HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:06 PM

it's probably something procedural. Maybe they're waiting on approval from the FAA for the final crane jump.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:46 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

we have to keep a close eye out for the final crane jump -- whoever notices post asap !!!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 1:20 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 15, 2019 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Skinny as heck! Like beautiful bamboo. Architectural bamboo with alkaloids of terracotta that give a hell of an engineering and architectural high. Hopefully the invasive species will sprout more often.

Credit: yoichiuzeki

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 12:01 AM
Dryer lint inspector

They're hideous.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
They're hideous.
Agreed.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:16 PM

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
They're hideous.
Ouch, harsh! However, seems that you and many people around feel the same way which is understandable. These smoke tacks don't look nice on the skyline, but up close they are less overwhelming on the street than a massive box for example and impressive when you look up. They allow more light/space on the street than a massive building that would create a typical canyon effect.

So, even though the industrial chimney look is a downside on the skyline, at least the streets are more open and inviting with these skinny towers, in comparison to overwhelming inhuman behemoths dominating the block.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 16, 2019 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
It's understandable to me that average joes on the street may find these towers awful, it's just the nature of the beast. They are extremely thin and most people think of a skyscraper as a big monster of a building. It's just how they are programmed to think and any tower that breaks that mold will get called out as weird or odd. Same with how human beings treat each other. When somebody doesn't fit in to a certain mold, they get immorally bullied and torn down. Humans are generally creatures of habit! Humans are often closeminded to the different!

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 17, 2019 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 10:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

I always think of what would happen if even a Cesna were to hit this thing, it would break in half. However, I think this building is freaking badass.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I always think of what would happen if even a Cesna were to hit this thing, it would break in half. However, I think this building is freaking badass.
Ouch. But no, a cesna is very light and wouldn't do much damage to the core or the major structure of the tower. Those planes are like paper. there is no way in god's name that the thing would break from being hit by that thing. It would be like a deranged seagull hitting a window of a house. This building is not as delicate as it looks.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 17, 2019 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

you gotta be kidding me — skinny towers are a style among many and are great - and these look fantastic up close and at a distance. quality materials like nothing else. save the ire for the blando boxes and generic glass apt bldgs.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
you gotta be kidding me — skinny towers are a style among many and are great - and these look fantastic up close and at a distance. quality materials like nothing else. save the ire for the blando boxes and generic glass apt bldgs.
Yeah, that's great. But the opinion of a biased NY'er won't help us determine the real perception of these towers. Obviously cityboosterism plays a roll in people's opinions so we need a more unbiased look at what people find attractive and not. Let's see a global poll. I bet it will not be as favorable to these towers, because humans like what they know, and that is the usual skyscraper shapes. I for one don't mind these towers because the design is good and they are favorable to the street (not too overwhelming). Better than a big assed box, for sure. But I've seen so many negative comments on various publications and forums that I have my doubts if the average joe on the street does. I have talked to people IRL who didn't like them and I was surprised because they like innovative designs usually.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 17, 2019 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

I wouldn't waste your breath. Aqua has been a NY troll for years and years. Mancuso carries around that--irrational-upstate-rage towards everything New York City--like a stone around his neck. Sad

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
I wouldn't waste your breath. Aqua has been a NY troll for years and years. Mancuso carries around that--irrational-upstate-rage towards everything New York City--like a stone around his neck. Sad
Lol...what? Rage against NYC? I got married on the top floor of the Park Lane..I hate it that much. I don't like the skinny towers. They are disposable garish architecture and don't compliment the skyline and probably won't age well. In defense of 432 Park Ave, it's not ugly, just about 500' too tall.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:43 AM
Meh

I don't like the skinny towers either, and I love New York. For me, the skinny supertalls are a bit like obnoxious spires. They're certainly more necessary than spires on a building are, but there's a part of me that sees them as cheating, though, again, I get it that they're necessary in a place like New York because of the demand for space/views.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

its funny we went through a previous skinny apt bldg phase in the 1980s and the complaints haven’t changed today.

these are advances in engineering tall towers, so better get used to them.

maybe when we have more of them it will look better to h8trz? there is no doubt we will eventually.

also, i would just remind you that even if you don’t like a building style or its bland, quality can always save the day (ie., 1 wtc, 1 manhattan west, etc.) and these skinny towers have quality materials in spades. check them out up close when you can.

Last edited by mrnyc; Sep 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive