HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 9:03 AM

So is this still the final plan for the design or is it still just a placeholder? I'm also curious when the Warriors will release interior photos of the court area.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 6:24 PM

New group just launced to SUPPORT this epic arena. I think this could potentially be the NIMBY shitfit of the decade, and I intend to personally spend time to make sure this masterpiece gets built (and also end the long and annoying treks to the Oracle Arena and HP Pavillion for concerts).

http://sfappeal.com/2013/04/group-la...arriors-arena/
http://www.warriorsonthewaterfront.com

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:07 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
make sure this masterpiece gets built (and also end the long and annoying treks to the Oracle Arena and HP Pavilion for concerts).
Yes--we really need a cool place for concerts in the City--an arena has definitely been missing from the scene and this could be one of the best!

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And - taking a cue from the archways fences at AT&T Park that let fans watch games for free from the outfield - the arena architects have yanked out 750 seats to add a 25-foot-wide glass curtain on the walkway that would allow people to peer inside during games, albeit probably with a limited view of the floor.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/m...#ixzz2SQK5dYKc

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 9:36 PM
TL;DR

I love the cladding but I'm skeptical they can actually get that tiled look.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I love the cladding but I'm skeptical they can actually get that tiled look.
I think it's possible. Here's another building (WTC Pavillion) by Snohetta:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3222417...3759/lightbox/

I'm not saying it's exact, but it definitely looks possible.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:03 AM

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:09 AM
Surrounded by Nature

I'm totally drooling--it's super sexy--please let it happen!!

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:23 AM

Wow that is beautiful- Go SF!!

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:31 AM
Metal Up Your !

It's a piece of art, public space, an arena, and a destination. LOVE the design.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:39 AM

I really don't like the outside design at all. Not only does it strike me as boring it also looks like AAA in Miami. With that being said, the location as well as the design feature that allows the fans to look in is tremendous and second to none. Can't wait to see it built.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 10:03 AM

This just came to me, the current x pattern design of Oracle Arena kind of echoes the x pattern of the Bay Bridge. I think it would've been cool if they were to incorporate something like that in a contemporary way towards the new Warriors arena but that just might seem a little redundant. Nonetheless, I think the design of the new arena is a bit conservative, a location like this presents an opportunity to come up with something that should come close to rivaling the Sydney Opera House but that would require a lot of risk taking and that's asking a lot for an architecturally conservative city like San Francisco. I think the new renderings for the future Atlanta Falcons Stadium would be a good example, but I'm just glad the city is even embracing building an arena so i won't complain. Fortunately (or unfortunately) not a lot of arenas in the league have pushed the envelope so this one looks as nice as any other NBA arena right now, although I agree that it looks an awful lot like American Airlines Arena (in a similar setting as well) so that takes away a lot of originality points, but overall in context, it's a very good design and a great addition to the city.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:21 PM
Build Baby Build

Incredible arena design. It looks like the NBA is stepping up and pushing for better arenas as the sport grows, after the Nets' masterpiece. AT&T Park is not going to be happy being upstaged so dramatically. To go from an ugly concrete parking lot to this arena that will serve the city is the most amazing transformation anybody could have hoped for for this location.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Incredible arena design. It looks like the NBA is stepping up and pushing for better arenas as the sport grows, after the Nets' masterpiece. AT&T Park is not going to be happy being upstaged so dramatically. To go from an ugly concrete parking lot to this arena that will serve the city is the most amazing transformation anybody could have hoped for for this location.
How is this "upstaging" AT&T? They are completely different venues and I think they will complement each other well. At the end of the day this will be a great NBA facility and AT&T will still be right there with PNC for the best ballpark in MLB.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 10:07 PM

This is going to be more a concert/ entertainment venue than a basketball arena- Warriors plan on using it only 50 days out of the year with 200 days for other events.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 10:56 PM

^Even 50 games implies a very deep playoff run each year (hope so, but you know )

I think it will be pretty awesome if they can actually make use of it 200 days a year. That seems pretty aggressive - the Staples Center is usually listed as the arena used the most days of the year, usually around 250. But that's with two home NBA teams, a home WNBA team and a home NHL team.

Filling 150 days a year with concerts, etc is going to be pretty tough.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:03 PM

I think it's phenomenal. Futuristic without being gaudy (I love the Sydney Opera House, but it would be so easy to build a cheesy piece of crap in reaching for that kind of iconic design). The "portal" looking out onto the bridge is breathtaking and the public spaces are going to make it stand above most comparable arenas. Can't wait to take a ferry from the north bay directly to a game.

I'm curious about just how transparent the glass shell is intended to be. In several renders, it looks almost like it's shrouded in aluminum, but my gut tells me (and would prefer it if) it's going to be clearer than that. Between the glass and the Bay Light-style LED displays, this thing is going to look otherwordly, with people standing on starlit beams of glass.

Also, ByTheBay's notion of incorporating some version of the X-bracing found on Oracle and the Bay Bridge makes me think of the update of Pauley Pavillion on UCLA's campus -- they took the original inverted-pyramid exterior design (which also had X-braces coincidentally) and incorporated it into the interior of a new concourse. Love it when new and renovated buildings tip their hats to their predecessors. That kind of bracing doesn't really seem to be part of Snohetta's aesthetic, but I wouldn't object at all.

Anyway, I'm glad the developers have taken the community's input into consideration, rather than trying to stonewall the "NIMBYs" in the neighborhood. People do live and work there, and their concerns are genuine, so it's nice to see a real dialogue between parties. If this gets built (and the America's Cup Pavilion doesn't turn out terribly), this stretch of SOMA is going to be one of the premiere sporting and event destinations in the world.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:46 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 10:58 PM

Governor Brown signed AB 1273 today, which authorizes the State Lands Commission to approve the arena project instead of the Bay Conservation and Development Commission, in an effort to streamline its approval.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 11:42 PM
testify

i could kiss the governor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development