HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

Someone like me who saves pockets for pepper spray, personal taser and switch blade (Swiss Army knives are for key chains). You sound like an urban resident who has never had a druggie throw a used needle at him or felt threatened by a group of obnoxious teens on the bus (or in COVID times, an unmasked patron at CVS). Only yesterday I had to remind an otherwise pleasant-appearing couple to step back to the distancing mark in the supermarket line and get the h*ll away from me (or I'd have to tase them).
Jesus Christ you actually carry a taser with you everywhere you go? Sounds like a fearful existence.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Jesus Christ you actually carry a taser with you everywhere you go? Sounds like a fearful existence.
I live in a "progressive" paradise where everything is tolerated from the protected class who live on the streets and don't work but can be dragooned to the polls every election day. I wish there were some way to cross-reference the site Nextdoor for central San Francisco so you could see the incessant posts about uncontrolled shoplifting, package thievery, car break-ins, even pet-stealing. Sitting in a fast food joint I've had bums just occupying tables (not buying anything) throw debris at me. I've had them plop down at my table and start harrassing me. You need to be prepared for anything (lately that includes a complete failure of "distancing" by unmasked/unwashed bums, just to touch on the topic here). And the size of the already inadequate, do-nothing police force was just reduced further by voter action at the polls.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 9:28 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

In Victoria, we've just reached the WHO definition of elimination of community transmission of COVID-19 (28 days / 2 incubation periods of no unlinked cases). But perhaps more importantly, we have just had 28 days of zero cases whatsoever.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...27-p56iev.html

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 5:38 PM

^ Excuse my French, but this is just a motherfucking feat. We don't know how you guys do that where I am in France. Are you guys totally shut down to the world or something?
For example, how does the youth act in your country? Over here, youngsters go depressed if you deprive them from their weekly parties, their college mates and so on. So a lot of them keep spreading the virus by their undisciplined attitude, but I personally can't even blame on them, because I would've done the same and possibly worse when I was 20.

Anyway, the so called 2nd wave is going under control here, while the government, their advisors, scientists were freaking out a couple of weeks ago.
So restrictions are about to be eased for Christmas and New Year's Eve. But then, I would expect a "3rd wave" for February and March. Lol.

Only a vaccine can effectively free us from that curse. But the French (including myself) are a bit skeptical about the latest announcements. We're like - how did the Pfizer/BioNThec consortium or Moderna manage to develop their vaccines so fast, while it normally takes at least 2 years to seriously make it? Sure, the latest tech can make their tests faster, but it's still a bit astonishing, if not uncertain. So approval to their products might take a little time here. No doubt the French bureaucracy will carefully watch them anyway.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the latest covid gift is tooth loss and dental issues:

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...vpa-story.html

but hey its just like the flu.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Was checking the NYC cams, and 5th Avenue is poppin!

Glad to see the crowds, although not the madness that it was a year ago at this same time, but picking up.

Usually you can't move one centimeter without pulling a Harvey Weinstein during the month of December on any street north of 30th.

Once this pandemic is over, I'm sure the crowds will reach madness level, which is how I like it. Car gridlock and people gridlock, the way NYC should be from March to mid January, lowering down for February, and than back to the Madness.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Meep! Meep!

Do you guys refer to him as "le géocoucou"?
Je me rappelle plus. Géocoucou me dit vaguement quelque chose, mais je ne sais plus quoi.

Pour moi, c'était bip bip. L'espèce de volaille qui court à la vitesse de la lumière et qui échappe à tous les malheurs.
J'ai même jamais su quel genre d'oiseau c'était censé représenter dans la vraie vie. Tout ce que j'ai jamais su, c'est que quand il fait "bip bip", un truc désastreux et probablement hilarant va s'abattre sur le prédateur vicieux qui le poursuit.

Tu vois... C'est tout simple en vrai. J'ai toujours aimé ces slapstick cartoons. Il y a des studios d'animation qui perpétuent cette tradition complètement farfelue de nos jours. Par exemple en France, Xilam (Oggy et les Cafards, Zig et Sharko). C'est marrant pour les mômes (ainsi que pour les adultes, à l'occasion).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 1:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Je me rappelle plus. Géocoucou me dit vaguement quelque chose, mais je ne sais plus quoi.

Pour moi, c'était bip bip. L'espèce de volaille qui court à la vitesse de la lumière et qui échappe à tous les malheurs.
J'ai même jamais su quel genre d'oiseau c'était censé représenter dans la vraie vie. Tout ce que j'ai jamais su, c'est que quand il fait "bip bip", un truc désastreux et probablement hilarant va s'abattre sur le prédateur vicieux qui le poursuit.

Tu vois... C'est tout simple en vrai. J'ai toujours aimé ces slapstick cartoons. Il y a des studios d'animation qui perpétuent cette tradition complètement farfelue de nos jours. Par exemple en France, Xilam (Oggy et les Cafards, Zig et Sharko). C'est marrant pour les mômes (ainsi que pour les adultes, à l'occasion).

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:44 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Completely off-topic (coyotes), but Anchorage is going to “hunker down” mode for the month of December. No indoor dining, bars closed, etc. And you can forget ouutdoor dining with all the snow and cold temps.
curious, do they even mask at all up there?

i got a cousin and his family there and anyway i just want to visit someday. ive only made it as far as vancouver though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

[QUOTE=mousquet;9118890]Je me rappelle plus. Géocoucou me dit vaguement quelque chose, mais je ne sais plus quoi.

https://youtu.be/Nx_UgwT9_u4

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:23 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

D'après moi, au Québec rares sont ceux qui disaient "Géocoucou". C'était soit "bip bip" ou "le roadrunner" (prononcé "roadrunneux").

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New York City public schools will begin reopening in-person learning in early December, mayor says

Quote:
New York City public schools grades 3-k, Pre-k, and K-5th grade will begin reopening for in-person learning Dec. 7, Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

Schools will begin reopening in phases, de Blasio said.

Students will be tested weekly and parents will be required to sign a consent form for every student that will take in-person classes, de Blasio said.

Nearly 300,000 students are eligible to return to school, according to de Blasio.

District 75 schools, which provide specialized instruction for students with significant needs, will reopen beginning Dec. 10, de Blasio said

Schools are moving to five-days a week of in-person classes as much as possible, the mayor said.
===================
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...20103774f57f15

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 8:51 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Some interesting data from around the world here on how they've fared in terms of case loads, fatalities, lockdown severity, economic damage, and access to vaccines: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...=pocket-newtab

Quote:
The Best and Worst Places to Be in the Coronavirus Era

By Rachel Chang, Jinshan Hong and Kevin Varley
November 24, 2020

As Covid-19 has spread around the world, it’s challenged preconceptions about which places would best tackle the worst public health crisis in a generation.

Advanced economies like the U.S. and U.K., ranked by various pre-2020 measures as being the most prepared for a pandemic, have been repeatedly overwhelmed by infections and face a return to costly lockdowns. Meanwhile, other countries—even developing nations—have defied expectations, some all but eliminating the pathogen within their borders.

Bloomberg crunched the numbers to determine the best places to be in the coronavirus era: where has the virus been handled most effectively with the least amount of disruption to business and society?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
curious, do they even mask at all up there?

i got a cousin and his family there and anyway i just want to visit someday. ive only made it as far as vancouver though.
It’s the same as everywhere else. Masks are required, but there’s still the ones that don’t believe in doing so. Also, now communities can completely ban intrastate travel if they wish. I’m not sure if any have done so though.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:15 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

Quote:
^ Excuse my French, but this is just a motherfucking feat. We don't know how you guys do that where I am in France. Are you guys totally shut down to the world or something?
For example, how does the youth act in your country? Over here, youngsters go depressed if you deprive them from their weekly parties, their college mates and so on. So a lot of them keep spreading the virus by their undisciplined attitude, but I personally can't even blame on them, because I would've done the same and possibly worse when I was 20.

Anyway, the so called 2nd wave is going under control here, while the government, their advisors, scientists were freaking out a couple of weeks ago.
So restrictions are about to be eased for Christmas and New Year's Eve. But then, I would expect a "3rd wave" for February and March. Lol.

Only a vaccine can effectively free us from that curse. But the French (including myself) are a bit skeptical about the latest announcements. We're like - how did the Pfizer/BioNThec consortium or Moderna manage to develop their vaccines so fast, while it normally takes at least 2 years to seriously make it? Sure, the latest tech can make their tests faster, but it's still a bit astonishing, if not uncertain. So approval to their products might take a little time here. No doubt the French bureaucracy will carefully watch them anyway.
Apart from obvious geographic differences (i.e island country versus a country with land borders), I dunno what it is, really. Even then using an island as an excuse is a load of shite anyhow - Victoria's second wave was a breach in hotel quarantine and a super-spreader event from security guards working there. South Australia had one of these events 3 weeks ago - the virus can still get into island countries and it can be rapid once it's in the community.

Broadly speaking, Australians generally want their governments to fix fuck ups / lead during crises and we just give them lee-way to do it. For the past year, I've seen a lot of libertarians crow about all sorts of crap - and that just doesn't work here. The Murdoch media tried, and failed.

The second wave had 3 months worth of lockdown - 6 weeks of very very little contact with other people, then we were allowed in "single buddy bubbles" (if you were living alone, you could nominate one other person and visit them once a day) and then restrictions were eased gradually.

Also, the state's public health system was completely and utterly unprepared and they used the time during lockdown to bolster everything. The contact tracing system saw a major upgrade, they started using different quarantining strategies (mainly for every case, their close contacts and the close contacts of the close contacts - 2 ring fences - are quarantined). We also learned that if you're having more than a couple of hundred cases a day, no contact tracing system is going to be effective (hence hard lockdown is the only way to smash case loads down).

Broadly - once again - libertarian arguments don't really work here in Australia. We get that you need a little bit of authoritarianism (on the lighter scale) every now and again and you need to work together as a society to get a collective outcome.

Seeing the economic wash up after all of this is done is going to be interesting. Yes, the centre-right side of politics (or those participants who just wanted to sink the boot into the state government because politics (rather than helping with a public health response) was It'S aBoUt ThE EcOnOmY StUpiD, but we had 3-4 months of major restrictions and things are now roaring back to life (December's unemployment figures for Victoria will be interesting as they'll reflect a full month of severe restrictions having been lifted and continung to be eased through November). It'll be interesting to see how things go - where each country/sub-national jurisdiction ends up whether you go down the path we did versus trying to balance things that other countries seem to be doing (hoping for vaccines to do the job etc).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:42 PM

^ Of course, I can see about what you're saying. I was kind of a tongue in cheek.

But fact is there's also some geopolitical, economic and sociological matter, if you really want to speak broadly.
You guys are neighbors of Southeast Asia that's booming. So your economic constraints are not the same as ours. Tomorrow is surely a good thing to you, no matter what virus, with the massive economic growth all over your region and around your country.

It is harder to reassure the people about their economic future in this part of the world, Europe, where there's an old establishment that keeps taking everything for granted.
The youth is not really optimistic about their future here. Thus their skepticism towards the government and anything related.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Protesters take to the streets over new COVID-19 restrictions

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 6:30 AM
Never Dell

Ironic that they're waving US flags.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 7:02 AM
你的媽媽

On the bright side most of them will likely get COVID and with vaccines on the horizon we are getting closer to herd immunity.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
On the bright side most of them will likely get COVID and with vaccines on the horizon we are getting closer to herd immunity.
But people do get infected more than once.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions