HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
Somebody who flew through the airport said it was an extremely long hike to the North Concourse. People with mobility problems would have a hard time. Any plans to fix this?
The current tunnel is temporary until they finish the permanent tunnel which is in a central location. Should save 10+ minutes.

Still bummed they didn't plan a train to connect concourses

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
The current tunnel is temporary until they finish the permanent tunnel which is in a central location. Should save 10+ minutes.

There is a train planned. It just won't happen until another concourse is added.

I think it is estimated to be needed between 2030 and 2040. There are variables that could speed it up such as another Olympics being awarded in 2030 or 2034.

The new layout allows for the addition of new concourses as they are needed without it impacting airport operations.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:

Do you know when this will happen? My elderly mother hurt her arm (from carrying bags) and almost missed her plane because of how long a walk it was between her connecting flights. Evidently, carts for people with mobility issues aren't ferrying anyone right now because of Covid either?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:50 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/reb...gress-gallery/

They're working on the main central tunnel that will connect the North and South concourses.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 12:37 AM

Lego store open

https://www.brickfanatics.com/everyt...rt-lego-store/

Lego store now open at the airport. The first lego store in a US airport.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 2:10 AM

So many people I've heard from are absolutely pissed about the time it takes to get to the north concourse.

How much time with the central tunnel save over the current temp tunnel? I always forget, but is a train not in the works?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 1:42 PM

^^^
To start, every passenger departing from a B gate will need to clear security in the main headhouse. Then, after passing through The Canyon, you’ll need to walk to the underground tunnel connecting the A and B gates.

The walk from the security checkpoint to the tunnel entrance takes about five to seven minutes, and you’ll then need to walk the nearly 1,000-foot tunnel before getting to the B terminal.

Though the trek is long, keep your eyes peeled to the walls — there’s a colorful art installation depicting Utah’s four seasons.

Fortunately, SLC is building a more convenient underground passageway, but that won’t be ready until late 2024. Once open, you’ll be able to head to the B gates right after clearing security, saving you at least ten minutes.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 6:18 PM
Engineer

Quote:
So many people I've heard from are absolutely pissed about the time it takes to get to the north concourse.

How much time with the central tunnel save over the current temp tunnel? I always forget, but is a train not in the works?
Last I heard a tram is in the plans but likely not until a 3rd concourse is built. So even when the central tunnel opens in 2024 it will just be moving walkways. I flew out of SLC after the new terminal opened when they were still using the old gates. I was flying out of the G gates (old A gates) and it took forever to walk there. The walk to the furthest of the new B gates is even further than that. I'm confused how the central tunnel will save any time because it's the same distance as using the current tunnel, unless you have to backtrack to the handful of gates that are further east.

Edit: The walk really wasn't that bad. It's not an unusually long walk for an airport, but I understand why people mention it.

Last edited by airhero; Dec 22, 2020 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 7:36 PM

https://www.ksl.com/article/50075314...ld-slc-airport

Maybe this was already posted on here, and I just missed it. Either way, I was really excited to see that they are able to save the world map from the old airport and mix it into the new. That was always one of my favorite parts of going to the airport as a kid, and it will be fun to have it in the new airport. Thanks to everyone on here for all of the updates, I don't post often, but lurk nearly every day.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerop View Post
https://www.ksl.com/article/50075314...ld-slc-airport

Maybe this was already posted on here, and I just missed it. Either way, I was really excited to see that they are able to save the world map from the old airport and mix it into the new. That was always one of my favorite parts of going to the airport as a kid, and it will be fun to have it in the new airport. Thanks to everyone on here for all of the updates, I don't post often, but lurk nearly every day.
This makes me so happy! I was really bummed when they previously said they couldn't save it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:41 AM
Exit 298

Saw the article of people complaining about the long walk to the B-gates and lack of wheelchairs during holiday travel.

Sounds like the New SLC had a bumpy landing for its first "big" run.

Are the B gates really that far, though? I've had to make the run from the old A-gates to the far end of the D concourse. It was no picnic, but nothing compared to trying to find my way around ATL.

Also, what's stopping SLC from putting in the underground people mover NOW?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 9:23 AM

I flew to Miami earlier this month out of the new airport. I was trying to understand why people find the new layout confusing and I still don't get it. The only thing that seemed a bit confusing to me was trying to figure out where to go for Uber and Lyft. the signage for that could have been more clear but it was a minor complaint. Aside from that, the new airport design is far simpler than any large airport I have ever been in.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 6:16 PM

There will always be people who complain about things changing no matter good the new design is. No point in paying much attention to them.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:46 PM

Here are a few shots of the excavation of the central tunnel taken Friday. (click for larger)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 10:13 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Progress on TRAX:

Last edited by Reeder113; Jan 27, 2021 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 10:28 PM
of SLC

Holy HUGE! ^^^

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:14 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Holy HUGE! ^^^
There, I added a "spoiler" button.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
There, I added a "spoiler" button.
You can also put an s, m, l, or h at the end of the url, before the .jpg[/img] end brackets, which should change the size. I think these stand for small, medium, large, and huge, but the huge usually turns out to be the correct size, go figure.

Last edited by Old&New; Jan 27, 2021 at 6:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:00 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
You can also put an s, m, l, or h at the end of the url, before the .jpg[/img] end brackets, which should change the size. I think these stand for small, medium, large, and huge, but the huge usually turns out to be the correct size, go figure.
That has never worked for me.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:09 PM
Space Magi

That might be because it only works for imgur links.

Nice to see progress on the TRAX station. When the pandemic is over, our new airport + functioning rail link to downtown is going to be a huge asset for the city. North Temple is going to be exploding with growth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West