HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Has anyone else noticed the number of condo units with blinds down during sunny days ?
Discuss
I dont see what youre talking about

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:14 AM

Mr. May is eluding to his conspiracy theory that the Condo market is not what it seems and they are building just to stroke their ego's ect... And that buildings are sitting empty devoid of tenants just so said egos can be stroked... Hence the blinds being down during the day... Funny i keep mine down to keep the place cool not to mention i am fond of being nocturnal. But hey it could be that all these places are empty and developers are pis***g money away so their egos don't get hurt. I figure an empty bank account would get rid of that ego but hey that is just me...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
Mr. May is eluding to his conspiracy theory that the Condo market is not what it seems and they are building just to stroke their ego's ect... And that buildings are sitting empty devoid of tenants just so said egos can be stroked... Hence the blinds being down during the day... Funny i keep mine down to keep the place cool not to mention i am fond of being nocturnal. But hey it could be that all these places are empty and developers are pis***g money away so their egos don't get hurt. I figure an empty bank account would get rid of that ego but hey that is just me...
Must be more than that, otherwise the blinds would be drawn all the time, unless there a squadron of blind pullers in action; what a concept.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 12:49 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed the number of condo units with blinds down during sunny days ?
Discuss
its not just condos, but apartments and houses. I think people tend to set window coverings to a preferred layout, and don't touch them.

For those implying that drawn curtains are an indication of unsold units - i would suggest its quite the opposite. Builders don't typically install window coverings, its an expense for the new purchaser. I would say lack of drawn curtains is a bigger tell.

As for units not selling - i suspect that is the case - on some projects. St Lawrence place looks pretty empty, but I'm not sure the Market for that building wants to live in that part of Fairview.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
heh, heh, well put.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
its not just condos, but apartments and houses. I think people tend to set window coverings to a preferred layout, and don't touch them.

For those implying that drawn curtains are an indication of unsold units - i would suggest its quite the opposite. Builders don't typically install window coverings, its an expense for the new purchaser. I would say lack of drawn curtains is a bigger tell.

As for units not selling - i suspect that is the case - on some projects. St Lawrence place looks pretty empty, but I'm not sure the Market for that building wants to live in that part of Fairview.
Agreed on all counts. I think QLofts is another one that has had some trouble; this one in the north end.

But for most, I don't believe the conspiracy. I think there is development because there has been proven demand (coupled with some measure of opportunism in the sense that its cheaper to build now with low interest rates). IMHO the conspiracy doesn't work not just because it doesn't seem to be jiving with what is being reported or people's own experience in the market, but simply because Canadian banks are very conservative about financing and lending on big real estate projects, especially with concerns about "bubbles" in real estate across the country.

If condo units aren't selling, banks are going to figure it out very quickly. They're not local credit unionists; they have sophisticated means to ensure they're protected and they're not throwing good money after bad.

This isn't the U.S. and this is not those halycon days pre-2007.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Your first 3 sentences are rubbish, and 'eluding' is what bank robbers do when police can't find them.
You guess correctly.
Condos with lots of glass cause great problems for owners - heat being the main issue. CBC The National had a long story moths ago about expensive Vancouver/Toronto condo having all the glass replaced as inside temperatures were too high and the air conditioning could not cope. The building had curved windows and replacing the glass from the outside was quite a technical feat.

Last edited by Colin May; Aug 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:24 PM

I really don't understand what this directly has to do with this building. If people don't like the unit, they won't buy it and you won't see any blinds in the windows. I really think it's a moot point. I keep my blind closed in my bedroom the majority of the time, but keep them open in my living room, kitchen, rec room all the time.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:41 PM

Newer renderings of South + Hollis have been posted on the WM Fares website, as well as the process diagrams and the layouts. The name "The Wallis" has been removed as well from said renderings as that was never the intended name of the building.

wmfares.com/southhollis

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 6:01 PM

Just struck me that with this, the Roberts/Maynard project, and the proposed rear addition to the Benjamin Wier House (among a few others), Fares is definitely raising the bar architecturally for urban infill in the city. I hope all three of these get built ASAP.

Big step up from even recent projects like the Trillium (meh) and the Mary Ann (dog's breakfast).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Just struck me that with this, the Roberts/Maynard project, and the proposed rear addition to the Benjamin Wier House (among a few others), Fares is definitely raising the bar architecturally for urban infill in the city. I hope all three of these get built ASAP.

Big step up from even recent projects like the Trillium (meh) and the Mary Ann (dog's breakfast).
Lots of units unsold at Trillium, and one recent seller sold at a loss.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Lots of units unsold at Trillium, and one recent seller sold at a loss.
OMG. The market is crashing! Dump your shares! Dump your shares!

Trillium units are expensive. They apparently can afford to charge a lot. There is plenty of demand, especially from foreign students. That's what I hear.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:

I agree. Hopefully this is a trend.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
To the former yes, this is what compromising to the fringe creates, and as the the latter, HAHAHAHA! I figured more regurgitated dogs breakfast is more in order.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 10:21 AM

Fares Group will hold an open house on December 17 (at the Westin, 7-9 p.m.) to unveil the plans for their mixed commercial/residential (rental) complex at the corner of Hollis and South Street.

Pending approvals, Fares says they want to break ground next summer.

I particularly like this rendering, putting the complex in context of the adjacent Westin Hotel/Via Station.

I think this development fits this corner well and should bring new life to the neighbourhood.

http://www.wmfares.com/#!southhollis/c1y2p

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 3:06 PM

Wow, that's a quality rendering.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:36 PM

Does it really take over a year for something like this to go through the approval process, I thought they said they wanted to break ground by now

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post

Fares Group will hold an open house on December 17 (at the Westin, 7-9 p.m.) to unveil the plans for their mixed commercial/residential (rental) complex at the corner of Hollis and South Street.

Pending approvals, Fares says they want to break ground next summer.

I particularly like this rendering, putting the complex in context of the adjacent Westin Hotel/Via Station.

I think this development fits this corner well and should bring new life to the neighbourhood.

http://www.wmfares.com/#!southhollis/c1y2p
Totally agree. What a fantastic rendering. Proposal looks very good.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:23 PM

My understanding is that this is now out for contractor pricing. Not sure of the exact timeline, but should be shovels in before too much longer.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:24 PM

I think it has to do with the relocation of the restaurants. They are moving into a small space on Blowers Street, so that might not yet be ready.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth