HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 12:08 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post

^^^There are higher resolution pics at this link:

http://www.slcairport.com/TRP-Highlights.asp

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 12:16 AM
Engineer

http://www.slcairport.com/TRP-timeline.asp

It seems as if they're on schedule. If so, construction on the new terminal and west concourse begins this year!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 12:39 AM

Curious question: what is that little walkway/balcony thing in the top right corner of thos picture?

I mean, it's cool and I like it, but what is its purpose, and will they really include it in the final design? It seems like a really cool place to watch planes from.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:13 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

My guess is that it will access the lounges, like the Delta Sky Club.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:40 AM

So I have a question...years ago, before the airport TRAX line was completed, weren't there some plans that showed two TRAX stations at the airport? One that dropped off at the terminal, and one that stopped in Economy Parking somewhere? If so, I take it that is no longer the plan?

Additionally, with the designs currently as they are, what happens when the 5600 West TRAX line is built and connects with the airport? I always imagined that TRAX would kind of do a loop through the airport, like the access roads do, stopping at the terminal, continuing west, make a stop in economy parking, and exit back out of the airport head further west to meet up with 5600.

But from the renderings, it looks like there wouldn't be any opportunity to extend the tracks past their terminus at the terminal. So for the 5600 West line to connect to the airport, the trains would have to make a dead stop at the terminal, and then change directions to leave the airport sharing the same track that trains bound for Downtown use, and then final split again to head west out closer to the freeway?

Anyone wanna shed more light on this?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:52 AM

That walkway thingy could be for an airport lounge or possibly a walkway for international travelers only to get to customs.

Also, I like having dedicated upper and lower level for departures and arrivals, but man, it seems that there is not much real estate for people to enter the main terminal. For a large airport with many gates, it seems that it will packed in the departure airline area outside the terminal.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:08 AM

Ooh, I bet that's it Wrendog, customs sort of thing. I was hoping it wasn't a lounge because I never qualify for those sorts of perks. But a sort of passage-way to an extra customs check makes sense.

I've been to airports where they thread new arrivals through different hallways before passing through another security check. I think that happens when you have a connection on international trips or something.

And I don't mean to be picky or anything, but I do like to spot the slight problems in renderings...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:40 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Please merge left......NOW!!!
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:39 AM

That taxi is moving like a bat out of hell, too.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:53 AM
BANNED

Does anyone know how JetBlue's SLC-MCO flight is doing? I also noticed that Alaska is down to three gates and that JetBlue took gate A4, which was Alaska's.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:34 PM

RE: That narrow catwalk/walkway...there's something like that in one of the terminals now, for airport employees to get around. I interviewed for a tower job there once, and that was part of the back way for employees. I hope it's something more public than that, looks cool.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
Does anyone know how JetBlue's SLC-MCO flight is doing? I also noticed that Alaska is down to three gates and that JetBlue took gate A4, which was Alaska's.
My husband works at jetBlue and I asked him this the other day and he said that it is doing a lot better than they had expected. It was initially opened to provide a link between their two major contact centers but looks as though it's booked almost everyday.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
So I have a question...years ago, before the airport TRAX line was completed, weren't there some plans that showed two TRAX stations at the airport? One that dropped off at the terminal, and one that stopped in Economy Parking somewhere? If so, I take it that is no longer the plan?

Additionally, with the designs currently as they are, what happens when the 5600 West TRAX line is built and connects with the airport? I always imagined that TRAX would kind of do a loop through the airport, like the access roads do, stopping at the terminal, continuing west, make a stop in economy parking, and exit back out of the airport head further west to meet up with 5600.

But from the renderings, it looks like there wouldn't be any opportunity to extend the tracks past their terminus at the terminal. So for the 5600 West line to connect to the airport, the trains would have to make a dead stop at the terminal, and then change directions to leave the airport sharing the same track that trains bound for Downtown use, and then final split again to head west out closer to the freeway?

Anyone wanna shed more light on this?
The plans changed many times as both UTA and the Airport figured out what they really wanted. I remember one proposal to have TRAX stop at each terminal, and let the trains act like a sort of 'Airport Terminal Shuttle', which would have been both impractical and expensive. It was a cool idea though.
Now that the airport has decided to use only one efficient terminal, that shuttle idea is no longer needed.

(Pulled from an earlier thread)

As for the 5600 West TRAX project... If that ever happens, I don't see any problem with having the trains switch ends at the airport. It will take more time, but no one is really going to use TRAX to commute downtown from 5600 West with an intermediary stop at the airport. It will take too long.
Know that I am not a fan of putting TRAX down the middle of a street as long as 5600 West. I say it is a street, so use BRT instead.
Let buses be buses, and let trains be trains.
This should probably be moved to the transit thread...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:41 PM

If the North West Quadrant is developed in the future, I wouldn't want the green line to terminate at the airport... Although, perhaps the green line could just split where it turns North toward the airport...

Also I noticed this:

Last edited by Old&New; Jan 23, 2015 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:45 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Also, the U.S Airways jet looks stuck. No room to back up or move forward.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 10:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Also, the U.S Airways jet looks stuck. No room to back up or move forward.
By the time the terminal is done, US Airways will be history. The airline will have been gone for about seven years, to be exact. Also the engine on that plane is from the old Delta Air Lines paint scheme from the late 90's-early 2000's. It looks like it might also be missing some windows as well.

Last edited by LumberJack; Jan 24, 2015 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:36 AM

That does look like a little shuttle train in the airport... or it could also be the simulated reflection of their interesting choice in TRAX vehicle from the other pictures... or, based on the established accuracy of these renderings so far, it may be nothing at all.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 6:05 AM

Ghost train...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 11:18 PM

Hi. Been a while since I checked in here. I hope all is well with everyone.

I see some people have posted some renderings already, but I will also point out there are some on the airport's facebook page as well in case a few were not posted here. There will be more down the road I am sure.

SLC Airport on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
Was at the airport yesterday. Definitely a lot going on out in the parking lots. Random question, does anyone know who has gate B1 at the airport? I know jetBlue used to have it but they are now at gate A4 in between Frontier and the three Alaska gates to the east of them. Thanks.
Actually, JetBlue moved from A4 to B1 temporarily while some concrete replacement was done on the taxiway right behind their gate. But they have since moved back to A4.

The airport is definitely moving along with getting things underway. To most people coming through the airport, you probably wouldn't notice much happening aside of some foundation work for the new rental car turnaround facility. Soon it will be impacting the main roads around the terminals and exiting the airport. Gradually the demolition of old buildings will make way for new ones.

On a side note, FedEx will be relocating to their new facility at the north end of the airport where other cargo operators currently are. The move should begin next week.

Lastly, I want to share with you a fun video the airport released yesterday:

Video Link

Take care!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:20 AM
BANNED

^^^
Thanks for posting the video. I saw that Alaska is switching the SLC-SJC flight in May to the Q400 turboprop. I am surprised this flight is still around. Anyone know how Alaska is doing in SLC? I flew them last year to San Diego and San Francisco and both times the flights were full. I think Alaska could really help the SLC airport grow and expand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West