HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 5:41 PM

[Hull] 35 Rue Laurier (Four Points by Sheraton) | Redevelopment

The city of Gatineau has approved Sheraton's four points expension proposal consisting of three buildings of 17,25 and 30 floors in downtown Gatineau, in front of the Canadian museum of history.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/actu...ntre-ville.php

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 7:12 PM

Seems to be about 9 stories there right now. That is a pretty significant expansion plan. Will it all be a Sheraton hotel? I feel like that would make it a huuuuge hotel once complete in terms of # of rooms in the capital region.

Also, this seems like it impacts the views. No comments or backlash from this whereas the other project proposed in front of the museum was torn to pieces?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 7:24 PM

Will add some height to Gatineau's skyline.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Seems to be about 9 stories there right now. That is a pretty significant expansion plan. Will it all be a Sheraton hotel? I feel like that would make it a huuuuge hotel once complete in terms of # of rooms in the capital region.

Also, this seems like it impacts the views. No comments or backlash from this whereas the other project proposed in front of the museum was torn to pieces?
The Brigil proposal was a lot closer to houses than this one is. There are basically no residential houses in the immediate vicinity of the Sheraton Four Points.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

It's on the cut-off of Hull's "CBD". Across from Papineau, it becomes a low-density residential neighborhood. Place des Peuples is also significantly taller.

Basically, the 30 story hotel is following the trend of the area west of Papineau while PdP would start a bad precedent of skyscrapers destroying a heritage area east of Papineau.

http://www.gatineau.ca/portail/defau...id=-1183372098

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 10:07 PM

There's only one building on the whole block that's worth preserving from an architectural or historical perspective. The rest of the block is parking lots and a hotel building that can be torn down with no fanfare. Absolutely nothing of value will be lost by ripping the parking lots up and the island of Hull has a heck of a lot to gain by adding some density enough to reach a critical mass where they can finally get a grocery store and become a place where professionals would want to live.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 2:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's on the cut-off of Hull's "CBD". Across from Papineau, it becomes a low-density residential neighborhood. Place des Peuples is also significantly taller.

Basically, the 30 story hotel is following the trend of the area west of Papineau while PdP would start a bad precedent of skyscrapers destroying a heritage area east of Papineau.

http://www.gatineau.ca/portail/defau...id=-1183372098
That aerial gives a great perspective on the whole area and where everything would fit in.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:00 PM

Although its a bland looking project, the views from the upper floors to Ottawa will be very impressive and unlikely ever to be blocked by a high building in front, so one would imagine this will be very attractive for a condo owner. This is also more appropriate height wise than the Brigil proposal. However, for an adjacent resident, it may be of concern that the new development will leave huge shadowing and bland streetscapes to the sides and rear.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black cat View Post
Although its a bland looking project, the views from the upper floors to Ottawa will be very impressive and unlikely ever to be blocked by a high building in front, so one would imagine this will be very attractive for a condo owner. This is also more appropriate height wise than the Brigil proposal. However, for an adjacent resident, it may be of concern that the new development will leave huge shadowing and bland streetscapes to the sides and rear.
It's interesting to see that place des peuples is actually hidden but the sheraton isn't when looking at the centre block from near the centennial flame.

photos by me

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 6:29 PM
Gatinois et fier

go for it.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOttawa View Post
It's interesting to see that place des peuples is actually hidden but the sheraton isn't when looking at the centre block from near the centennial flame.

photos by me
The second photo isn't from the centennial flame, but a bit west. Having said that, it won't change the view that much.

If some trees can be grown to the west of the Parliament Buildings similar to the ones to the east, it should go a long way to hiding the Sheraton.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:20 PM

Anyone knows when construction is planned to begin?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:41 PM

I can't help but put all your above comments in 'air quotes' when you talk about 'heritage district' and 'heritage buildings' when I look at the satellite view I see lots of parking lots. I'm sure there's some nice houses down there, but when I dropped my pin on the adjacent 'residential' street corner, a bland 1990's replica of heritage was on one side, bordered by a square stucco tear-down, and then more parking lots.

I know people hate on Hull, me being one of them, the no-mans land needs to be changed somehow. Why not add density to resurrect the rest of the neighbourhood?

I'm also all for heritage districts. There's a beautiful one West of Laval. To me there's maybe two (or one and a half) blocks of 'homes' between Maisonneuve and Laurier, which happens to be the prime-est, closest real estate to Ottawa and the River. Large parking lots and warehouses aren't going to last much longer.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
I can't help but put all your above comments in 'air quotes' when you talk about 'heritage district' and 'heritage buildings' when I look at the satellite view I see lots of parking lots. I'm sure there's some nice houses down there, but when I dropped my pin on the adjacent 'residential' street corner, a bland 1990's replica of heritage was on one side, bordered by a square stucco tear-down, and then more parking lots.

I know people hate on Hull, me being one of them, the no-mans land needs to be changed somehow. Why not add density to resurrect the rest of the neighbourhood?

I'm also all for heritage districts. There's a beautiful one West of Laval. To me there's maybe two (or one and a half) blocks of 'homes' between Maisonneuve and Laurier, which happens to be the prime-est, closest real estate to Ottawa and the River. Large parking lots and warehouses aren't going to last much longer.
Not sure which beautiful heritage district west of Laval you're talking about.

Most of that area is rather unremarkable, except for a few nice houses on Leduc, like this one:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4312...7i13312!8i6656

But they're very rare.

By far the nicest (the only?) grouping of noble heritage buildings in Vieux-Hull is the rectangle bounded by Papineau-Laurier-Allumetières-Maisonneuve, near the Museum of History and the Collège St-Joseph. This was ground zero for Brigil's Place des Peuples project, but is not directly affected by the plans on the Four Points by Sheraton site (even if it's close).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:23 PM

5$ and roll up the rim to win coffee it flops

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:40 AM

I wonder if this one is still on the go or if it's another dead-on-arrival downtown Gatineau project.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

On Radio-Canada this morning Brigil President Gilles Desjardins was being interviewed about his company's purchase of this property.

It's adjacent to the land where he wanted to build the rejected Place des Peuples twin towers.

I didn't catch all of the interview.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On Radio-Canada this morning Brigil President Gilles Desjardins was being interviewed about his company's purchase of this property.

It's adjacent to the land where he wanted to build the rejected Place des Peuples twin towers.

I didn't catch all of the interview.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if Brigil bought the entire Four Points complex or just the parking lot?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know if Brigil bought the entire Four Points complex or just the parking lot?
The whole complex I think: hotel, parking lot and former presbytère that has meeting rooms now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The whole complex I think: hotel, parking lot and former presbytère that has meeting rooms now.
That should be interesting. Be prepared for the "Return of Place des Peuples".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa