HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 4:18 PM

^ very cool map - thanks for keeping this alive!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 9:07 AM

Looks like the Speedway and Campbell has a nice website now and they're working hard to get the building construction ready. (Edit: Working hard to get city approval)

https://www.speedwaycampbellgateway.com/

Lots of renderings in the visibility studies and FAQ. Overall it's one of my favorite designs for Tucson's new high rises. Hopefully NIMBYS don't cut her down too. Speedway area is looing great. The student housing complexes in my opinion are generally good looking buildings, with the exception of the first and most atrocious Hub. The streetscapes look nice when the buildings are done and I like their choice of trees. In 20 years those Pistache trees will be noteworthy as I imagine Hub 4 will be too. Never got around to saying how pleasant those renderings were, but the architects scored a home run on that.

Pulled the most notable renderings from the project's website. Enjoy

Last edited by Eapiwo; Apr 30, 2019 at 9:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
Looks like the Speedway and Campbell has a nice website now and they're working hard to get the building construction ready. (Edit: Working hard to get city approval)

Lots of renderings in the visibility studies and FAQ. Overall it's one of my favorite designs for Tucson's new high rises. Hopefully NIMBYS don't cut her down too. Speedway area is looing great. The student housing complexes in my opinion are generally good looking buildings, with the exception of the first and most atrocious Hub. The streetscapes look nice when the buildings are done and I like their choice of trees. In 20 years those Pistache trees will be noteworthy as I imagine Hub 4 will be too. Never got around to saying how pleasant those renderings were, but the architects scored a home run on that.
Good find. Totally agreed on Hub 4. If they use higher end materials, as they appear in the renderings, I think it'll look great. My hope is that, in the long run, the original Hub is fully encircled by development (even at lower floor heights).

For this project, I think the building height is allowable under the rezoning, which means there shouldn't be a lot NIMBYs can do at this point.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:27 PM

I was under the impression that the City already approved the Speedway/Campbell PAD last year and now the building is in design.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I was under the impression that the City already approved the Speedway/Campbell PAD last year and now the building is in design.
It sounds like there are still a few hurdles (hopefully small ones) pending. Per the development website:
Quote:
April 19th – Zoning Examiner public hearing at 6:00 at City Hall

The Zoning Examiner will hear about the proposal from the development team and take public testimony about the project, ultimately making a recommendation on the proposal to the Mayor and Council.

FINAL ZONING EXAMINER DECISION
June (targeted) – Mayor and Council Meeting
Mayor and Council will hear the proposal, the staff and Zoning Examiner report and make a decision on the rezoning/PAD proposal. Actual date of Mayor and Council hearing is pending. Once date is finalized it will be posted here.
Did anything come out of the April 19th meeting? Did they make a recommendation or is that decision still pending?

Ed: Looks like it was approved at the April 19 meeting: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/...or_posting.pdf

Last edited by InTheBurbs; Apr 30, 2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: New information

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
It sounds like there are still a few hurdles (hopefully small ones) pending. Per the development website:

Did anything come out of the April 19th meeting? Did they make a recommendation or is that decision still pending?

Ed: Looks like it was approved at the April 19 meeting: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/...or_posting.pdf
Note that this was last year.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 4:30 AM

[QUOTE=Eapiwo;8556952]Looks like the Speedway and Campbell has a nice website now and they're working hard to get the building construction ready. (Edit: Working hard to get city approval)

Pulled the most notable renderings from the project's website. Enjoy

Thank you!

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 3:53 PM

A discussion of the development on the Maloney's site is scheduled for the City Council Study Session next Tuesday. Basics of the proposed development are a 13-story multi-tiered building with about 323 residential units, about 4,587 square feet of retail, and about 239 parking spaces. The developer is Opus, which developed the Union in Tempe but I don't believe is connected to the Union project here.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cac...9084241326.PDF

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Basics of the proposed development are a 13-story multi-tiered building with about 323 residential units, about 4,587 square feet of retail, and about 239 parking spaces.
https://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cac...9084241326.PDF
That much detail about the project means they probably have a good idea of the design. Hopefully we will see renderings soon

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 10:03 PM

a 5-story apartment building has been proposed for the empty parking lot just west of Charro Del Rey

Called the Hotel Lewis Lofts

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:30 AM

Santa Cruz flow

Various news sources last year mentioned that treated wastewater would start flowing in the Santa Cruz again near downtown by this Memorial Day 2019. Does anyone know if this is still the case or if it's been delayed.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
Various news sources last year mentioned that treated wastewater would start flowing in the Santa Cruz again near downtown by this Memorial Day 2019. Does anyone know if this is still the case or if it's been delayed.
They have pushed back the water release date to June 24th to coincide with El Dia de San Juan festivities. They are planning on having an event at the release point (29th and Santa Cruz) at 5pm and then moving the party to the MSA Annex.

22nd Annual El Día de San Juan Fiesta

Last edited by crzyabe; May 7, 2019 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 7:20 PM

Connect Coworking is closing after 5 years in operation. That is unfortunate, as that type of workplace solution is needed downtown.

However, the space they occupy will now be up for rent and it is beautiful. Someone will probably snatch it up soon.

Historic Rialto Block office building seeks new tenant

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Connect Coworking is closing after 5 years in operation. That is unfortunate, as that type of workplace solution is needed downtown.

However, the space they occupy will now be up for rent and it is beautiful. Someone will probably snatch it up soon.

Historic Rialto Block office building seeks new tenant
I'm curious how prevalent coworking spaces will be in five years. I've noticed a backlash toward open workspaces fomenting over the past couple of years that could significantly impact the business model.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 10:15 PM

There will be a groundbreaking ceremony for the Doubletree at the TCC on Monday morning. That one moved a long quick

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 5:26 AM

the parking garage at HSL property its completely demolished. what's up their sleave? diamond rock centre?! lol yeah right

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarainza View Post
the parking garage at HSL property its completely demolished. what's up their sleave? diamond rock centre?! lol yeah right
Just curious what this diamond rock center is?

Last edited by sheep unite; May 11, 2019 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep unite View Post
Just curious what this diamond rock center is?
Diamond Rock Plaza was a plan by HSL to put offices, hotels and condos near the TCC and Hotel Arizona.

2006 article from the Star here.

Too bad they couldn't have resurrected some part of this for the Flinn.

BTW - Nice obscure dead Tucson development reference omarainza!

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarainza View Post
According to COT's Twitter update from January "HSL Properties creating opportunity for future development/redevelopment (early planning now) by improving site utilization."

Guess we'll have to wait (and wait and wait) and see...

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
a 5-story apartment building has been proposed for the empty parking lot just west of Charro Del Rey

Called the Hotel Lewis Lofts
Looks like 44 Studio apartments along with 3,350 sf of retail.

Render: Engberg Associates Architects

Development Application here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest