until Robie, where it becomes a much nicer residential area by Dal.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Looks pretty good so far. South Street looks very narrow in the second shot with the hospital.

I've never taken pictures from Gorsebrook, and I'm not sure how much you'd see from there. I do know that the land next to South Street West of this development is somewhat underused and neglected looking until Robie, where it becomes a much nicer residential area by Dal.
South Street is very very narrow there. 5800 comes right up to the sidewalk and theres only a narrow tree line on the hospital sign. It's a very urban feeling street. I've walked by Gorsebrook many times recently and there is a decent view from there. Before this development there was a gap between the hospital and Tower Apartments (?). The IWK helps South Street stay somewhat dense. The other side of South is parkland/school so its not very built-up.

By the way they demolished another house across Wellington Street hours after i took these pictures.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 11:27 PM

Holy. Who's gonna wanna buy that little green house with that huge building (relatively speaking) wrapped right around it?! Can you imagine sitting in your backyard with 9 stories of balconies looking right into your yard? I mean... that sucker is built right up to the property line. Brutal. No wonder they are trying to sell. I wonder why the developer didn't try to buy it and tear it down? It's hardly a heritage building... just an ugly plain 100 year old wooden box.

Last edited by Takeo; May 10, 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 11:46 PM

Yeah I thought the same thing when I see that pic.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 3:24 AM

This morning:

(By: Me) Leaving hospital parking lot.

(By: Me) St. Francis Field looking north.

See http://flickr.com/photos/24579848@N06/ for more.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 11:40 AM

I always thought that round building was kinda neat. That white one beside it though... ugh.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I always thought that round building was kinda neat. That white one beside it though... ugh.
Yep. The milk carton with windows is Peter Green Hall, a Dalhousie married students residence. One of the rush of residence buildings put up in the late 60s/early 70s. It really is pretty awful-looking.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 6:28 PM

I find the two Wellington Street buildings decent looking. The round one has a weird, gray and very ugly box like thing on top of it, though. These two buildings are in a weird spot. They're mid-block on a narrow street, nowheres near anyother high-rises.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 9:02 PM
we built this city

Is the sidewalk still in shambles around that section of South?

I wish this development was 3-4 stories taller.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Is the sidewalk still in shambles around that section of South?

I wish this development was 3-4 stories taller.
The Hospital sidewalk is in good shape. The development side is gone at the moment.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:31 PM

May 14, 2008

Just an update for the area. One of the two lots torn down across the street is being built on, and from the looks of it its probably just a house. And they have some brick work done on the bottom floor, and on the rear of the building:

(Credit: Me) Exterior materials on eastern end of the building. Judging from renderings these color will be on the first three floors. Darker on top.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 5:48 PM

June 5, 2008

Darker bricks in place (photo by me):

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 7:39 PM

Does anyone have any updated pictures on this project? The last time i was around it, it had bricks all the way up on the front but that was a while ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth