HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 1:04 PM

"City Gallery" opening at 1503 State Street in PACA storefront

Owners of Artlore Studio on Erie's west side have decided to open a gallery downtown after noticing all the new development going on.

They will be opening tonight with three exhibits.

This is a awesome addition to downtown. Hopefully they find successful and stay at that location.

https://www.facebook.com/citygalleryerie

https://www.goerie.com/story/enterta...sh/5756009001/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Owners of Artlore Studio on Erie's west side have decided to open a gallery downtown after noticing all the new development going on.

They will be opening tonight with three exhibits.

This is a awesome addition to downtown. Hopefully they find successful and stay at that location.

https://www.facebook.com/citygalleryerie

https://www.goerie.com/story/enterta...sh/5756009001/
Good to see this!

With PACA having done some renovations there and establishing an "arts" presence, hopefully this stretch of State St. can evolve into something much, much better than its present state. It would be cool to see the other buildings on the block put back into productive use, and the Mannerchor brought back to life in some form. Could be a funky little stretch on the east side of the street (the west side of State is a long lost cause).

Erie has just been too intent on destroying itself since the 1960s for downtown to ever have a dense, vibrant, and walkable downtown in our lifetimes. But at least some businesses aren't giving up.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Good to see this!

With PACA having done some renovations there and establishing an "arts" presence, hopefully this stretch of State St. can evolve into something much, much better than its present state. It would be cool to see the other buildings on the block put back into productive use, and the Mannerchor brought back to life in some form. Could be a funky little stretch on the east side of the street (the west side of State is a long lost cause).

Erie has just been too intent on destroying itself since the 1960s for downtown to ever have a dense, vibrant, and walkable downtown in our lifetimes. But at least some businesses aren't giving up.
I always found it weird how most of the historic architecture on the east side of State St is intact but the west side of State is mostly "newer" buildings.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
I always found it weird how most of the historic architecture on the east side of State St is intact but the west side of State is mostly "newer" buildings.
Lou Tullio

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:00 PM

Exciting news!

Tomorrow (9/14) the EDDC will be announcing the retailers going into the storefronts at E.5th and State Street!

Any guesses?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 12:31 PM

EDDC announces downtown retailers.

In addition to Glass Growers Gallery and Subway, the following new businesses will locate to the new storefronts at 5th and State:

-Pointe Foure Vintage Boutique (women's clothing) https://pointefoure.com/
-Primo Tailoring (tailoring and men's cloting) https://www.primotailoring.com/
-Erie Apparel (local apparel and gifts) https://erieapparel.co/
-SHE Vintage (women's clothing and beauty bar) https://shevintage.com/

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/20...p45np6b1Ef272w

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Exciting news!

Tomorrow (9/14) the EDDC will be announcing the retailers going into the storefronts at E.5th and State Street!

Any guesses?
Here's a look at the new retailers coming soon to downtown Erie as part of EDDC development

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/20...ck/8272982002/

♦ Erie Apparel
♦ Pointe Foure Vintage Boutique
♦ Primo Tailoring
♦ She Vintage
♦ Glass Growers Gallery

Uhhh... gotta say that's a rather anti-climactic announcement, and actually, a pretty disappointing and confusing selection of retailers for this space.

Especially when they're listing one of the businesses (Glass Growers), and it isn't even be a part of this new development, existing in its present location around the block since the probably the 1990s. It makes the whole build-up to it seem like somewhat of a con job. Like, wait... what?

I guess I was hoping to see more of a mix of store types, rather than all clothing related, but maybe that's what the EDDC wanted... to create more of a clothing "hub", betting on synergy of purpose, rather than variety.

I just come from the school of business reality when it comes to retail in a downtown area of a small city. You need daily-hourly foot traffic to succeed. I'm really hoping this selection works, because the reputation of the EDDC is on the line here... they shoot an airball with this one, well... it doesn't bode well for what will be the prevailing public opinion in Erie of their planned specialty market/food hall development

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Uhhh... gotta say that's a rather anti-climactic announcement, and actually, a pretty disappointing and confusing selection of retailers for this space.

Especially when they're listing one of the businesses (Glass Growers), and it isn't even be a part of this new development, existing in its present location around the block since the probably the 1990s. It makes the whole build-up to it seem like somewhat of a con job. Like, wait... what?

I guess I was hoping to see more of a mix of store types, rather than all clothing related, but maybe that's what the EDDC wanted... to create more of a clothing "hub", betting on synergy of purpose, rather than variety.

I just come from the school of business reality when it comes to retail in a downtown area of a small city. You need daily-hourly foot traffic to succeed. I'm really hoping this selection works, because the reputation of the EDDC is on the line here... they shoot an airball with this one, well... it doesn't bode well for what will be the prevailing public opinion in Erie of their planned specialty market/food hall development
If everything opens up around the same time (food hall, market, shops, apartments) then I feel there will be a great ripple effect from the buzz of new "stuff" down there.

Hopefully, as we turn the tide of COVID, Erie Insurance and other downtown employers will return to the office and foot traffic will see a considerable increase.

Downtown events (like Gallery Nights, farmers markets, and etc.) will also support that area.

I do wish there was a hotel in that immediate vicinity because that would also be a really good thing for all that new development.

ALSO, one more thing I'd like to add. I don't think these are all the retailers because they talked about a couple food and beverage options going in those storefronts too.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 3:54 PM

Quote:
If everything opens up around the same time (food hall, market, shops, apartments) then I feel there will be a great ripple effect from the buzz of new "stuff" down there.

Hopefully, as we turn the tide of COVID, Erie Insurance and other downtown employers will return to the office and foot traffic will see a considerable increase.

Downtown events (like Gallery Nights, farmers markets, and etc.) will also support that area.

I do wish there was a hotel in that immediate vicinity because that would also be a really good thing for all that new development.

ALSO, one more thing I'd like to add. I don't think these are all the retailers because they talked about a couple food and beverage options going in those storefronts too.

Yeah, good points. I would just be concerned about hourly foot traffic at vintage clothing stores and a tailor shop in downtown Erie. Glass Growers was successful for so long because it was a destination... people went there to buy art and gifts, to attend art openings, and the former business catered heavily to Erie's corporate community as far as higher end art sales went. Hopefully, these new stores can hold out and be part of the transformation. And I think that some other bar/restaurant options would be a good complement to these types of establishments, like you mention.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 6:49 PM

Erie Events reveals design plans of Bayfront Market House

"Erie Events officials have said the market would operate year-round and feature a full-service grocery store as well as local vendors that sell chocolates, wine, meats, produce, crafts and other goods."

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...ed/8337086002/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 7:42 PM

^ Not crazy about renderings that display a surface parking lot right in front of the proposed building, but overall looks good. Hope shovels hit the dirt soon!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
^ Not crazy about renderings that display a surface parking lot right in front of the proposed building, but overall looks good. Hope shovels hit the dirt soon!
Honestly, there's no need for additional parking down there. We already have the big ass convention center lot AND the three-story parking garage next to the Courtyard Hotel.

They're going to have to reconfigure the existing lot but there's really no need to devote more land to surface parking for this.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 11:54 PM

^ I agree. I think the “powers that be” feel that they want some “pop in” spots, where drivers can come right off the parkway, and grab and go, without having to enter a garage or actually walk more than 20 feet

I kinda get it, I guess. It would be a different story if this was being proposed right n the middle of downtown or in a denser neighborhood. But the Sassafras St. pier will remain somewhat if an island due to the disconnect with the street grid, bluff, water, etc. And Erieites like their parking spots.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 6:33 PM

Downtown Erie to get Rita's location.

Today while driving downtown I noticed that right next to Subway (on State between 4th and 5th St.) there was a sign for Rita's Italian Ice saying "coming soon".

It looks like this will be another retail/food and beverage spot for the EDDC development. I can see it being very popular with Gannon students, Hamot employees, and guests staying at the bayfront hotels.

Here's a photo I took:

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:06 AM

I like that there will be a Rita’s downtown. I do question putting a seasonal-only (March-Sept) tenant in the new space though. Considering that it will be empty Oct-March. That doesn’t contribute to vibrancy for about halted the year.

Is the space very small?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:45 AM

The space was formerly the sitting area for the adjacent Subway so I assume it is not that big.

But, I'm not sure if this will be seasonal or open year-round since it's an indoor location.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:07 PM

Good idea. DCNR should develop these arrays in the parking lots of Beaches 6, 10, and 11 as well.

Solar panels at Beach 8 will help take Presque Isle State Park to net-zero energy usage

https://www.goerie.com/story/lifesty...gy/8419398002/

Quote:
A proposed solar canopy array in the parking lot at Beach 8 will help Presque Isle State Park reach net-zero energy consumption.

The array is part of a climate and sustainability plan for Presque Isle, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary as a state park.

The array at Beach 8 will save DCNR $30,000 on electricity annually while producing enough energy to power 25 average American homes, officials said. It will also reduce the park’s carbon footprint by more than 211,000 pounds a year, or the equivalent of removing 20 passenger cars from the road annually, officials said. A timeline for the array's installation wasn't yet available.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 8:27 PM

Since it's a slow news week, I wanted to throw in my two cents about how downtown Erie could better utlize it's streets.

Driving through downtown, I can't help but feel the streets were designed for a larger city (perhaps when Erie was at it's peak around 140,000 in the city limits).

There is no reason Peach Street downtown should have two travel lanes and two for parking. Since it's a one way road, eliminated one travel lane and turn it into a two-way bike lane (https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1246...7i16384!8i8192).

Same goes for French Street. Three lanes wide in most areas(two travel, one parking), four in some. Take out a travel lane and put in a bike lane. (https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1268...7i16384!8i8192)

State Street is too wide as well. 4 travel lanes, plus a parking lane on both sides is unecessary, especially between W 10th and North Park Row, since buses use Peach and French between those roads. (https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1263...7i16384!8i8192)

Keep the two parking lanes, and add a single bike lane on each side. Keep one travel lane in each direction and add a landscaped median (similar to Dobbins Landing) down the center which can become a turning lane at intersections.

Add bike lanes on:

-6th Street

(https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1287...7i16384!8i8192)

-8th Street

(https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1270...7i16384!8i8192)

-10th Street

(https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1246...7i16384!8i8192)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 9:25 PM

Those are great ideas. I'd love to see downtown become a much more walkable (and thus appealing) place.

However, Erie continues to knock down solid blocks of buildings for surface parking lots and drive-thrus. Most recent example -- Marquette Bank project on the corner of 10th & Peach demolished the 1920s Erie Times building for surface parking. Downtown Erie can't even get the basics of urban density/walkable form correct, so I can't see widespread removal of unnecessary travel lanes on major downtown streets happening. I've pretty much given up on downtown Erie south of Perry Square. Way too much was destroyed (and continues to be destroyed in favor of auto-oriented development), leaving very little quality in terms of built environment to be able to really salvage it, unless Erie undergoes a major economic turnaround very soon.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Those are great ideas. I'd love to see downtown become a much more walkable (and thus appealing) place.

However, Erie continues to knock down solid blocks of buildings for surface parking lots and drive-thrus. Most recent example -- Marquette Bank project on the corner of 10th & Peach demolished the 1920s Erie Times building for surface parking. Downtown Erie can't even get the basics of urban density/walkable form correct, so I can't see widespread removal of unnecessary travel lanes on major downtown streets happening. I've pretty much given up on downtown Erie south of Perry Square. Way too much was destroyed (and continues to be destroyed in favor of auto-oriented development), leaving very little quality in terms of built environment to be able to really salvage it, unless Erie undergoes a major economic turnaround very soon.
We need an EDDC-type of group to cover the lower half of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations