HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:24 AM
One Thing At A Time

Not quite Salt Lake City but Utah. Love this band and this album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RhbqGngGfs

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:30 AM
One Thing At A Time

Also there is a new pop song from a band called The Aces called 801 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkvhNsvo-qw

and of course the most notable reference to Utah in the Post Malone song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=393C3pr2ioY

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:33 AM

As mentioned above, the thing by the pixies is Fantastic!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:35 AM
One Thing At A Time

For those who don't know Post Malone has a permanent residence here in Utah. Spends a lot of time here. Travis Barker from Blink 182 and him have started a label that does a lot of their production work at Post Malone's house. I believe this video was shot on his property here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmehcK7KfQ

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:53 AM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:21 AM

Salt Lake City by The Dwarves - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLgx2oSHpms

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:29 AM

I Lost My Sugar in Salt Lake City aka The Salt Lake City Blues, sung by many a singer, including Johnny Mercer and Peggy Lee. I also like the instrumental version by Sonny Dunham and his orchestra

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 26, 2020 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
For those who don't know Post Malone has a permanent residence here in Utah. Spends a lot of time here. Travis Barker from Blink 182 and him have started a label that does a lot of their production work at Post Malone's house. I believe this video was shot on his property here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmehcK7KfQ
A relative briefly met Mr Malone up in the Morgan area. I believe he has a second place near one of the cottonwood canyons too. I’ve also seen him driving his Lambo up north

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:13 AM

Faith no more also has a video filmed in SLC

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:41 AM

Another song by The Pixies with Utah in it is "Palace of the Brine". Not one of my favorite Pixies songs. I was a huge fan of The Pixies in high school. Nice to see Pixies fans on here.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
A relative briefly met Mr Malone up in the Morgan area. I believe he has a second place near one of the cottonwood canyons too. I’ve also seen him driving his Lambo up north
Post owns the house that Niels Valentiner, a local architect, designed and lived in. He is the V in VCBO Architects. The house is located at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon up on the south shoulder above the road.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Another song by The Pixies with Utah in it is "Palace of the Brine". Not one of my favorite Pixies songs. I was a huge fan of The Pixies in high school. Nice to see Pixies fans on here.
I totally forgot about that song. It is definitely about the Great Salt Lake and probably about the Great Saltair, too.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:47 AM
One Thing At A Time

There are pixies fans here because the pixies are objectively amazing.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 12:25 PM

Also worth mentioning, the music video for the song “such great Heights” by the postal service features Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
I figured as much that you lived in sprawltopia, ie. Lehi, Draper, etc. That's awesome that you lived next to transit line. But, unfortunately, much of that development out there is still based on a very car-centric mindset.
You figured? I have a family and grew up in Utah County, where the hell else ought I to live?

Quote:
You live in Lehi for the jobs in Thanksgiving Point. So, of course it doesn't make sense that you commute to downtown. What I'm arguing is that there is no central consensus or still a very backwards sprawl mindset of Utahns versus the more urban Salt Lakers, who seem to understand the problems of sprawl.
Actually, I lived in Orem and now Lindon while most of Lehi was just farmland. My payroll company chose Lehi because it offered a central location between Utah and SL counties for our clients. Downtown, no matter how ideal a notion to pack all business into a central downtown core, would not have been a good fit for our workers or clients.

Quote:
Lehi has no real masterplan for office buildings and mixed-use development to not be car-dependent. There is no incentive to not be car-centered and therefore there really isn't much to curb the trend to sprawl out as far as cheap land is allowed to be developed on despite the fact that it further exacerbates infrastructure , ir. roads, sewer, utility issues.
I agree, Thanksgiving Point is a hodge-podge mess of businesses, restuarants and retail bisected by unwalkable and unpassable freeways and road corridors.

Quote:
his is in complete contrast to Portland and Seattle, where new road construction is frowned upon and new mass transit is highly encouraged. Tighter, denser, walkable, and more vibrant urban development is therefore encouraged up here.
Well, 95% of US cities resemble the growth and sprawl of SLC than they do Seattle and Portland. Then again, we don't have anarchists taking over our cities either. Btw, my father lived in Seattle for twenty years. City is fantastic if you can afford to live in the "walkable" older areas. Otherwise, the traffic in Seattle, cars, and congestion is much worse than SLC.

Can't go back Orlando, we can only go forward. The best we can do now is try make the sprawlopia of Utah denser and more urban...which is what I think planners are trying to do. Light rail has gone in, higher density housing is going in around the light rail nodes. It will take time. I have never, not even remotely liked or agreed with the car-centric and sprawl planning, but here it is and what can we do?

Last edited by tchild2; Nov 26, 2020 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:55 PM
One Thing At A Time

If you think “anarchists” are “taking over” cities you’re watching the wrong news source. I have friends that live in Portland. Small protests are happening. Most of them peaceful. When they aren’t it’s because of police aggression. That’s it. Stop believing in the Boogie Man.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:55 PM
They all float down here

George Soros funded anarchists. It's true. I read it on Parler.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:12 AM

Don't forget my favorite group of local artists, The Piano Guys. While they don't have Salt Lake in any lyrics (since there are no lyrics) but they almost always feature Salt Lake or a Utah landscape in their music videos.

Downtown Library and Natural History Museum
Video Link

Downtown SLC and Big Cottonwood Canyon
Video Link

Thanksgiving Point
Video Link

Salt Lake and Heber Valley Railroad
Video Link

Southern Utah
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchild2 View Post
Actually, I lived in Orem and now Lindon while most of Lehi was just farmland. My payroll company chose Lehi because it offered a central location between Utah and SL counties for our clients. Downtown, no matter how ideal a notion to pack all business into a central downtown core, would not have been a good fit for our workers or clients.
I'm from Orem. Grew up there when it still had some undeveloped orchards to play in. Crazy that Orem now has the highest population density for cities in Utah (if I heard right). You have 100K people in ~18 square miles. Nice neighborhoods to stroll, but walkability in Orem is nil. Lived in PG and other areas of UT County and also South SL County - even with our horrid air quality on the Wasatch Front, walkability isn't even a thought in planning and development, sadly.

Live in Marmalade now and we can walk/bike to the Lee's for groceries. Walk to the library. Walk to the barber. Walk to the dry cleaners. Walk to multiple restaurants too (including the best wings in Utah) - all just a couple blocks from home! We're loving the way this old neighborhood is growing and don't miss UT County at all.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 11:27 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO View Post
I'm from Orem. Grew up there when it still had some undeveloped orchards to play in. Crazy that Orem now has the highest population density for cities in Utah (if I heard right). You have 100K people in ~18 square miles. Nice neighborhoods to stroll, but walkability in Orem is nil. Lived in PG and other areas of UT County and also South SL County - even with our horrid air quality on the Wasatch Front, walkability isn't even a thought in planning and development, sadly.

Live in Marmalade now and we can walk/bike to the Lee's for groceries. Walk to the library. Walk to the barber. Walk to the dry cleaners. Walk to multiple restaurants too (including the best wings in Utah) - all just a couple blocks from home! We're loving the way this old neighborhood is growing and don't miss UT County at all.
Population density figures are meaningless and arbitrary since they don't account for large swaths of uninhibited areas.

Case in point: I actually believe Kearns is considered the number one city in Utah in terms of population density (Orem is fifth), while Salt Lake City is ... isn't even in the top-25.

No one would seriously think Kearns or Orem or South Salt Lake or West Joran were denser than Salt Lake City. Yet Salt Lake City's population density is 1,934 residents per square mile.

But we also know a significant part of the city's 111 square miles is vacant land, marsh and mountains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West