HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 1:18 PM

I like the form, and the fact that it's being build on top of an existing parking deck (no new parking!). But yeah, that concrete color choice is a bit odd.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I like the form, and the fact that it's being build on top of an existing parking deck (no new parking!). But yeah, that concrete color choice is a bit odd.
Where exactly is this? Glen Iris?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Where exactly is this? Glen Iris?
No on the other side on top of this parking deck I believe.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
No on the other side on top of this parking deck I believe.
Awesome, thanks, on the Beltline..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:40 PM

The Hub Atlanta & 1000 Spring St

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Construction fencing is up for this part of the expansion.

I'm sure they were limited with what they could do given site and specs of the project. For me, it's the massive brown column that makes it look unappealing but I think it'll look better in real life than the rendering suggests.

Last edited by Martinman; Jan 16, 2022 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 7:21 AM

c

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 1:35 PM

The Reflection

This is ridiculous. This is student housing!!

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/d...ops-out-photos

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post
This is ridiculous. This is student housing!!

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/d...ops-out-photos
Amenities are very similar to HERE Atlanta.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Amenities are very similar to HERE Atlanta.
Oh, I know this is the new norm, but it's still ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post
Oh, I know this is the new norm, but it's still ridiculous.
I think it's good there are options. Students can choose between something like this, or cheaper options like sharing a house in an affordable neighborhood. And of course dorms are an option.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
I think it's good there are options. Students can choose between something like this, or cheaper options like sharing a house in an affordable neighborhood. And of course dorms are an option.
This is affordable housing so I think it is a win!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 6:53 PM

There's no way those amenities are even 1% of the construction cost. Seems like a good business decision to me.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 12:21 AM

"The new norm" is cutting out a lot of low and middle income students. Only a few students I knew at GSU could afford the dorms on campus, let alone the private dorms. Most I knew either commuted from home or split a house with several other people in the hood, in some pretty awful living conditions, with mold, leaky roofs, etc.

One friend recently had her roof completely fall in over her shower during a rainstorm and the landlord was trying to force her to stay and pay out the rest of the lease. It's like a lot of other things now, income inequality is absolutely out of control. For every college student that gets to live in a dorm with a podcast studio, there's another three living in a dilapidated house.

It should be obvious there's a problem when the "affordable" units are asking $1100 per month. Get real, the only students that have that kind of money to throw down either have parents with the money to spare, or they are selling drugs.

Last edited by bryantm3; Jan 21, 2022 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
"The new norm" is cutting out a lot of low and middle income students. Only a few students I knew at GSU could afford the dorms on campus, let alone the private dorms. Most I knew either commuted from home or split a house with several other people in the hood, in some pretty awful living conditions, with mold, leaky roofs, etc.

One friend recently had her roof completely fall in over her shower during a rainstorm and the landlord was trying to force her to stay and pay out the rest of the lease. It's like a lot of other things now, income inequality is absolutely out of control. For every college student that gets to live in a dorm with a podcast studio, there's another three living in a dilapidated house.

It should be obvious there's a problem when the "affordable" units are asking $1100 per month. Get real, the only students that have that kind of money to throw down either have parents with the money to spare, or they are selling drugs.
It is not a recommendation that any student attending GSU MUST live on campus. GSU was a predominately commuter school before the school embarked on a campaign to reinvent the university and transform it into a more tradition university. Hence, all of the student housing littered amongst the sprawling urban campus.

It seems that you can only image low-income students living in high-rise campus housing as drug dealers. What an asinine assumption to make. Maybe many of them have acquired students loans to live amongst the wealthy? Unlike some people who have their parents bribe the college with thousands of dollars like those high profile USC parents out in Cali.

P.S. Critical Race Theory is so important so Caucasians (like yourself) can identify "coded" racist bullshit when it's stinking up the place.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:18 AM

The parking lot at Peachtree and 6th was permanently closed this week. I'm guessing that means Society Atlanta will break ground soon.

It's gotten one step past Eviva, anyway ... Eviva also got as far as a fence, but the parking stayed open

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 6:09 AM

I am a low income student myself. I took out the maximum loan offered to me and could not afford the GSU student dorms. Affording a place like this, I would have had to deal. I know a lot of people that do. This was not a "coded racial" remark by any terms. And I have no problem with critical race theory.

I *do* have a problem with loading students down with unnecessary fees and "extras" in order to charge exorbitant prices for housing. They are not doing any students a favor here, they are in the business of making money. In the long term, the prices will go down and it'll be nice infill for the city. In the short term, these will serve as luxury dorms and low income students will be denied the independence and the "college experience" due to the costs of attending college rising *ridiculously* over the last 35 years to the point that it's become a moneymaking racket.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 1:44 PM

Student Housing

Well, I opened a can of worms.

My comment that these were "ridiculous" was meant as a, "When I was a kid..." comment (I'm 44). I would have LOVED these dorms.

I do wonder, though, about students who could only afford to live "on campus" if they took out massive loans.

Now, living on campus is their choice but does GSU or Tech provide basic dorms for students?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 1:45 PM

^^I'm not sure what your point is. Developers are building these student towers because they're popular. They get fully rented, and the developers make money. Students don't have to live in them. In most cases they were replacing parking lots, so they're greatly adding to the housing options. There are still huge amounts of affordable housing within easy commuting distance of GSU, GaTech, Spelman, and Morehouse.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
^^I'm not sure what your point is. Developers are building these student towers because they're popular. They get fully rented, and the developers make money. Students don't have to live in them. In most cases they were replacing parking lots, so they're greatly adding to the housing options. There are still huge amounts of affordable housing within easy commuting distance of GSU, GaTech, Spelman, and Morehouse.
I thought my point was clear.

Point 1) These are great dorms that I would have loved to live in. I know developers/universities are building them because they know they can fill them. I understand the economics. But that leads me to point 2...

Point 2) I wonder about kids who can't afford these. So, I asked the question, "What 'affordable' options do GSU and Tech provide?'" I am sure those things are available, but I don't know. Also, I commuted to the colleges attended. When I was at Reinhardt, I drove 45 minutes one way (but living on the houseboat made that drive worth it). When I was in college in KY, I drove almost 30 minutes. So, living on campus is not something that HAS to happen. But, do they provide cheaper options for those they want it?

Adding Point 3) I love the additions to the skyline these provide.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta