HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
ALso, I read the City Budget Presentation for New Orleans Building Corporation:Glad to see seeking redevelopment of the Piazza is back on the agenda for next year. with the qualified parties for the Convention Center that expressed interests that can only mean good things for redevelopments like this that will be seeking interested parties next year
A few years back the French Market Corporation has a proposal to develop their huge parking lots on Elysian Fields Ave into garages/apartments/retail. Any word of that idea coming back to life?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
A few years back the French Market Corporation has a proposal to develop their huge parking lots on Elysian Fields Ave into garages/apartments/retail. Any word of that idea coming back to life?
That was always so weird because the rfp went out and then nothing to be heard. Kind of bizarre! We should email and ask because those are prime spots to develop i think

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Thats an amazingly qualified group of five... id be fine if they invited all five to submit and respond to rfp...great to see a project like this attract such heavy hitters, that can only mean good things long term for the quality and creativity of the proposals. Also, the Convention Centers approach to breaking the project up a bit appears to have been a wise decision
I thought the quality of the responders was impressive as well. Particularly excited that Domain is interested in picking up a new large development area in the city, and I have to feel like they have the strongest chance at this point because they've done such a consistently good job with South Market District and have moved quickly for how large a development it is. But all of them seem like great choices on paper at least.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Honestly its a tad hard to judge because the rendering quality isnt the best... but the overall shape and design of hotel is pretty good for a convention center hotel. More detail is needed for a final judgement imho
The new renderings certainly don't look Vegas-y to me. In fact they remind me a lot of the convention center hotels in Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Thats an amazingly qualified group of five... id be fine if they invited all five to submit and respond to rfp...great to see a project like this attract such heavy hitters, that can only mean good things long term for the quality and creativity of the proposals. Also, the Convention Centers approach to breaking the project up a bit appears to have been a wise decision
I'm still just bothered by the idea that the Convention Center is going into this thinking this needs to end up as an "Entertainment District." It seems like they can't see past expanding their own empire to see what's good for the city and successful long term. You're going to be asking a lot for conventioneers to want to track all the way upriver to go to things up there. If I'm eyeballing it right, it's about half a mile. The city is set up to pull them in the opposite direction now, towards the warehouse district, Riverwalk, Harrah's and the Quarter. I don't think the Convention Center Drive rebuild is going to solve all those problems.

What are the successful models of urban convention entertainment districts working? The most successful one is probably L.A. Live. But that fills a lot bigger need than just serving conventioneers, it doesn't "compete" against a ton of other draws within walking distance like this would, and the LA Convention area is just much more compact. The Atlanta Convention Center has a pretty decent entertainment district, not sure if it's as defined, but again it compliments something with a lot more destinations and less competition. Everything else I can think of is either suburban or sad.

Hopefully a smart developer like Domain looks at this and focuses the attention towards residential, office, retail and amenities that will be frequented by the LGD residents. Sure, in the lots on the lakeside of the Morial CC and the Omni hotel, get something to draw in tourists. But all the other lots need to be focused on adding new residents and attractions to real New Orleanians.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Hahah Blitzen looks like they remembered about those lots this year too... found this in their presentation

https://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaVi...meta_id=465709

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 8:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
I'm still just bothered by the idea that the Convention Center is going into this thinking this needs to end up as an "Entertainment District." It seems like they can't see past expanding their own empire to see what's good for the city and successful long term. You're going to be asking a lot for conventioneers to want to track all the way upriver to go to things up there. If I'm eyeballing it right, it's about half a mile. The city is set up to pull them in the opposite direction now, towards the warehouse district, Riverwalk, Harrah's and the Quarter. I don't think the Convention Center Drive rebuild is going to solve all those problems.

What are the successful models of urban convention entertainment districts working? The most successful one is probably L.A. Live. But that fills a lot bigger need than just serving conventioneers, it doesn't "compete" against a ton of other draws within walking distance like this would, and the LA Convention area is just much more compact. The Atlanta Convention Center has a pretty decent entertainment district, not sure if it's as defined, but again it compliments something with a lot more destinations and less competition. Everything else I can think of is either suburban or sad.

Hopefully a smart developer like Domain looks at this and focuses the attention towards residential, office, retail and amenities that will be frequented by the LGD residents. Sure, in the lots on the lakeside of the Morial CC and the Omni hotel, get something to draw in tourists. But all the other lots need to be focused on adding new residents and attractions to real New Orleanians.
Well calling something an entertainment district doesnt mean it cant be geared to locals, ill say this .. the quality of the respondents certainly gives me hope that we will see some really creative ideas and you are absolutely correct that this needs to appeal to locals as well other wise it will lose out.. people come to NOLA for NOLA so to make that area appealing it will need to appeal to locals just as much if not more than tourists to keep it vibrant. I think we will see that especially since they have gotten the two big things they want out of it already .. headquarters hotel and flagship entertainment venue.. bass pro and large modern movie theatre and stuff like trader joes and city target best buy would also be great things to get locals in there and on a regular basis on the blocks furthers from the river

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 8:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
I thought the quality of the responders was impressive as well. Particularly excited that Domain is interested in picking up a new large development area in the city, and I have to feel like they have the strongest chance at this point because they've done such a consistently good job with South Market District and have moved quickly for how large a development it is. But all of them seem like great choices on paper at least.
The financing and speed with which they developed south market is def most impressive.. I suppose they must be one of the favorites in this too because they understand how to create a neighborhood that appeals to both locals and tourists... either way definitely excited to see the concepts and proposals.. im assuming the convention center will need to release soon who or what the entertainment concept is so the people dont propose the same thing or seek the same tenant possibly

they do infer that its a live entertainment venue which would see to rule out move theater:

suppose a cirque du soleil New Orleans themed show could be feasible there

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 2:52 PM
-

After revisiting those 5 developers again Id have to say the weakest in my mind is the lauricella river park neighborhood group.. while they own elmwood i dont see anything in their portfolio indicating a capability to deliver a planned community of the type and prestige the convention center is looking for.

id say the signature projects of each developer are worth looking at since they will give an idea of what they can bring to such a presitigious project:

Atomic Entertainment Group:

Pullman Yard Atlanta

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/6/18...ie-development

Pros: seems to be creative developer and could bring in Hollywood South like they are bringing in the movie music industry in atlanta to this development

Cons: its just now starting construction and not much else in their portfolio

Domain Companies :

South Market District New Orleans

https://southmarketnola.com/

Pros: already know how to develop a neighborhood in NOLA, seems to have no problem with financing or construction and understands how to bring a vital mix to a development, seems to attract a great mix of tenants for a variety of needs

Cons: my only con that I can see is the Convention Center may decide they may be spread to thin in one market with both these developments or will not bring as many market firsts to the convention center with already having an existing development here

Provident Realty Advisors

Preston Hollow Village

https://prestonhollowvillage.com/

Pros: know how to develop a large mixed use community in a competitive landscape in Dallas, mix of local and national tenants

Cons: the developments the company has done do seem on the generic side and hardly the exciting tenants i think the convention center is looking for

Woodward/Carpenter group

Four Seasons New Orleans and Four Seasons Boston

https://carpenterandcompanyinc.com/p...ry/residential

Pros: can clearly deliver large cost projects and signature facilities in a range of cities and has experience in New Orleans. Is able to get large projects financed.

Cons: doesnt seem to have any real experience in neighborhood development but rather singular buildings, albeit large ones, also they are currently focused on the Four Seasons Redevelopment. I really think the convention center(all things equal) is going to want a group singularly focused on their neighborhood.

Without seeing any proposals my guess is the three groups the convention center asks to bid are: domain, provident, and third is a toss up between atomic and woodward/carpenter

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
After revisiting those 5 developers again Id have to say the weakest in my mind is the lauricella river park neighborhood group.. while they own elmwood i dont see anything in their portfolio indicating a capability to deliver a planned community of the type and prestige the convention center is looking for.

id say the signature projects of each developer are worth looking at since they will give an idea of what they can bring to such a presitigious project:

Atomic Entertainment Group:

Pullman Yard Atlanta

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/6/18...ie-development

Pros: seems to be creative developer and could bring in Hollywood South like they are bringing in the movie music industry in atlanta to this development

Cons: its just now starting construction and not much else in their portfolio

Domain Companies :

South Market District New Orleans

https://southmarketnola.com/

Pros: already know how to develop a neighborhood in NOLA, seems to have no problem with financing or construction and understands how to bring a vital mix to a development, seems to attract a great mix of tenants for a variety of needs

Cons: my only con that I can see is the Convention Center may decide they may be spread to thin in one market with both these developments or will not bring as many market firsts to the convention center with already having an existing development here

Provident Realty Advisors

Preston Hollow Village

https://prestonhollowvillage.com/

Pros: know how to develop a large mixed use community in a competitive landscape in Dallas, mix of local and national tenants

Cons: the developments the company has done do seem on the generic side and hardly the exciting tenants i think the convention center is looking for

Woodward/Carpenter group

Four Seasons New Orleans and Four Seasons Boston

https://carpenterandcompanyinc.com/p...ry/residential

Pros: can clearly deliver large cost projects and signature facilities in a range of cities and has experience in New Orleans. Is able to get large projects financed.

Cons: doesnt seem to have any real experience in neighborhood development but rather singular buildings, albeit large ones, also they are currently focused on the Four Seasons Redevelopment. I really think the convention center(all things equal) is going to want a group singularly focused on their neighborhood.

Without seeing any proposals my guess is the three groups the convention center asks to bid are: domain, provident, and third is a toss up between atomic and woodward/carpenter
Domain is definitely a strong choice, but i wonder if this is too much for them alone. I would have no problem with the convention center breaking up the site between 2 or even 3 of the groups (preferrable domain, provident and maybe one other). That would help keep the design of the area feel more organic and less like some artificial town center type development. The LGD and uptown in general could definitely use some more retail. Trader Joes, Target, best buy, dicks sporting goods/academy and a movie theater would be huge for the locals and good for convention goers at the same time. In my mind for this project to work this has to be a complete neighborhood which would benefit locals and make the upriver end of the convention center and the planned hotel feel like less of an island within the city. Basically the urban fabric should wrap around the convention center instead of a convention district stretching into the LGD. I think if they go with a hollywood south or a generic entertainment district it will struggle because it will be of little interest to most locals and more importantly convention goers may patronize some generic venues but this is still New Orleans and half of them on any given night are going to be going to the quarter anyway because that is where tourists want to go and that is what we are known for. If the district feels deserted no one will want to go, and then businesses will shutter and the entire thing will be a flop. Just my two cents anyway. Overall the strength of the responders is good.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 4:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
Domain is definitely a strong choice, but i wonder if this is too much for them alone. I would have no problem with the convention center breaking up the site between 2 or even 3 of the groups (preferrable domain, provident and maybe one other). That would help keep the design of the area feel more organic and less like some artificial town center type development. The LGD and uptown in general could definitely use some more retail. Trader Joes, Target, best buy, dicks sporting goods/academy and a movie theater would be huge for the locals and good for convention goers at the same time. In my mind for this project to work this has to be a complete neighborhood which would benefit locals and make the upriver end of the convention center and the planned hotel feel like less of an island within the city. Basically the urban fabric should wrap around the convention center instead of a convention district stretching into the LGD. I think if they go with a hollywood south or a generic entertainment district it will struggle because it will be of little interest to most locals and more importantly convention goers may patronize some generic venues but this is still New Orleans and half of them on any given night are going to be going to the quarter anyway because that is where tourists want to go and that is what we are known for. If the district feels deserted no one will want to go, and then businesses will shutter and the entire thing will be a flop. Just my two cents anyway. Overall the strength of the responders is good.
without a doubt it needs some generic chains that will draw in locals .. movie theatre is a def must and guaranteed winner/ crowd generator.. all on board for an Alamo Drafthouse, trying to think of other things that i think are a must: certainly trader joes and city target could work, if they could get apple in there that would be a big get too ...

it does feel like atomics plans for atlanta make the market street power plant a better fit for them too.. similar project parameters like major brownfield redevelopment and i think would be a neat concept next to this development as opposed to being the development

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:37 PM
-

731 St Charles

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
without a doubt it needs some generic chains that will draw in locals .. movie theatre is a def must and guaranteed winner/ crowd generator.. all on board for an Alamo Drafthouse, trying to think of other things that i think are a must: certainly trader joes and city target could work, if they could get apple in there that would be a big get too ...

it does feel like atomics plans for atlanta make the market street power plant a better fit for them too.. similar project parameters like major brownfield redevelopment and i think would be a neat concept next to this development as opposed to being the development
Based on my research, I feel like Provident has the most experience for what the convention center appears to be looking for in this development. The runner up would be Domain. (Obviously this is just my opinion)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
Based on my research, I feel like Provident has the most experience for what the convention center appears to be looking for in this development. The runner up would be Domain. (Obviously this is just my opinion)
I think you are probably right those are the top two... carpenter is obviously an interesting one that if i were them i would include just to see what they propose

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:46 PM
-

We are proud to be part of bringing The Burger Bar to the Canal Street Marriott!
#whatwillyoubuildtoday

Kimpton Hotel Fontenot

Coming early 2020...Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants New Orleans #palmisanoprojects

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...n-new-orleans/

LSU approves Charity Hospital redevelopment in downtown New Orleans; here's what's next

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...3a23e5644.html

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
The new renderings certainly don't look Vegas-y to me. In fact they remind me a lot of the convention center hotels in Chicago.
The Marriott at McCormick Square?????

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:03 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
The Marriott at McCormick Square?????
I think he means the older Hyatt, not the newer Marriott... I kinda see the resemblance.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
731 St Charles

Anyone have any idea why this project has seemingly stopped exterior construction? Renderings showed a brick facade, but there aren't any tie backs in the wall like you'd typically see if they were putting up masonry. Seems that they've continued building out the interior spaces on the upper floors, though. The Julia started after this one and finished months ago, I can't imagine why!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:40 PM
-

Not sure about the exterior but the project had to stop constrction awhile because of some ground floor zoning issues ... but its been under construction again for awhilw. Not sure about the exterior brick though

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 4:50 PM
TL;DR

Morning Call posted a rendering of a new store to their FB page; comments suggest they are planning to build on the vacant lot at City Park and Canal Blvd.

I am looking forward to those beignets again...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations