HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:50 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That is very promising! I like their work. In other news, the Port Commission has set-up a community advisory committee to ensure neighbors of the project are involved and heard. Hopefully, that will help keep everyone happy while keeping the project on track. Here's the website if you want to keep abreast of the community-involvement process.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 1:30 AM
testify

it'll be a tall order to compete with barclays center in brooklyn, but i'm pretty confident that we'll get an audacious design from the scandinavian team, which would go a long way to silencing the doubters. think of it: for a crew like snohetta, this is a career-making opportunity to create a globally-iconic building. sure, moma is huge, but this is something that could show up in elementary school textbooks in yemen if it's good enough. one can only assume that these folks will go to the styx and back to deliver an iconic design for us.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 8:23 PM
REAL Kiwi!

I love the project and it stretching activity along the embarcadero, and that location with a great design would be stunning. Cant wait to see it....

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 4:07 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
...the Port Commission has set-up a community advisory committee to ensure neighbors of the project are involved and heard. Hopefully, that will help keep everyone happy while keeping the project on track.
Ugh, scratch that. I just read that Sue Hestor was at the first meeting. Forget about this being productive in any way and prepare for nonsensical lawsuits. I didn't see her name on the committee roster, but she was quoted in a Matier & Ross article.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:33 PM

New specs and renderings were unveiled by Snohetta today:

http://www.nba.com/warriors/sf?venue

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 1:32 AM
testify

a few immediate thoughts:
1) hard to see the ferry stop, one would hope that it'd be better integrated or dropped completely, given that the ferry building is itself in such close proximity;
2) massing for the buildings on the opposite triangle are obviously designed to placate opposition from that quarter, and we already know that there'll be quite a large number of parking spaces there, pleasing neighbors immensely, even if it's all wrong;
3) the small building footprints and insane amount of plaza/public space are smart, very much what people want from the waterfront and greatly lessening the load the city backers will have to carry to push it forward;
4) the design is intelligent for this town: if it were super flamboyant, there'd be opposition on the basis of overly iconic and waterfront-changing grounds, if it weren't fairly spectacular, the movers would have trouble getting the plebs behind it. it strikes just the right balance.
5) finally, the white/gray theme is interesting in the context, not particularly consistent, it'd be interesting to see how this one pushes the waterfront forward (exploratorium and the cruise ship terminal were/are just depressing).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 6:23 AM

I don't have a problem with the area around the arena itself. I especially like the kayak and canoe loading area. But as far as the arena itself goes, that was a complete letdown. It looks like they tried to use a Cowboys Stadium futuristic design and ended up with the BOK Center in Tulsa. Would have liked to have seen something much better.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 7:38 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

More renderings from sfgate's article:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 8:23 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I don't have a problem with the area around the arena itself. I especially like the kayak and canoe loading area. But as far as the arena itself goes, that was a complete letdown. It looks like they tried to use a Cowboys Stadium futuristic design and ended up with the BOK Center in Tulsa. Would have liked to have seen something much better.
While I like the design of the arena, that is not the final design. This round of design was mainly used for planning how the area will be laid out. Detailed design work for the arena is still to come. Read the full article for a more detailed description.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...ng-3951484.php

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 8:29 PM
Droppin' Loads

More details and better pics from WILLYGTO1 at SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLYGTO1 View Post
The preliminary design concepts of the Warriors San Francisco venue were unveiled today in coordination with the official architect team of Snøhetta and AECOM.

Venue Footprint: 170,000 square feet

Venue Height: 135 feet. For reference, AT&T Park is 183 feet to the light standard, 132 feet to the top of the seating bowl

Venue Seating Capacity: 17,500. For reference, the capacity of Oracle Arena is 19,596

Venue Total Square Footage: (excluding practice facilities and meeting rooms): 740,000 square feet

Practice Courts: 21,000 square feet

Community Event Room: 10,000 square feet

Parking Spaces: approximately 630. Piers 30-32 currently parks 1,500 cars

Retail: 105,000 square feet

Open Space: 333,000 square feet

Open Space as Portion of Total Site Area: 333,000 square feet out of 548,500 square feet. The Warriors are committed to no less than 50 percent of the site being dedicated to open space

Maritime Uses: Ferry landing, fire boat/fire station facility (accommodating three fire boats), water taxi landing, kayak docking

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 8:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Fantastic location...

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6306

Unveiled> Golden State Warriors Arena
Snohetta and AECOM reveal conceptual scheme for dramatic waterfront facility in San Francisco

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 7:50 PM

Apparently the Giants are now against this arena going in at piers 30-32. So lame:

Quote:
Everybody loves the Giants. They won the World Series twice. They built the beautiful ballpark that jump-started SoMa. And they attract more than 3 million fans a year.

They aren't just a baseball team. They are civic leaders.

Now they need to start acting like it.

When the team began to snipe at plans to put a basketball arena for the Warriors on the vacant, run-down Piers 30-32, we chalked it up to off-season crankiness. But now it is clear the Giants are actively discouraging the project.

That's not what they are saying, of course. Team spokeswoman Staci Slaughter says we've got the wrong idea.

"The Giants support the building of an arena for the Warriors in San Francisco," she said in a statement. "It is important, however, that the facility and site be thoroughly studied and planned so the project can function properly for the neighborhood and the city as a whole."

Their position is that is took them years to find the right location for the ballpark. Now the Warriors are rushing the process through. But in the 1990s, when the Giants' facility was on the drawing board, there were several sites to choose from. Now those have been filled with development. There simply aren't that many spots for an arena that might take up 5 acres or more.

Giants suggest Pier 50
Asked where they'd suggest, the Giants floated the idea of Pier 50, which is south of the ballpark, away from downtown, and off the busy Embarcadero corridor. Safely, in other words, away from AT&T, which would still be the center of the SoMa universe. (Oh, and if the Giants get their waterfront village built on parking lot A, basketball fans would be funneled right through their commercial village to go to a Pier 50 arena.)

It is hard to believe the Giants can raise some of these objections with a straight face. When they were planning what is now AT&T Park, all the familiar concerns were raised: a downtown facility would be a traffic nightmare, neighborhoods would be ruined, and the noise and congestion would be intolerable. The Giants battled through those perceptions, built a jewel of a ballpark, and won nearly everyone over.

But now that they are established in the neighborhood, the Giants have suddenly gone NIMBY, using the same congestion/traffic/public transit arguments....

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius...#ixzz2EUXxAg6h

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 7:04 PM

Really don't like this design, although the location is incredible. Just looks like an amorphous metallic blob. Considering what a great view of the bay this would eprovide, I'd like to see the interior windows look more like the earlier rendering:

I hope they alter the hell out of this one.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 4:49 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Snøhetta architect Craig Dykers discusses his design concepts for the new Warriors arena on YouTube.

Not a lot of new info, but interesting to hear his thoughts on the architecture.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Really don't like this design, although the location is incredible. Just looks like an amorphous metallic blob. Considering what a great view of the bay this would eprovide, I'd like to see the interior windows look more like the earlier rendering:

I hope they alter the hell out of this one.
That design looks very nice!

Last edited by aquablue; Feb 14, 2013 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 7:07 AM

I was wondering when this would happen. And it looks like it might!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 8:57 AM
heavy user of walkability

agh, it sounds like a lot of what he talks about is now having to be re-worked

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:39 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Yeah, especially the views of the Bay Bridge from the south that they were trying to frame between the buildings. But I do like the idea of a back-up cruise ship terminal, which also could improve ferry docking as well. If it enables the approval from the Coastal Commission, it will be worth the delay.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 10:26 PM

I liked the location of the arena so I hope the design still turns out great. But if moving it means we get more stakeholders on board then I guess that's what it takes.

I'm predicting this will be the NIMBY shitshow of the decade. They gotta come out with all guns blazing.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
I liked the location of the arena so I hope the design still turns out great. But if moving it means we get more stakeholders on board then I guess that's what it takes.

I'm predicting this will be the NIMBY shitshow of the decade. They gotta come out with all guns blazing.
Meh, I'm a bit optimistic. There aren't that many "NIMBYs" in that area since it's fairly new. Lots of ppl who are new to SF and more traffic and commerce in the area would tend to raise property values. Plus, the arena doesn't really block views.

I do think that public transit and traffic in that area needs to be improved ASAP if they want an arena there. Embarcadero -> NBA arena -> MLB stadium -> 4th Caltrain station, along with tons of high rise and mid-rise condos along the way means a ton of traffic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development