HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

The photos of the 1956 Beverly Hills street dancers reminded me of this picture, Russ Tamblyn flipping for actress Venetia Stevenson in 1955, also in Bev Hills. A few years later Tamblyn was performing similar gymnastics on somewhat meaner streets, in Manhattan, up on the West Side. But that's another Story.

New York street gang gets ready to rumble, 1961

I don't think Russ made the cut on this image but these are his, ahem, homeys.

Okay, okay, so it's not a real street gang. Dancers warming up during the filming of West Side Story in New York, 1961

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Nov 15, 2016 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

I'm the new owner of this plate and when I finally go pick it up (mailing these things makes me nervous) I'll have to scan the whole thing for the NLA family.
That would be great Beaudry! It's been bugging me that I only have the three partial views.

So glad to hear you own the plate(s). I know you'll take great care of them.
__

re: The young lads under the streetlight.

Once you have the glass-plate in your possession you'll have to let me know if the boys, do in fact, have homemade scooters.

like this one

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 1:16 AM

Here's an interesting photograph I found a week or so ago of seven workmen posing in front of the Sante Fe Hospital in Los Angeles.

eBay

Initially I thought this was taken during construction, but then I noticed there are vines already growing on the building,
so the building has been there awhile when this photo was taken.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why there is a huge pile of sand in front of the hospital.

Any ideas?
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 15, 2016 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 1:35 AM

Has anyone heard of Quigley's Department Stores?

http://honey-days-test.blogspot.com/.../quigleys.html

At one point in time there were nine locations in the Los Angeles area.

The store pictured above was located in the Belmont Shores area of Long Beach, but I don't have an exact address.

Here's some information from a 1990 article (about the closing of the last Quigley's in Sherman Oaks)

"Competition from supermarkets was non-existent when Roger B. Quigley opened his own store during the Depression on the corner of Sunset and Fairfax in Hollywood.
"Basic merchandise at a reasonable price" was his slogan when he retired from Woolworth's and opened the first Quigley's in 1936."

"It was the heyday of the dime store and Quigley did well for himself and his family, eventually owning a chain of nine Quigley's in Southern California.
The Sherman Oaks location is the last of the family-owned stores."

You can read the full article here:
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-...-gritty-things

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 15, 2016 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:09 AM

For GaylorWilshire andMichaelRyerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
By golly, I think you're exactly right. Thanks.
http://www.carmodel.com/dinky-englan...vertible/59613

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's an interesting photograph I found a week or so ago of seven workmen posing in front of the Sante Fe Hospital in Los Angeles.

eBay

Initially I thought this was taken during construction, but then I noticed there are vines already growing on the building,

Your guess is as good as mine as to why there is a huge pile of sand in front of the hospital.

Any ideas?
_
This old building was seen here about 4 years ago. These Railroad Hospitals are most interesting.

That hill seems to be part of the landscaping at the entrance and was possibly covered in grass at one time. But it does look rather odd.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7834

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 8:56 AM

Quote:

Has anyone heard of Quigley's Department Stores?

http://honey-days-test.blogspot.com/.../quigleys.html

At one point in time there were nine locations in the Los Angeles area.

The store pictured above was located in the Belmont Shores area of Long Beach, but I don't have an exact address.
According to the 1963 Long Beach CD, Quigley's Department Store was at 5026 E 2nd Street. The "Lu" on the right of the picture above belonged to an import company called Lucille of Tripoli. The Quigley's building has been replaced by this brick structure.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:

eBay

Any ideas?
_

I believe the 'pile of sand' is sort of an optical illusion. The camera is looking up and over a slope that is part of the grounds of the hospital. Here's another nice shot of the hospital.

Santa Fe Railroad Hospital, opposite Hollenbeck Park, Boyle Heights, 1905

I think if you look through the trees you can make out the 'pile of sand' directly opposite the entrance.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Nov 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:33 PM

Quote:

eBay

Any ideas?
_

Did the hospital have a lot of cats?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
According to the 1963 Long Beach CD, Quigley's Department Store was at 5026 E 2nd Street. The "Lu" on the right of the picture above belonged to an import company called Lucille of Tripoli. The Quigley's building has been replaced by this brick structure.

GSV
Strangely enough, just last weekend I was reminiscing with my brother and mentioned Quigley's. I've seen at least two or three of them "in the flesh," and have been in one or another at least a few times. As I recall, its stock in trade was kind of a combination of notions ("notions" sounds quaint now, but it used to be a common merchandising term for miscellaneous doohickeys of interest to, primarily, the ladies), foundations (ladies' undies!), cosmetics, stationery, gift-wrapping, household decorative items (vases etc.), and so on. My mother would go there for hosiery.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 5:53 PM

Thanks CityBoydoug and MichaelRyerson for the follow up on the 'sand pile' in front of the Santa Fe Hospital.

I messed with the contrast of the photo below to try and figure out the landscaping.

Originally posted by Westcork

link provided by CBD

There appears to be a winding pathway on the slope leading to a second story entrance. (unless I'm seeing things)
_

Good job in finding Quigley's Hoss.

There's isn't much to find about Quigley's online. I couldn't even find a photograph of the last Quigley's in Sherman Oaks (which lasted until 1990)

All I found was this 1956 ceramic whale ashtray that was purchased at Quigley's.

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/1956-c.../121751393711/

The fish winks on the opposite side. <---just like my little emoji-guy is doing.

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/1956-c.../121751393711/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This is "Job 868: Peggy Dey, Milgold (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1950".

Hoss, that's a helluva lot of wrought-iron!

The nearest wrought-iron manufacturer in the 1950s was at 1725 W. Slauson.

lapl

Of course, I don't know for sure if this is where Milgold got theirs.

And guess what!...there's still a wrought-iron manufacturers at that address.

gsv

This is the door of a business a couple doors down.

on an otherwise unadorned bldg.

I'm sure they were given a good deal. -good advertisement u know

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

The photos of the 1956 Beverly Hills street dancers reminded me of this picture, Russ Tamblyn flipping for actress Venetia Stevenson in 1955, also in Bev Hills. A few years later Tamblyn was performing similar gymnastics on somewhat meaner streets, in Manhattan, up on the West Side. But that's another Story.

New York street gang gets ready to rumble, 1961

I don't think Russ made the cut on this image but these are his, ahem, homeys.

Okay, okay, so it's not a real street gang. Dancers warming up during the filming of West Side Story in New York, 1961

I saw Russ Tamblyn in Beverly Hills last July!

It was here at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences building at 8949 Wilshire Blvd. It was opened in 1975.
(I don't find that we've seen this Beverly Hills building on NLA before. Too obvious?)

Cinema Treasures

They had a summer series of restored Academy archival film prints and they showed a magnificent 70mm print of West Side Story at their Samuel Goldwyn Theatre.

AMPAS

In attendance were Russ Tamblyn and George Chakiris (both 81), Maria Jimenez Henley and producer Walter Mirisch (95).

http://www.oscars.org/events/west-side-story-1961/?

This link includes several Q&A segments about the filming (most of it done in West Hollywood's Samuel Goldwyn Studio (now The Lot). They talk about the casting and the New York filming etc.

Russ Tamblyn just finished the filming of the Twin Peaks revival series.

*Speaking of Venetia Stevenson in the photo above, she is interviewed in the recent documentary: Tab Hunter Confidential.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I saw Russ Tamblyn in Beverly Hills last July!

It was here at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences building at 8949 Wilshire Blvd. It was opened in 1975.
(I don't find that we've seen this Beverly Hills building on NLA before. Too obvious?)

Cinema Treasures

They had a summer series of restored Academy archival film prints and they showed a magnificent 70mm print of West Side Story at their Samuel Goldwyn Theatre.

AMPAS

In attendance were Russ Tamblyn and George Chakiris (both 81), Maria Jimenez Henley and producer Walter Mirisch (95).

http://www.oscars.org/events/west-side-story-1961/?

This link includes several Q&A segments about the filming (most of it done in West Hollywood's Samuel Goldwyn Studio (now The Lot). They talk about the casting and the New York filming etc.

Russ Tamblyn just finished the filming of the Twin Peaks revival series.

*Speaking of Venetia Stevenson in the photo above, she is interviewed in the recent documentary: Tab Hunter Confidential.

I had a note from someone on my photo-stream who had seen this image from the set of West Side Story to tell me the guy
on the extreme right (kinda cut in half, unfortunately) was his uncle Tucker Smith who played 'Ice' in the movie. This happens
from time to time. Anyway I felt compelled to share this little personal story with him.

2nacapt: That's my uncle last in the line. Tucker Smith "Ice"

Michael Ryerson PRO 7m:

2nacapt Wow, that's really cool. I'm glad you saw this pic. Such a great movie. I have a longish story to tell you about the movie.
I was in the Marine Corps in 1965 and on a ship (with a flight deck) going overseas. The Navy showed movies every night on the
flight deck but they kept the sailors and Marines separated (for obvious reasons). They did this by first showing a movie for the crew
of the ship (the USS Ogden) and then clearing the flight deck before showing a movie for us. Not always the same movie.
I don't know why that was but Marines being Marines we were always on the lookout for being short-changed somehow.
One night the Navy sees West Side Story, which was still pretty famous having won all those awards, and then they get ready
to show us some shitty costume drama (Quo Vadis, I think, which was actually a pretty good movie but we didn't know that at the time)
and a fight breaks out, chairs are being thrown around, a couple of bloody noses, when our officers show up. There's a big pow-wow
back on the fantail. The Marine officers want to just shut it down but the Navy officers prevail and we get to see West Side Story.
We're 18-19 year old kids, full of testosterone, and we're snapping our fingers and humming the main theme at each other for days
afterwards. In Vietnam we kind of dispersed, went on to different units, and pretty much lost touch with each other. There were
200-300 Marines on the Ogden and every once in a while I'd run across someone who'd come over on her. We always greeted
each other with those first five notes of the main theme, and then we'd laugh. One night, a long time later, we were taking
incoming from North Vietnam and we'd scrambled into a slit trench to wait it out. Bunch of guys, some I knew some I didn't.
We're in there about ten minutes and then I hear somebody down the line rhythmically snapping their fingers and I lean out
and look down to my right and I see some guy from the Ogden looking at me and smiling, holding his hand up and snapping his fingers
...'from your first cigarette to your last dying day...' I'm sorry your uncle died so young. For some of us that movie was a special thing.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:46 PM

Very interesting. I'm glad he contacted you Michael.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:54 PM

1961 - Pacific Boulevard and Gage Ave. Harris & Frank 6400 Pacific Blvd.; JCPenny, 6420 Pacific Blvd.
http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/49259

GoogleSView

Google street view

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 7:14 PM

As the sign says, Gateway Public Market, 8720 Long Beach Blvd. (Long gone)

1929 - Sign

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/28500

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 9:25 PM

Here's another Beverly Hills photoset from Julius Shulman. It's "Job 2951: Harold Levitt, Farmers' Insurance Company Building (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1960".

The street signs give away the location - 11025 Santa Monica Boulevard.

Both from Getty Research Institute

I think that the building only survived up until sometime in the '80s. Here's what you'll find on the corner of Camden Avenue today.

GSV

Finally, this house with a small turret is down Camden Avenue. I think it's the one which can be seen between the supports of the Farmers' Insurance Company Building on the left of the second Shulman photo.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 7:54 PM

Good eye Hoss.

You're talking about this one, right?

detail

I just got back from Illinois. I see the thread was extremely quiet while I was gone.

Well I have a thousand items up my sleeve... ready to post.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 16, 2016 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 7:55 PM

Quote:
I had a note from someone on my photo-stream who had seen this image from the set of West Side Story to tell me the guy
on the extreme right (kinda cut in half, unfortunately) was his uncle Tucker Smith who played 'Ice' in the movie. This happens
from time to time. Anyway I felt compelled to share this little personal story with him.
Thanks for that story MR, I liked that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos