HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 1:01 AM

There was a Canadian Tire at what is now 180 Kent. I would like to see a much needed Grocery store and a Canadian Tire or something similar Incorporated into Lebreton Flats retail and do it similar to what Ryerson University did in Downtown Toronto with the CDN tire on the ground level and Ryerson expansion plopped on top, right next to the Eaton Center near Dundas and Bay.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 2:21 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I've been saying this for years (and mentioned it on this forum in a couple of different threads) that there needs to be a Canadian Tire in the central core. Sure, there are some Home Hardwares but they are small and are not a department store. I'm sure a CT would do well in the central core. Coventry is the closest - and also has the nearest Best Buy to downtown beside it as well.
Well, there used to be a Canadian Tire on Kent St. at Laurier, and they decided that there was more value in selling the land for redevelopment than keeping the store. But times change...

See: http://www.obj.ca/Other/Archives/200...office-tower/1

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Planning committee OKs proposed Slater Street tower

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 10, 2015 | Last Updated: November 10, 2015 12:45 PM EST

Planning committee chairwoman Jan Harder poured cold water all over a downtown councillor’s attempt to secure a grocery store in the ground floor of a Slater Street redevelopment.

“We can’t say, ‘The only way you can build this tower is to include a grocery store,'” Harder said Tuesday, minutes after her committee unanimously approved a proposal by Broccolini Construction Inc. to construct a 27-storey tower at 383 Slater St., replacing a two-storey building occupied by Alterna Savings and Credit Union.

The proposed development, which council will vote on later this month, would include 300 rental apartments, four storeys of underground parking and street-level space for commercial tenants.

City planners endorsed the developer’s proposal, which sought permission for more height, larger commercial space and less landscaping.

The developer hasn’t determined who the potential tenants will be and is aware of the request for a grocery store.

Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney told the committee people who live in that part of Centretown are desperate for more amenities, such as a grocery or hardware store. The closest supermarket now is at the corner of Bank and Somerset streets, about one kilometre away.

Harder, who worked in the grocery business before becoming a city councillor, said she doubted the area has sufficient density to convince a major retailer to commit to such expensive real estate given the low margins grocers face.

“I don’t want you to dream too big,” she said of the request for a grocery store.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...r-street-tower

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 2:14 PM

I could totally see a Farm Boy going in here.

I hope this development spurs additional growth in the area. It's the last major section of the CBD to require a much-needed facelift (imo).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 2:15 PM

I'm surprised Brocolini didn't go for even more height, given that NCC Parliamentary Precinct sightlines are already blocked by Place de Ville C...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I'm surprised Brocolini didn't go for even more height, given that NCC Parliamentary Precinct sightlines are already blocked by Place de Ville C...
I totally agree. I'm a bit disappointed with the developer on that front and I'm disappointed with the city that they didn't force the developer to purchase and develop the entire block with sufficient tower separation. This would have been a prime candidate for something along the lines of Constitution Square.

I don't see why the city and developer couldn't have even reached some kind of an agreement (if they'd bothered trying) for extra height in exchange for having each tower face directly onto three different streets.

Now we get to stare at even more 27 floor buildings with blank walls. Yay. I was worried we might not have enough of those in Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:25 PM

I hear Broccolini is no longer in control of this site and it's about to trade ownership from Alterna to another party. I wonder if the concept for the slater side will be maintained?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALOTTAWA View Post
I hear Broccolini is no longer in control of this site and it's about to trade ownership from Alterna to another party. I wonder if the concept for the slater side will be maintained?
I noticed Alterna moved out a couple months ago maybe. If it really switched hands from Broccolini to another company, I sure hope they start the development plans from scratch.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:03 PM

Can you hear that sound? Library, library, library....

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:31 PM

The City has talked to the future owner about a library but I understand that there is little interest in this. They want to develop commercial properties.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALOTTAWA View Post
The City has talked to the future owner about a library but I understand that there is little interest in this. They want to develop commercial properties.
That sound won't go away. Expropriate, expropriate, expropriate....

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 2:10 PM

Any news on this? They've recently put-up fencing around the building and have stopped its use as a parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 2:23 AM

They cleared out the old bank building a few weeks ago. Now the fence is up, so I'm guessing the demolition will be very soon. Couldn't find anything online yet about when or where a sales office will be going up for the condo units, though.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwumper View Post
They cleared out the old bank building a few weeks ago. Now the fence is up, so I'm guessing the demolition will be very soon. Couldn't find anything online yet about when or where a sales office will be going up for the condo units, though.
The permit has converted the 297 unit condo building into a rental building.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
The permit has converted the 297 unit condo building into a rental building.
Well, this explains the lack of sales info.

At least something's finally going up on that scrappy looking block. The parking lot was a waste of prime real estate.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 12:56 AM

Demolition has started.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 1:53 AM
National Capital Region

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__ALT3E6

The City of Ottawa has received a Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Control application to permit a development consisting of three high-rise buildings with ground floor commercial uses, with a mix of hotel and residential uses above, and one underground parking lot providing 360 spaces and 223 bicycle stalls.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__ALT3E6

The City of Ottawa has received a Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Control application to permit a development consisting of three high-rise buildings with ground floor commercial uses, with a mix of hotel and residential uses above, and one underground parking lot providing 360 spaces and 223 bicycle stalls.
Yikes! That looks absolutely horrible! The original renders looked a million times better than this!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 2:07 AM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 2:07 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

The pretty girl in render 1 seems to like it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa