HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Can the Admin please merge this thread back into the original please?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=200816

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Not a great location, not a great design and not a great value.

#flop
Ok, I can agree with you the location isn't ideal -but it's no different than Claridge Icon or Second Ave West by Domicile. However, if there is an entrance/exit on Cambridge South, you are in a very tranquil neighbourhood and a 2 min walk from Dow's Lake.

But how can you have even formed an opinion about the design and value? Value is a factor of quality over price - I don't think either the specifications or pricing is known at this time. And Design - well I highly doubt that basic rendering is going to be 100% accurate.

I'll wait until more details are released until I form an opinion.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Ok, I can agree with you the location isn't ideal -but it's no different than Claridge Icon or Second Ave West by Domicile. However, if there is an entrance/exit on Cambridge South, you are in a very tranquil neighbourhood and a 2 min walk from Dow's Lake.

But how can you have even formed an opinion about the design and value? Value is a factor of quality over price - I don't think either the specifications or pricing is known at this time. And Design - well I highly doubt that basic rendering is going to be 100% accurate.

I'll wait until more details are released until I form an opinion.
Seems like the building has just been dropped there in the middle of other ugly buildings....just look at the garage on the corner....just not appealing.

Perhaps if they had frontage on Carling.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Seems like the building has just been dropped there in the middle of other ugly buildings....just look at the garage on the corner....just not appealing.

Perhaps if they had frontage on Carling.
Welcome to the term gentrification. Whole neighbourhoods can't change at once, it takes time. So you'll get some great looking new builds beside some older, poorly kept homes and buildings. Over time, the older properties will change too.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:21 PM

Passed this location on my way home and there was a surveyor taking measurements on site and yellow tape blocking off the buildings at the Cambridge side of the property. Perhaps some well-timed initial work to go along with their initial advertising campaign??

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the term gentrification. Whole neighbourhoods can't change at once, it takes time. So you'll get some great looking new builds beside some older, poorly kept homes and buildings. Over time, the older properties will change too.
Thank you for the term gentrification, did not know there was a specific word for that.......which is the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents based on Webster's.

Quite true.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:00 PM

This might not be the best example of gentrification - being so close to the Glebe and Dow's Lake, it wasn't a deteriorating neighbourhood. A better example would be the ByWard Market 15-10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Thank you for the term gentrification, did not know there was a specific word for that.......which is the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents based on Webster's.

Quite true.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
This might not be the best example of gentrification - being so close to the Glebe and Dow's Lake, it wasn't a deteriorating neighbourhood. A better example would be the ByWard Market 15-10 years ago.
Perhaps not the Glebe or Dows Lake, but the Glebe annex (I think that's the proper name for houses NW of Bronson/Carling) save for the Charlesfort Buildings and this commercial block (SW corner of Bronson & Carling down to the new Domicile building) are pretty decrepit.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:30 PM

I can't see Bronson ever being a desirable area simply due to the extremely high traffic volumes at all times of night and day.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding View Post
I can't see Bronson ever being a desirable area simply due to the extremely high traffic volumes at all times of night and day.
And many people never thought the ByWard Market would be a desirable place to live due to the crime and such. In the next 10 years, neighbourhoods that I never thought would be popular places to live will be developed - Vanier, Chinatown, mechanicsville.

Bronson is a busy street, but that can be viewed as a positive as well - you're close to a main traffic artery where you can get around Ottawa fairly easily. Another positive feature about that area is it's proximity to Dow's Lake. As I commented earlier, is there was an entrace/exit on Cambridge, you would be literally 2 blocks from the beautiful Dow's Lake park area. This won't be the second coming of Rockcliffe, but there are certainly positive aspects about this location.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding View Post
When I lived in Toronto, I lived in an apartment that was located at the corner of Yonge & Eglinton and my apartment faced Yonge St. I loved it!

I'm sure that corner is busier than anything ever seen at any hour at Bronson & Carling.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenjager View Post
When I lived in Toronto, I lived in an apartment that was located at the corner of Yonge & Eglinton and my apartment faced Yonge St. I loved it!

I'm sure that corner is busier than anything ever seen at any hour at Bronson & Carling.
That may be your cup of tea but it certainly isn't the same for others. My friend lives on the 2nd floor of a building at corner of Gladstone and Preston in Little Italy (her family has a restaurant on the ground floor) and I could not believe how busy/noisy Preston is.

I have visited her on a couple of occasions, once on Saturday night and recently on a Monday morning and my God, I have to commend her for putting up with the noise. There are all kind of vehicles and traffic, everything from big trucks to OC Transpo buses to cube vans to motorbikes and all the cars in between.

Maybe it's just me coming from the 'burbs of Farhaven where everyone goes to bed at 9 p.m. and it's dead quiet but I simply can't take that noise. I used to live on Gilmour (behind Barrymore's) and only lasted for 1 year before packing it up. The Friday nights in the summer that we had to open the windows because we didn't have A/C, man I don't think I had much sleep back then.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:50 AM

[snark] incredibly, we have different kinds of housing suited to different kinds of tastes, incomes, lifestyles; the world is filled with so many things. [/snark]

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
[snark] incredibly, we have different kinds of housing suited to different kinds of tastes, incomes, lifestyles; the world is filled with so many things. [/snark]
We definitely do.

I also grew up in the suburbs so I don't think that has anything to do with it. People are just different.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenjager View Post

Agreed. I can't believe the flak this location is taking from a board that purports to support urban environments. Sure, I wish Bronson had been rebuilt to better support foot and cycle traffic. We can thank our suburban friends for that, but maybe with more developments like this, we'll get real sidewalks on Bronson next time.
In the meantime this is a fantastic location in walking distance of two main streets (Bank and Preston), a block from greenspace that the federal government plants with flowers every year and near a new transit nexus at Carling & Preston. It should probably sell at a discount to Preston or Glebe condos, but it's still a pretty great location, especially if you need access to the Queensway for work.
The render looks like an early sim city version. I can't make any judgement on the design from that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 7:01 PM

While the building would be difficult to access for owners with vehicles, I don't think it's a terrible building or location. Maybe a bit overpriced, but it's close to many useful destinations - just not immediately adjacent to any of them.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
While the building would be difficult to access for owners with vehicles, I don't think it's a terrible building or location. Maybe a bit overpriced, but it's close to many useful destinations - just not immediately adjacent to any of them.
Overpriced is difficult to determine for sure at this point, but if they're serious about the "low 300's" they'll be priced at the lower end of the adjacent Domicile and Charlesfort buildings.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Has a price list been released yet? If so, can someone post it on here?

You're the second person to claim it's over priced - aside from the vague "starting from the low $200's" I've seen nothing about price. I'm curious how one can claim something is over priced before knowing the price....

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Has a price list been released yet? If so, can someone post it on here?

You're the second person to claim it's over priced - aside from the vague "starting from the low $200's" I've seen nothing about price. I'm curious how one can claim something is over priced before knowing the price....
I'm guessing it's because I drive by the sales sign located on the site all the time.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing it's because I drive by the sales sign located on the site all the time.
I do too, I pass it twice a day. Therefore you and I have the same information - a vague starting price and location.

Without knowing specs, floor plans, amenities, and specific pricing - how can you come to a conclusion that it's over priced? I'm not saying they won't be, but I'm not going to claim they will be either. Until I see the info for myself, I'll hold back on forming a total opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa