HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 3:47 PM
somewhere in-between

A view of the new courthouse on Monday, with storms rolling in. taken from the top floor of The Exchange. The penthouse on this thing is massive, but you don't really appreciate it from the ground, with the deep roof overhangs . It becomes much more evident from higher vantage points -

Most of those who follow this thread probably also follow MLive and other local media outlets. In case you missed it, here's just a few recent development-related articles. The first two are about the proposed event center. The third is about Phase 2 of the Farmers Market. For the first one, I'm honestly glad that the county is waiting to approve the land sale, in efforts to try and find out more info. It confirms what I was alluding to earlier, that the developer's language in their proposal about community benefits is pretty vague -

Last edited by deja vu; Dec 29, 2023 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 3:14 PM

Some news about the old fire station (116 Cedar) in last month's brownfield minutes:

Quote:
Mr. Rich McDonald, Hinman Company, and Mr. Greg Dobson, AVB, were present to speak about the project. Mr.
McDonald assured Board members that they have had regular meetings with the City and MEDC to make sure they
meet each other’s goals in terms of what could happen with this site. He said their support was necessary for things
to go to the next level. This project was being incorporated with other properties they own and control in the area –
including some possible investment in the State Theater. Mr. McDonald said they are working on it, but it involves
a lot of pieces and is complicated.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 12:32 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewInKzoo View Post
Some news about the old fire station (116 Cedar) in last month's brownfield minutes:
Something really needs to be done with that site. Remember this concept, from 5 years back?

Source: MLive | Courtesy Hollander Development Corp. / Byce & Associates Inc.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 12:45 AM
somewhere in-between

Eastside Square progress (general location) -

Source: Facebook | Kalamazoo County Land Bank

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 2:02 AM
somewhere in-between

There are few greater vantage points of downtown Kalamazoo than from the top floor of The Exchange building. Spring is really starting to come into focus from up here. These are my own photos, taken yesterday -

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:11 PM
somewhere in-between

Just a few news article updates -

Quote:
Northside Association for Community Development breaks ground on Kalamazoo homes
Gabrielle Dawson | WWMT News Channel 3
April 22, 2023

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:41 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Nice it’s been really enjoyable watching downtown fill out over the past few years, great angle btw. Kalamazoo’s got a very healthy amount of urban development for a small-midsized city it’s been a long time since my partying days at western, my sister just got a place in Valparaiso I’ll have to spend some time in kzoo when I head out that way.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 3:15 PM
somewhere in-between

Vicksburg -

the Village of Vicksburg had a groundbreaking last week for a modest new municipal building that will be constructed directly adjacent to its current building. It is touted as being funded with zero tax millage increases and with zero additional debt incurred, with a maximum cost of $2.45 million -

Quote:
Village of Vicksburg breaks ground on new municipal building
Anthony Sylvester | WWMT News Channel 3
April 24, 2023

Source: MLive | Village of Vicksburg

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 5:39 PM
somewhere in-between

Battle Creek -

First announced in spring 2018, New Holland Brewing finally opened its downtown Battle Creek location at 64 W Michigan Ave. on March 31, 2023 -

Quote:
New Holland Brewing Company opens in Battle Creek after three-year wait
Gabrielle Dawson | WWMT News Channel 3
March 30 2023

Source: Phil Gawel | WWMT

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 5:20 PM
somewhere in-between

A few updates from this morning -

The new WMU student center is almost ready to open -

WMU Dunbar Hall renovation -

Kalamazoo Downtown Justice Facility -

ISK Behavioral Health Urgent Care -

C&D Recycling Center (Kalamazoo Township) -

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:40 AM
Fourth and Main

I like the fins on the WMU Student Center and did I read it has a brewpub in it? Awesome! That is also a nice courthouse. The courthouse has an updated mid-century modern look, with contemporary materials.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:47 PM
Doc Love 3.0

The student center is nice, I really like the stenciled panels. The way the lighting and angle change the effect is cool in a simple tasteful way. I’m a big fan of the updated mid-century modern revival, I think more of it would fit in really well in most MI cities. A brewpub in the student center man drinking culture has really changed for the better since my tours of campus.

Last edited by Velvet_Highground; May 31, 2023 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 1:24 AM
Fourth and Main

Today, Colleges go above-and-beyond to attract students.

Michigan has several great examples of the style (mid-century modern) and one of the biggest names of that time was in Michigan. When I first saw that courthouse, I thought of an insurance company building in Minneapolis that was designed in the 1960s by a famous Michigan architect. It's not an exact match, but (in my opinion) an updated take on that building. I do think that building was their inspiration.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 3:28 PM
somewhere in-between

^ You must be thinking of the Yamasaki-designed Northwestern National Life Building. Michigan was home to some powerhouse mid-century modern architects like Minoru Yamasaki, Alden Dow, Eero Saarinen, and Gunnar Birkerts, just to name a few. It's one of the things that led me to pursuing a career in architecture, being surrounded by so many iconic buildings.

Last I heard, there are still plans for there to be a brewpub in the new WMU student center. Brewing is a big industry in Kalamazoo so it kind of makes sense to me (nearby KVCC has a nationally-recognized, award-winning sustainable brewing program). But yeah, university-sanctioned student drinking on campus seems like a pretty progressive idea, no matter where you are. Side note, the entire building is about a year behind schedule, I think mainly due to a structural issue that took a long time to resolve.

The design of the new courthouse is also reminiscent of modern architecture that you'd find in south Florida, with the deep overhangs, slender columns, and white / light color tones. It vaguely reminds me of the Miami Dolphins (Hard Rock) Stadium, for example. The design architect four the courthouse was HOK. They partnered with local architect-of-record TowerPinkster (the same partnership that produced the Family Court Facility on Gull Road a few years back).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 12:32 AM
Fourth and Main

That has to be one of the most awesome things I've seen a university create, to attract students. And I've seen a lot of big ideas from universities, over the past decade, to attract students.

Eero Saarinen was the person I was speaking of when I said "one of the biggest names of that time" and yes, I was comparing the courthouse to Yamasaki's Northwestern National Life Building. I wanted to avoid directly saying names and buildings, to prevent fights based on my opinions. Give just enough information for an architecture fan to accurately guess on the first try. To me, it does look like an updated version of the Northwestern National Life Building, but that is just my opinion. I did notice what appears to be a skylight between the mechanical penthouses. It would be interesting to see the space under that!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:25 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I did notice what appears to be a skylight between the mechanical penthouses. It would be interesting to see the space under that!
Good eye! That's one of my favorite features of the building. They could have easily just made the penthouse span the whole length of the building, missing out on a great opportunity for daylight and connectivity. I remember reading that the atrium space will also feature some sort of art installation. I was able to stand in that space last July during a construction tour. I'm sure it looks a lot different now, but these two photos that I took, below, give a sense of the scale and visual impact, looking up -

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 2:37 PM
somewhere in-between

Portage -

Tall Timbers progress, from end of May. 180 units, ~183,000 SF (more info) -

Source: Facebook | AVB

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 9:08 PM
somewhere in-between

I took a drive to Battle Creek yesterday to see progress on the Double Tree by Hilton (former McCamly Plaza Hotel) conversion. It was a beautiful overcast chilly day for some photos -

I also managed a quick drive-by of the New Holland Brewing Co. space -

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 2:45 PM
somewhere in-between

Portage -

Groundbreaking events for the first 2 out of 6 new public elementary schools occurred recently. Portage Central Elementary on May 23, and Haverhill Elementary on June 5. These are part of the larger, $175 million bond project that voters passed in 2021 which will replace 5 elementary buildings and heavily renovate a 6th -

Quote:
Construction on Central Elementary School begins following groundbreaking event
Katie Sergent | WWMT News Channel 3
May 23, 2023
(images below are from the Haverhill groundbreaking event)

Source: Joel Bissell | MLive

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 9:39 PM
somewhere in-between

Battle Creek -

The new, $35 million Bronson Behavioral Health Hospital had its ribbon cutting on June 15, 2023 -

Quote:
Bronson Behavioral Health Hospital Hosts Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Bronson Health Press Release
June 15, 2023

Source: Bronson Health

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations