HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Like Blaster, my guess would be that the photographer was on/in what-is-now the Fairmont Miramar Hotel. Here's a Google Earth view from there.

Google Maps

The Penney's building is still there, although it's missing a few windows. This image is actually from 2011 because I wanted a view from across the street without trucks in the way, but it still looks roughly the same.

GSV

The sign on the corner may have been this one for the Miramar, seen here in a 1954 Julius Shulman photo (far right). Just to remind everyone, Coffee Dan's was also at 2nd and Wilshire.
I used to hit that Bob Burns fairly regularly back in the 80's and 90's -- it was a wonderful old throwback with dark wood paneling, dark Tartan carpeting, pretty good steaks and martini's. There are still a few of these time machines in operation around the city -- the Tam O'Shanter in Atwater Village, Taix, Pacific Dining Car, Taylor's and HMS Bounty come to mind.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's two more 'mystery' locations for your Friday.

Slide #1

ebay

Slide #2

ebay

_
Slide #1: We're looking northward on Griffith Ave. at E. 26th St, a block or two south of Adams Blvd. The apartment building to the right of the LARy/LATL 421 still stands at 2612-14 Griffith Ave., but the white garage (?) at the edge of the frame has been replaced by another apartment structure.

Slide #2: LARy/LATL 192 is southbound on N. Spring St. just below Sunset Blvd.

Last edited by HenryHuntington; Oct 29, 2016 at 4:17 AM. Reason: Better explanation of location of Slide 1.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 2:58 PM

Slide #1: Here's a picture of the apartment building on Griffith Avenue mentioned by HenryHuntington.

GSV

Slide #2: There's nothing left to match a GSV image to, so here's an earlier picture of the building on the left from a recent post.

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Gratuitious map

~1928. Just wish copy was bigger.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...y-archives.jpg
I found this larger version on eBay. There are even bigger digital versions for sale online, but at least you can read some of the text here. The cartoons really bring this Hollywood map alive!

eBay

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Some of Mini-Golf's popularity may have been due to minimal outlay for starting such a business. This probably even covers elaborate courses, such as Mary Pickford's on Wilshire. http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=20496 The '29 depression probably had much to do with the Mini-golf fad - fade.

This is my favorite miniature golf course I've seen on NLA. Or anywhere, actually!

I know this photo of it was previously posted at one time, but a search didn't come up with it. (Some posts of this area have missing photos, though.)

A couple close-ups:

These were from L.A. Curbed

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 8:00 PM

It's another single image set from Julius Shulman today. This is "Job 3262: Hugh Gibbs, Young Men's Christian Association (Lakewood, Calif.), 1961".

Getty Research Institute

With a number on the building and a street sign in the shot, the location of 5425 Centralia Avenue wasn't hard to find. The building, however, is long gone. Today you'll find the Village Grove housing community there. It was built in 1980, at which point the YMCA moved to 5835 E Carson Street. According to an article at presstelegram.com, the facility was upgraded in 2015. Here's how the Weingart-Lakewood Family YMCA looks now.

GSV

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 10:03 PM

Several recent posts re Sunset/Crescent Heights area, here we are again, 1966.

photo: Elliot Erwitt

IMO, the barefoot guy is a dead ringer for a (very) young Frank Langella.

The apts up the street have survived. Also the odd little building adjacent to the rear of the UPS store. It has its own address at 1514 N. Laurel Cyn.:

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 12:22 AM
BANNED

LA Noir business

When Thomas Barrington and Harry Hancock walked into Eddy's Bar in Los Angeles and sat down for drinks they seemed like normal customers, but they were actually robbers armed with guns and bad intentions. These were hardened types who had spent a combined fifteen years in prison. Both been free for less than a year. Their plan was to wait until Eddy's closed and force its employees at gunpoint to open the safe. Since the place was a combined bar, restaurant, and liquor store, and it was Saturday night, they knew the safe would have plenty of money inside.

More info at:
http://www.pulpinternational.com/pul...rd/murder.html

ER had this here about 16 months ago:
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=29079

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Oct 30, 2016 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 3:05 AM

re: Turkish Baths in the Wright & Callender bldg.

Quote:
The Wright and Callender Building at 4th and Hill St.

USC Digital Library

On the left of the Wright and Callender Building there's a sign for Turkish Baths. It looks like 4th Street was the place to come for a Turkish bath!

Detail of picture above.

Hoss,

I just happened upon this rare business card for the 'Turkish Baths' that you spotted in the old Wright & Callender photograph.

The full name was 'Pacific Turkish Baths'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-era-BUS...AAAOSwv9hW6M1N

This joke was on the back of the business card.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 30, 2016 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 4:04 AM

Quote:
I found this larger version on eBay. There are even bigger digital versions for sale online, but at least you can read some of the text here. The cartoons really bring this Hollywood map alive!

Thanks HossC!

The map was drawn by William Harrison Godwin, who, aside from creating similar cartoon maps for other popular locales, owned two Carmel Hotels. http://earlycaliforniaantiques.com/w...ory-map-ap434/

Your larger version brings into focus many satirical views of Hollywood in the late '20s. Traversing the Cahuenga Pass could have proved an ordeal for some cars. Not sure what to make of Good Humor Ice Cream, other than it must have been a popular novelty when first introduced. Long forgotten studios located at or near "Poverty Row, e.g., Chadwick Studios, Wm Horsley, California Studios, Stern Films, Duke Worne Productions and James Ormont. Celebrities, who once qualified as household names , e.g., Hobart Bosworth, Theodore Roberts and Rupert Hughes? Guessing Le Conte Junior High and Fairfax Junior High were noteworthy.

http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/05/25/38/19_big.jpg

http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/04/16/01/55_big.jpg

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 9:19 AM

In trying to find a higher-quality version of the Los Angeles map from above, I stumbled on a FABULOUS site:

http://www.davidrumsey.com/

This is an amazing repository of maps. I found the very map you were seeking at:

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/serv...164&trs=68252#

note in the upper right corner the option to EXPORT, when you click on that it offers you the choice of downloading this map for free in a HUGE version. They offer this for ALL of their maps.

Enjoy

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 1:19 PM

Hollywood maps vs Noirish Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Murder in front of 663 Lamar Street, 30 May 1952.
‘Choppie’? Your kid comes home with a nickname like ‘Choppie’ and you’ve got to know there’s trouble brewing. Lamar Street, east of the river in a tough part of town. But maybe they’re all tough parts of town.
"Now that's what I call a great opening paragraph for a hardboiled LA noir novel."

These perfect noirish literary lines by MR and the comment by Blaster make me think to promote Lamar Street and its edge of Downtown neighborhood as the 4th epicenter of Noir !
As a reminder :
1st Bunker Hill by GW
2nd Ferguson Alley by me
3rd East 5th Street by e_r

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 3:52 PM

Help Needed

Am researching family history and don't have access to LAPL files (out of state).
Looking for pictures of South Grand Avenue between 6th & 7th - specifically 624 S. Grand Ave but any of that block would be great. The catch ... need pics between 1904-1909.
Also have problems searching because JPGetty bought this location to build One Wilshire Building so most searches result in references to this.

Library of congress map - J10 / 11 or K10 /11 indicates building / business names in that location to provide any assistance. Under rooming houses listed on this block are Wilhelm Apartments and Heinzeman in same block

Library of Congress image https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4364l.pm011040/

Appreciate if any sleuths would be willing to assist me.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 6:04 PM

You can access LAPL's photo collection and LAPL's City Directory collection from outside the state, although I believe other collections/facilities are limited to library card holders.

Here's an enlargement of the 1910 Baist map to show the area we're looking at. The Hotel Heinzeman was at 618 S Grand, with 624 right next door.

www.historicmapworks.com

I've previously posted this 1905 shot of the Wilhelm Apartements at 639 S Grand.

Quote:
It's possible that the back of 624 S Grand is visible behind the Hotel Francis in this 1909 LoC image.

Quote:
BTW. The demo permit with the closest date to the range we're looking at for 624 S Grand is July 12, 1919.

Online Building Records

There must be a picture of the Heinzeman somewhere - I'll keep looking ...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Slide #1: We're looking northward on Griffith Ave. at E. 26th St, a block or two south of Adams Blvd. The apartment building to the right of the LARy/LATL 421 still stands at 2612-14 Griffith Ave., but the white garage (?) at the edge of the frame has been replaced by another apartment structure.

GSV by HossC

Thanks HenryHuntington for figuring out the mystery locations.
I really appreciate it.
& thanks to Hoss for the gsv.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 8:54 PM

That apartment house appears to have a curious layout, which it would be interesting to see. It looks like there are four apartments, the two on the ground floor having individual entrances while the ones upstairs are connected to a lobby/stairwell whose street access is the center set of doors. Or something.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 8:54 PM

I agree Earl.

the step situation is quite odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
The shot might possibly have been taken from the Miramar Hotel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC
Like Blaster, my guess would be that the photographer was on/in what-is-now the Fairmont Miramar Hotel.
Thanks! It never dawned on me that it might have been taken from the Miramar Hotel.

Hoss, I'm pretty amazed that you found a front view of the sign I inquired about. (below)

detail

Originally posted by HossC

Looks like they might be advertising a dog show (at the bottom of the sign)

__

But still no word on this building, right?

detail

Could be the back of a large theater?
__

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 9:12 PM

Pantages Theatre

For the first time, I am a Pantages season ticket holder. I bought the season earlier this year when it was announced Hamilton would be coming in 2017.

As a "thank you" to the new ticket holders, the Pantages invited us to a free open house event, with food and drink and access to the interior of the theatre.

Here are a few photos from that night. (I did go have two fingers of Glenfidditch in the Frolic Room beforehand (RIP Jack Vincennes), saw a bit of the Dodgers NLCS game in there, got high-fived by strangers, etc, but didn't get any photos of the famous Frolic neon. I guess this means I need to go and try again. And again.)

Ceiling of the outside foyer/lobby/whatever it is named.

It had been covered up for Cleopatra in 62, and stayed that way until the 1999 renovations.

Pantages 1 by Kimberly, on Flickr
Source: My personal photos

Spectacular center chandelier inside the theatre. The sheer size of this thing can't be understood from a photograph. You must see it in person. Men must climb into it from the ceiling, and then down into it using a ladder to change its bulbs. It is massive.

Pantages 2 by Kimberly, on Flickr

Lobby interior

Pantages 3 by Kimberly, on Flickr

Art deco statues with nods to aviation which was a large industry in SoCal at the time of the theatre's construction. Howard Hughes owned this theatre for a time.

Pantages 4 by Kimberly, on Flickr

View from the stage

Pantages 5 by Kimberly, on Flickr

View from my seat

Pantages 6 by Kimberly, on Flickr

View of ceiling elements from the balcony

Pantages 7 by Kimberly, on Flickr

Lobby interior

Pantages 8 by Kimberly, on Flickr

Last edited by Lomara; Sep 6, 2019 at 7:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 9:19 PM

Amazing photographs Lomara! Thanks for posting them.

I was in the Pantages Hollywood only once. I saw Lena Horne: The Lady and her Music" in the 1980s.

pinterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
That apartment house appears to have a curious layout, which it would be interesting to see. It looks like there are four apartments, the two on the ground floor having individual entrances while the ones upstairs are connected to a lobby/stairwell whose street access is the center set of doors. Or something.

gsv

Earl, I just found out the apartment building was built in 1910!

"2612 Griffith Ave is a multi-family home in Los Angeles, CA 90011. This 3,168 square foot multi-family home sits on a 3,000 square foot lot and features 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms.
This property was built in 1910."

Exterior Information:
Framework Structure Material: Unknown

How could they not know what framework was used. Isn't it obvious the framework of an apartment building of this size in 1910 would be wood?
(or am I not understanding what they're talking about?)

info from:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angele...1/home/6930799

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 30, 2016 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

detail of Amusement Map 1929.

I also thought 3940dxer/David might like to explore the 'Magnetic Hill' area. I've never heard of it before.

___

In the upper right (not circled in red) is a 'Palace de Glace (ice)'. Do you think this was an ice skating venue?.

The recently-mentioned 1928-Cartoon map contains many of the same references at the '29 Amusement Map. This map also references "Magnetic Hill." Unable to confirm the exact location, but a cursory search includes Magnetic Terrace (Trousdale Estates near Warbler Way and Doheny Drive) listed in the '29CD. Unofficial "Gravity Hills" can be found in Sylmar and Altadena.

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/serv...164&trs=68252#

Jack Mulhall is "on" the map too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Mulhall

Jack and Billie Dove
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...165cc5a81d.jpg

Could the '28 map or other works by artist, William Harrison Godwin, have influenced R. Crumb, of Zap Comix fame?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Zap_Comix1.jpg

Last edited by BifRayRock; Oct 31, 2016 at 12:05 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos