HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:06 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know when the Carl's Jr at 2nd south and State will be demolished? I heard that a demolition permit was applied for several weeks ago.
I made a quick call. Apparently there were some issues getting signatures, particularly from Urban Forestry. There are a couple trees that will be taken down during the demo.

Anyway, I'm told they are trying to get it scheduled now that the path has been cleared. It will likely be either tomorrow morning or Friday morning (less possible: Monday morning). Either way, we won't have to wait too much longer.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I made a quick call. Apparently there were some issues getting signatures, particularly from Urban Forestry. There are a couple trees that will be taken down during the demo.

Anyway, I'm told they are trying to get it scheduled now that the path has been cleared. It will likely be either tomorrow morning or Friday morning (less possible: Monday morning). Either way, we won't have to wait too much longer.
There are a couple cherry-picker trucks on site right now, and I saw crews putting some tree branches into a wood shredder.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:42 PM
Space Magi

Thanks for the updates on the Kensington site! Exciting to see our new tallest so close to site prep!

Anyone know when the Sears Block will be demolished for The Jetty? That project has also been approved for awhile now.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:08 PM

Thanks Delts. The marmalade project has really made a significant impact at street level there.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Thanks for the updates on the Kensington site! Exciting to see our new tallest so close to site prep!

Anyone know when the Sears Block will be demolished for The Jetty? That project has also been approved for awhile now.
I heard that that project is on hold due to construction costs.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:35 PM

I was wondering if some of these projects would be put on a temporary hold. Construction/materials/ and scheduling is a mess right now. Even if you waited 6 months the delay probably wouldn’t push the completion date back that much on the job. Some items are a joke trying to get for projects depending on what it is.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Try and snap some pics of the Marmalade project if you get a chance. I drove by the other day, not able to get pics, but it really changes the feel of that entrance to the city from 6th North.
I live across the street from the Marmalade project. They have some of the exterior finishing up on the first, southern-most, building. I can snap some pictures easily enough this week though.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:18 PM

Moda Luxe

The Birdie

95 State

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:38 PM

Central 9th/ Granary

7th South improvement

Industry

Mama's Cantina (former)

Maven West

Bike Shop site?? west of Central 9th Market

Adaptive Reuse of auto repair bldg to Brewpub on 3rd West south of 9th south

Spyhop

I forget the name of this media company in Central 9th

Utah Pickle Company and adjacent bldgs redevelopment

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:03 AM

Yeah lumber is ridiculously expensive right now. I read somewhere that the price of lumber has increased 278% over the last year.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:26 AM

Thanks Orlando!

A couple things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
7th South improvement
What improvements are these?

Quote:
Industry
I really don't like INDUSTRY from the outside. That whole stretch seems bland and something really needs to be done to that street to make it look better. Some trees would help at least a little bit.
It honestly needed to be way taller than one floor or at least have had more color than gray/beige to make things pop. Its sad, cause I remember the renderings of the interior being really nice.

Quote:
Mama's Cantina (former)
I remember when we talked about this property, but I don't remember what was going in on the site. Does anyone else know????

Quote:
Bike Shop site?? west of Central 9th Market
The Bike Shop is located about 3 blocks west of this. I really wish something would go in at this spot, but I don't think anything has been announced

Quote:
Utah Pickle Company and adjacent bldgs redevelopment
Wait, is the Pickel Alley project still happening??? I've been holding out hope but it's been a long time since we heard anything. The buildings look way worse than I last saw them too.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:02 PM

Convention Center Hotel

Just a few thoughts about the new Convention Center Hotel:

I am really liking the Glass panels being installed on the hotel; they are a color scheme not seen elsewhere in downtown Salt Lake.

Also I really like the gently curving east face of the hotel from the 1st thru the 6th floor.

The hotel is really starting to make an impact on the skyline as the south elevator core is now towering over the 12 story Holiday Inn Express,

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:14 PM
Space Magi

Thanks for the images, Orlando. I'm really looking forward to seeing the CCH rise. It's going to completely alter the skyline from the west and south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman
12 story Holiday Inn Express
Until recently I didn't really understand why people on the forum hate this building so much. Now I get it. For those unaware, the building that used to be at that site was the Dooly Building, the only building in SLC that was designed by the great Louis Sullivan himself. What a terrible loss!

Source and extensive article about the Dooly Building

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:54 PM

Quote:

The cherry-picker trucks and crew are back at it again today at the Kensington site.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post

Wait, is the Pickel Alley project still happening??? I've been holding out hope but it's been a long time since we heard anything. The buildings look way worse than I last saw them too.
Just saw a demolition permit for the "Pickle and Hide Budildings" at 739 S 400 W. Sad to lose those buildings. Also strange that we haven't seen any renderings of what is replacing them..

EDIT: Also interesting that they were awarded $50k to renovate the building in 2017 Granted, I can't imagine 50k goes too far in renovating a building in such bad shape..

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:20 PM

Interesting. There was a crew out there cleaning the graffiti off of the older buildings. I asked and was told that the newer ones in between the older ones are being demolished.

Last edited by Orlando; Apr 22, 2021 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 7:24 PM
Space Magi

The demo permits are for 737 S and 739 S, which I think are the two buildings on the left and center in this image. The Pickle Building on the right is 741 S. So maybe they are only demolishing the left two

Update on 95 State, Liberty Sky, Kensington, the Birdie, Moda Luxe, and 255 S. State from the webcam:

Finally, here's another apartment development I'd never heard of: the "Quade Apartments." 237 affordable units, no idea where it is going to be:
https://www.housingfinance.com/finan...es-financing_o

Last edited by Atlas; Apr 22, 2021 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Update on 95 State, Liberty Sky, Kensington, the Birdie, Moda Luxe, and 255 S. State from the webcam:

Just wanted to point out that it looks like a tower crane base has been installed for 225 S State. We should see another tower crane going up downtown within the next few weeks.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
The demo permits are for 737 S and 739 S, which I think are the two buildings on the left and center in this image. The Pickle Building on the right is 741 S. So maybe they are only demolishing the left two

I think your right.

Here is 737 S. Demo Permit: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Here is 739 S. Demo Permit: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

This leaves only the main Pickle building on the site.

This also means the Pickle Alley project as we knew it is dead, since it included the 737 building in its plans.

https://www.designdistill.com/news-b...-redevelopment

I wonder what they plan to do instead?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:57 PM
Space Magi

Worth noting is that the parcel of land listed in the 737 S demo permit (15121300120000) is a retired designation that's been subsumed into 15121300260000, which you can look up in the county assessor. That parcel includes the original Hide building but also a later addition that connects to it around the asphalt. This is all to say that maybe they're only demolishing the additional structure on the parcel and leaving the older building intact. Maybe the old plan is still alive then? Just a guess though!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West