HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 9:33 PM

Anywho, its already up to the 4th floor so it'll have to be passed pretty sharpish.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 9:40 PM

External work is almost complete on every Brummies favourite building the 81m, 22 storey Rotunda.

Its being turned into luxury apartments.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 10:16 AM

Not really construction news but important none the less.

Quote:
Editor calls for new digital hub to be based in Birmingham

The editor of the Birmingham Post is calling for a planned digital service to rival the BBC to be based in the city.

Marc Reeves said that the city was well placed to host the Public Service Publisher announced by regulator Ofcom in January.

His comments came ahead of a Birmingham Post business breakfast meeting with Philip Graf, deputy chairman of Ofcom, today.

He said: "Birmingham is an ideal location for this because of the growing number of software houses, television production companies and other creative organisations that are thriving in the city. It also benefits from its proximity to London.

"The new PSP is going to be a very organic and loose collection of creative businesses and individuals producing content on digital platforms."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 2:41 PM
Information Age

I like this one!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:29 PM

Yeh, they seem to be everyones favourites. Smaller of the two will house Birminghams first 5* hotel although it wont be the only one as another is planned at Venture East.

Scheme in height ranges from 57m, 75m, 84m and then 137m.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:39 PM

For some reason I havent posted this. Probably because it comes as a bit of a dissapointment.

The V Building

http://www.thevbuilding.com/

Being developed by Dandara, with a design team led by world class architect Eric Kuhne, ‘The V Building’ has been heralded as one of Birmingham’s most ambitious development projects. At 50 storeys high and measuring 150 metres, it will transform the Birmingham skyline.

The building will feature active uses at street level, including several bars and fine dining restaurants, as well as a Sky Bar and Observatory located at the top of the tower. The proposed 712 private residential apartments, comprising studios and one, two and three-bedroom designs, together with 60 serviced suites, will also be served by a spa, resident’s library and private reception rooms, including an exclusive club room.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 7:16 PM

Erebus if you read this, Orion phase 4, im pretty certain has grown from 15 to 19 storeys.

In relation to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.R
Going up then!

I think I read on "another forum" that they had increased the height slighty, well according to Simlim, anyway..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus
Yeh, they've submitted a planning application for the addition of one extra floor
P.S Stephen I guess you visit here. Just like to inform you those pics are great.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 12:55 PM
Editor

Hello Sim

Are you ever gonna come back home?
And even though your usernames different on here, I'm still going to call you Sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus-Fruit View Post
Erebus if you read this, Orion phase 4, im pretty certain has grown from 15 to 19 storeys.
So if it's estimated at 50m then...

50m / 15 floors = 3.3m per floor

3.3m x 4 new floors = 13m

13m + 50m = 63m

Is that right?

Also there's some pretty disturbing smilies on this forum such as...

+ +

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 2:54 PM

Hi Van. Nice to hear from you! I've tried e-mailing James (Gothicform) as I wanted to post something a week or so back as it was said if I wanted to rejoin I could its just my e-mail address is still on the system which means I havent technically been deleted and therefore cant re-register. Its more difficult then I thought to stay away, there's so many things that you want to answer then realise you cant lol.

Anywho. On Orion - Im pretty sure (not 100%) that Orion 2 as we know it has been bumped up by 4 storeys on its tallest end as it was originally 15 storeys and the new application clearly states it is to be 19 from now, which would take it well over the 60m mark, which is a good height.

And on the smilies. I havent noticed them till now.

You looking forward to the Cumberland house redevlopment?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 2:56 PM

Also, you might want to inform Bio or Erebus that the new Post & Mail office plans (6 storey) are on the planning apps.

Nothing exciting but its the new HQ for our leading papers so might be worth a post.

Unless you want to post them?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 7:38 PM

Found them. These are a few minutes taken from a meeting in with residents and co last year.

Quote:
212-223 BROAD STREET (CUMBERLAND HOUSE) - REDEVELOPMENT OF SITE TO PROVDE A 40-STOREY BUILDING

Mike Taylor (Local Planning) reported that the Assistant Director for Planning Control suggested this item be withdrawn due to a lack of progress on the project proposal.The Chair person noted a number of local residents had concerns about the design.
It was one of two 40 storey towers for Broad Street talked about at the meeting from last year. Well according to the council anywho.

Last edited by Citrus-Fruit; Apr 15, 2007 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 7:47 PM
Editor

Quote:
Its more difficult then I thought to stay away, there's so many things that you want to answer then realise you cant lol.
I've hardly posted at all in the last few weeks as I'm trying to get my average post count down to 2 per day. Don't ask me why, it's a bit of an obsession. But yer, on many occasions I've wanted to reply to certain posts like the one below, but have managed to resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDX View Post
Manchesters always been home to englands tallest building outside London, it is now, and always will be!
That stupid Manc had obviously forgot about Holloway Circus Tower.

Quote:
You looking forward to the Cumberland house redevlopment?
Yer, we'll find out tomorrow won't we? I'm also excited about the 2 towers behind Auchinleck House as they should hopefully fill that little gap on the skyline between the Broad Street towers and the Fiveways towers.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 7:53 PM

Ahwell, thought you went a bit quiet. You've done well then. If you get to obsessed you end up doing zero work lol.

Auchineleck House could be anything yet. 2x 20 storey were reported almost 6 years ago but we havent heard anything since. Latest rumours apart from those were of a 28-30 storey. Not sure how much foundation that had but it seemed pretty resonable.

As you can see from my post above. Cumberland House could be a biggie. Not quite as big as 40 storeys. But certainly alot bigger then whats already there. I was thinking roughly 32 storeys. I'll be dissappointed if its anything less then 20 though. A good light, modern design however and ill be very happy. Its got to stay thin in my oppinion. Buildings down Broad Street are just far to fat. a tower like doon street in London would work a treat obviously alot smaller though.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 8:19 PM
Editor

Not really a fan of Doon Street to be honest but I agree with it needing to be slender. As for Auchinleck House, Erebus has said...

Quote:
Dandara are planning to build two residential 15-20 storey towers behind Auchinleck House as part of the building redevelopment
About re-registering to ssc, can't you just use a different e-mail address?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 10:34 PM

Arr right, well in that case its obviously newer rumours. It certainly needs a revamp. Has done for years now. I know its suppose to be quite a big mixed use scheme and the site is'nt overly big. Think a 300 bed hotel was also on the cards.

Doon street is'nt fantastic, totally agree, but its a nice simple, light tower which makes its height known with a little bit more feminism about it. Something I think Birmingham needs with the big butch boys such as V and BST.

On the e-mail address problem. This is the only one im able to use on this computer. Hotmail etc has been deleted from now on due to uncountable virus being recieved.

A £899 computer and its slowed hugely within the last month. I should really get someone to look at it.

Its actually nice to speak to someone again. It was a bit quiet over here as you could probably tell but a bit of a refreshing change.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 10:41 PM

Over 9 years, 2 bannings is rather good I think Erebus

Not to mention one was a tad unreasonable due to the uproar of the Danish Cartoons. I am rather argumentitive when frustrated however. Have to be in certain professions.

This is like my little zen room. So tranquil.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 10:04 AM

Arr yes Royal Blue - the man oblivious to contradiction.

Im not going to the Novatel today but I think somebody I know is Erebus. He always carries a camera aswell. I'll find out.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 10:00 AM

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:01 PM
Editor

Great panorama that.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 4:53 PM

Doon Street is extremely poor proposed development.
Birmingham has the best with its Ballymore Snowhill residential tower. top notch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe