HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 3:40 AM

I don't think City Centre Atlantic or Morris will have much of a fight. I think they will be approved just as the Trillium and Alexander and Kings Wharf were. The Roy I am assuming will go through a big redesign before we see it again, and I don't know what to think of the Discovery Centre tower.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That's what I expect, although I think it will be easier to get the Hollis and Morris Street building approved.

I'd also like to see some modifications to the Roy Building proposal (possibly they are already refining it..? I don't know..).
I wouldn't bet on it. Those old rowhouses across the street are a favourite photo op for the heritage crowd. I have seen them in two or three books now about heritage buildings in Nova Scotia/Halifax.

FYI, I actually live in the old ramshackled building at Hollis and Morris. No eviction notice yet

Edit: It just occurred to me, does Hollis and Morris fall in the South End under Peninsula Community Council or does it fall in the Downtown and go to Regional Council? Regional council will approve it, but Peninsula Council.... maybe not with Sloane and Watts. The two of them voting against equals a tie and means the project would be defeated. Anyone know where the boundary is?

Edit Edit: Well I have answered my own question It looks like it'll be Regional Council. Couldn't find it in writing anywhere, but on the Explore HRM map the Downtown and specifically the area from Hollis to the harbour and stopping at Terminal Road is listed as "exception" on the Community Council layer. So I'm assuming that's the area that Regional Council as a whole considers.

Strangely, the other side of Hollis in that area is Peninsula Council, which seems silly and arbitrary since Hollis isn't much of a natural break. Barrington would have made a lot more sense since the Peninsula side of Barrington does change in character compared to the water side in that area whereas Hollis is basically the same on both sides. Anyway, the Vic developers are lucky to be on the water side as opposed to the Barrington side of Hollis since they're bound to receive a more favourable hearing at Regional Council compared to Regional!

Last edited by spaustin; Apr 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth