HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:33 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Smile Mr D presents Hamburg

Hamburg is great.. it's a fairly young city building-wise as it really took a pounding in WW2, but the style and looks makes it feel a lot older..

It's great for shopping as well as relaxing, and as always I will highly recommend a visit if in the are!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 8:23 PM
maverick

thanks for good pics

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 2:23 AM

I just love Hamburg,such an interesting city.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 9:22 PM

Well I don't really agree with your statement that Hamburg is "great for shopping and relaxing" - most other German cities have a lot more culture and interesting sights than this gray industrial port city.

having said that, Hamburg IS great for those who are into clubbing, partying, and sex. It has a world-famous music scene and of course girls. In other words, Hamburg has the charm of a naughty port city, but it doesn't have a lot of interesting things to do there.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 12:19 PM
Alea Iacta Est

hamburg looks better than I thought, I always got impression it would look something like Liverpool, lol, glad to see that is not the case, City looks nice.

It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.Voltaire

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
Lovable dictator

How can you describe Hamburg as a "gray industrial port city"? It certainly isn't uglier than some of the other major German cities such as Cologne, Stuttgart or Berlin. I'd even say that out of the top 10 German cities (population wise) only Munich can be described as "more beautiful." On top of that there's a lot of construction going on in Hamburg with the Hafencity and all that so it's getting even better.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 3:10 PM
NothingBetterToDo

Excellent pics MR D

I was in Hamburg a while back, but only for one night (whilst travelling between Amsterdam and Copenhagen), so i couldn't experience it fully. But i got some pics which i plan on posting soon too

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 7:12 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

^Looking forward to it mate!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 8:54 PM

Statement of a guy from Cologne working in the Hamburg area: "What strikes me is that Hamburg is so green. So many trees between the buildings. The city is much more beautyful than Cologne, although it is such a young city." (Note: Hamburg was founded in the 9th century).

It is generally acknowledged in Germany that out of the big german cities, Hamburg is the most beautyful second only to Munich. And there is much to do leisure-wise in Hamburg (surely not less than in Cologne). Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know shit.
And the thing with Hamburg being good for party is only partly true: It is good if you are together with your friends or a travelgroup. But going alone is boring (unless you are extremely extroverted), because it is extremely hard to get in contact with locals (even for me. And I'm from Hamburg!). People just stay with their friends and don't seem to be interested in conversation with other people, and if a small talk evolves then they always keep the distance as if it is a small talk among businessmen.
The only thing which is really grey is the weather in winter (which surely affects the mood).

ukw, have you been in Hamburg? How long and how often?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21 View Post
Statement of a guy from Cologne working in the Hamburg area: "What strikes me is that Hamburg is so green. So many trees between the buildings. The city is much more beautyful than Cologne, although it is such a young city." (Note: Hamburg was founded in the 9th century).

It is generally acknowledged in Germany that out of the big german cities, Hamburg is the most beautyful second only to Munich. And there is much to do leisure-wise in Hamburg (surely not less than in Cologne). Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know shit.
And the thing with Hamburg being good for party is only partly true: It is good if you are together with your friends or a travelgroup. But going alone is boring (unless you are extremely extroverted), because it is extremely hard to get in contact with locals (even for me. And I'm from Hamburg!). People just stay with their friends and don't seem to be interested in conversation with other people, and if a small talk evolves then they always keep the distance as if it is a small talk among businessmen.
The only thing which is really grey is the weather in winter (which surely affects the mood).

ukw, have you been in Hamburg? How long and how often?
Hey man. I've been to Hamburg 2 times (in 2003 and 2005).

It has a special place in my heart because it has a world-famous club party scene, great music, girls... port cities are always romantic, like Amsterdam and Odessa. But, it's still a blue-collar industrial town. It doesn't have a lot of interesting history behind it (because it was almost completely re-built after WW2), unlike other German cities. That's what I mean.

Contrary to what you say, it was very easy for me to make friends there, even though I was on my own. I just went to a club, drank with some people, they smiled and took pictures with me. Very very friendly people, even though some locals warned me about the "closed circles" like you did. Not even close - everyone was very open and nice. The "closed circles" are actually here in the USA where I live.

FYI I was @ Tunnel Club, D Club (in the St.-Pauli area).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 11:58 AM

Oh, the overpriced Tunnel Club. Been there once and that was enough for me. Are you sure the people you have met were from Hamburg and not from the surrounding areas or from completely elsewhere (I mean, you have been in one of Germany's most famous techno-clubs, so it is surely not uncommon to meet a lot of non-hamburgers there)?
But how do you get the impression it is a blue-collar town? It is actually mixed. There are lots of people working in white-collar jobs, especially in the media and advertising industry. Even most port-related jobs are office-jobs due to the high automation in the port.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 6:01 PM
mumble

Thumbs up

Thanks for all these great Hamburg photos, Mr. D!

You sure covered a good bit of territory there. Glad to hear your positive impressions. No doubt the nice weather helped.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21 View Post
Oh, the overpriced Tunnel Club. Been there once and that was enough for me. Are you sure the people you have met were from Hamburg and not from the surrounding areas or from completely elsewhere (I mean, you have been in one of Germany's most famous techno-clubs, so it is surely not uncommon to meet a lot of non-hamburgers there)?
But how do you get the impression it is a blue-collar town? It is actually mixed. There are lots of people working in white-collar jobs, especially in the media and advertising industry. Even most port-related jobs are office-jobs due to the high automation in the port.
Well, when I was in Frankfurt, I saw a lot more office-type people... Hamburg looked blue-collar in comparison to Frankfurt.

There were indeed some out-of-towners @ Tunnel, but still, I also talked to (and even took pictures with) regular Hamburg residents.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 7:27 PM

Hamburg seems to be a very beautiful city. The on-going projects are also very promising.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:28 PM
Staffan S

Nice pics aus Hamburg. Went through it by bus this summer. When traveling from Malmö to any place in sothern or weatern Europe by coach you most often passes by on the Autobahn. And often the traffic jam is severe so there is a trditional short-cut through the city!

Have been twice in Hamburg, both times in december! It was really grey waether. Weihnachtsmarkt/Christmas market is super. And don't miss Miniatur Wunderland!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:50 PM

I can't believe the location and the style of building that Burger King is in.

Nice pictures nonetheless!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 8:50 PM

The Burger King restaurant was built in the year 1914 as a public library.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 1:18 PM

phantastic !

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 6:19 PM
Sebastian

I wish I could have visited the actual center when I went.
Thank you for the pictures.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 10:04 AM

Man , I want to have summer soon...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe