HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 7:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As someone who has lived in Winnipeg and Edmonton and appreciates both cities, I think this thread is overselling Winnipeg's urbanism and underselling Edmonton's. There are parts of Edmonton with great urban character that I as a Winnipegger would die for. Conversely, Winnipeg has done little to develop its urban character in the last hundred years. So much of the quality urbanism dates back to the 1910s or earlier... some of it has aged well and is still healthy like downtown and the Exchange District, while some of it is basically a hollowed out cadaver at this point, like Selkirk Ave. and many of the old streetcar routes north of downtown.

wikipedia

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 8:10 PM
video et taceo

Looks a lot like Cleveland or something.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 8:24 PM

Excellent example. North Main Street. A nice slice of Edwardian urbanism that was full on skid row by the 80s. I wouldn't walk there after dark. To be honest I'd be reluctant to walk there during the day.

So it has the bones, but the social fabric has disintegrated nearly completely. I expect that at this point ue will step in with some words about colonization, displacement and such but I am not so much concerned with how it came to this as I am with the result... and it is grim.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 8:56 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Thanks!

It's also really weird how much worse Edmonton's 'bones' are compared with Calgary's. Now, Calgary has been given a huge leg up with some nice infill and public realm improvements, but still. There aren't any Inglewoods lying around. And yet, both cities are and have been almost in constant lockstep population-wise since the 1890s. Edmonton didn't have a smaller pre-war footprint than Calgary (in fact it was a bit larger back then) so it definitely had an extent of pre-automobile era urbanism comparable to Calgary. While Whyte Ave looks nicer than 17th in general (aided by the frontier-ish old buildings), the other main streets in Edmonton are pretty ugly except 97th Street. Jasper Ave, especially west of 109th is a stroad with little architectural value along it (although it is improving). 124th Street is a very odd hodgepodge of architecture. Alberta Avenue (118th) is quite shabby. 109th Street would be forgettable if not for its proximity to the UofA. Comparatively, 1st Ave NE in Bridgeland, 10th and Kensington in Kensington, 9th Ave in Inglewood, 8th Ave downtown, and 4th St in Mission are pretty nice. Sure, there's shabbier main streets like 33 Ave SW in Marda Loop, Centre St in Crescent Heights, and Bowness Road, but it's not quite as stark as in Edmonton where it's Whyte, 97th, and then the rest. The Beltline is also a better high-density residential urban neighbourhood than Oliver.
Perhaps surprisingly, the decision for the CPR to take the Kicking Horse Pass in the late 1800s over Yellowhead Pass caused Calgary to boom much earlier than Edmonton, which, at least in my opinion, lead to it having a more considerable stock of historic buildings than Edmonton.

For example, in 1891 Calgary had 3,876 where Edmonton only had 700 in 1892. By 1911, Calgary had 43,704 and Edmonton nearly half that at 24,900. It wasn't until the mid 1930s where the two cities drew nearly equal in population, with Edmonton surpassing Calgary from 1936 to 1975, where Calgary recaptured the title as Alberta's largest city. This growth trend is why Edmonton likely has a greater stock of mid-century modern architecture than Calgary, whereas Calgary has a greater stock of Edwardian and earlier buildings.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 10:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I mean, yes and no. Usually the projection is school -> Toronto -> SF/Seattle/LA/NY. And if not then it's school in Toronto -> those destinations. I haven't been here long and I already have a slew of colleagues who are now in NY or LA. Like any other city there's going to be a transient working population that move around large world cities because that's the sort of option that's available to them.

I don't think anyone can really argue that Toronto isn't the financial and business centre of Canada. What you're arguing is a different conversation altogether (career pathways of specific industries). Like yeah, I don't doubt that people in comp sci or tech are in SF. Why wouldn't they be? There's nothing Toronto or any other city in the world can do about that if that's the world hub for those industries.
Let's not forget that Toronto, Canada's business centre, is largely the way that it is (good and bad) because of the way Canadian business is.

Think of what the Canadian business sector is like? What images does it evoke?

You have your answer.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 10:47 PM

Having been to Edmonton a few times (my family's originally from there) I'd agree that the aesthetic is very plain and functionalist. It feels like a city designed by engineers and most of the building stock feels notably "plain" and roadways are exceptionally wide/redundant by ROC standards. Strathcona/Whyte Ave feel like a little slice of Eastern Canada, but the city as a whole feels distinctly Prairie/Northern. A big part of this is the flat landscape and the general "squareness" of everything.

Indoor spaces in Edmonton tend to be above-average in terms of design/aesthetic/investment and this leads me to note a couple interrelated factors - the city's designed to function in such a way that minimizes the amount of time people need to spend outdoors, and that people there simply tend to value the private/personal/indoors significantly more than the public/outdoor urban realm. The plainness of the architecture is an extension of this, as well as the highly practical, "value for money" attitude that tends to dominate there.

The flip side is that everything there does seem to work quite well. The infrastructure feels overbuilt in that it takes up a lot of space which can have a negative impact on some "urban" qualities, but it also doesn't seem to suffer from as many infrastructure-related problems overall as most other cities in the ROC.

Calgary and Winnipeg feel less functionalist but seem like they would deal with worse traffic and other "technical" problems more than Edmonton. Halifax is sort of the polar opposite of Edmonton - a city that tends to value aesthetic and lofty idealism over value and functionality, with the sorts of strengths and weaknesses that you might expect from this sort of tradeoff. My impression is that the coastal cities + Quebec tend to be more on the "aesthetic/principle" end of the spectrum and Ontario + the Prairies tend to lean more towards "value/functionality". Winnipeg and Ottawa both seem to fall in an awkward point in the middle of this spectrum, and Moncton is more aligned with Ont/Prairies.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
So when I remember Winnipeg, I mostly remember beige and the surface parking lots between my office building near Broadway and the little mall-like thing where I got lunch closer to Portage. But I remember the Exchange having beautiful buildings and empty streets, and Osborne Village having hideous buildings and full streets haha.
This is pretty much how I found it as well. Osborne has some nice older buildings, as does the city in general, but what tended to stand out more was the midcentury, brutalist architecture which I find ugly by Canadian standards (though more adventurous than anywhere other than MTL). The city's overall aesthetic felt dull and gloomy compared to the colourful East Coast (more similar to parts of Ontario, but wider/more spread out). Downtown, the Exchange, and some surrounding areas had really impressive architecture but felt underused as a whole. Areas like Chinatown and parts of St. Boniface felt like they had simply been forgotten about at some point.

The urban form is interesting, as you move away from the core the buildings still tend to meet the sidewalk on main streets where in other cities they'd probably have parking in front (I'm thinking of areas like this), and there's a consistent use of boulevards that isn't really seen anywhere else in Canada. A lot of neighbourhoods are built around narrow lots + laneways + boulevards, which is a fairly unique setup within Canada.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 11:50 PM

Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Citizen_Dane_ View Post
As a life-long Edmontonian, I’ll say it’s a city that doesn't photograph well — least of all in streetview — but it does have some places that work in-person. Oliver’s the big one I think. Looking at it, it’s this weird — and at times downright ugly —mix of pre-war Foursquares and ‘50s walkups, and contemporary towers, yet it’s actually a really nice community to walk through. It might not be the best urban neighbourhood in Canada — it could be denser, a little less run-down in spots, have more businesses inside the community and away from Jasper Avenue, etc. — yet it’s decent, and lively in its own way. But my opinion may be coloured as someone less-traveled.

Having said all that though, I agree with everything you’ve said. Edmonton’s biggest weakness is its lack of urban cohesion. We have blocks or stretches of blocks that almost work, but nothing more (perhaps with the exception of Whyte). As ue mentioned, there’s places like 104th, a great urban street that just isn’t as lively as it ought to be, or places like 124th, which is nice enough but has plenty of gaps in it. What’s more pressing to me though is how we can have a stretch of historic buildings or smaller-scale storefronts that just give way to downright inhospitable stretches the next block over.

My mind’s always drawn to the 97th Street area. Along Jasper you have this great collection of Edwardian buildings — by Edmonton-standards it could really be something special — but twist your head forty-five degrees and you’re met with the hulking mass that is Canada Place. Or down 97th itself. Again, great pre-war buildings, but turn around in any direction and you’re met with the ass-end of the Provincial Law Courts, an old C.N.R. underpass, and the Brownlee Building.

Most of our ills can be explained away due to the history of Alberta’s booms and busts (as much of a cop-out as that may be). Prior to the Great War the city was blooming into something beautiful, and we developed a surprisingly dense downtown core for a city of our size. But then a real-estate bust came in 1913, then the Great War, then an exodus of 20,000 people, then the Great Depression, then the Second World War. Edmonton’s population stagnated and the number of major buildings erected between 1914 and 1939 could probably be counted on two hands. It’s not hyperbole to say the Edmonton of the early 1940s was a time-capsule.

Anyways, all this is to say that when oil was discovered in ‘47 there was a rush to modernize the entire city. Most looked at the forty-year-old core and decided it needed ‘updating’ and update it they did until the late ‘80s when the next major bust came around. In its wake it left dozens of demolished heritage buildings, undeveloped lots, monolithic towers, and nothing in between. Some thirty-plus years on we’re still dealing with its effects.

There has been progress in recent years, of course, but that mid-century clear-cutting of the downtown core will always plague us. It’s sad to me, but at this point the best downtown Edmonton could really hope to be in terms of a defined urban-form (and we’re talking decades of work out here) is something more akin to Yaletown in Vancouver. Maybe not in style, but in spirit. Something that’s been built from nothing, and while it’s something urban, decent to look at, and maintains a sliver of its past and character, is something that’s still overall pretty soulless and plain, if that makes any sense?

I’ll end my ramble here.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 1:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Excellent example. North Main Street. A nice slice of Edwardian urbanism that was full on skid row by the 80s. I wouldn't walk there after dark. To be honest I'd be reluctant to walk there during the day.

So it has the bones, but the social fabric has disintegrated nearly completely. I expect that at this point ue will step in with some words about colonization, displacement and such but I am not so much concerned with how it came to this as I am with the result... and it is grim.
then theres me o grew up there and would walk through there

and sadly one of those buildings recently burned down in that photo total loss

and the yellow building was torn down almost 10yrs ago. sadly i had found out when to late anyone who wanted it coulda had it for 1$ if they haad just asked
and to the west of main st is a mini exchange with collection of artists and buisnes still functioning

whats hurting that area of winnipeg is its an area u need to have cash in hand to do anything banks dont care and see it as high risk and wont touch much

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 1:55 AM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
I'd swear you're talking about parts of Hamilton here. If I had a nickel for the amount of times I've thought about the potential this city has, we'd have no problem having the LRT built

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 2:17 AM

Thanks for all the replies everybody! I'm glad this thread is blossoming into some really in-depth conversation. I will try and slowly reply to some of the posts over the past day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I'll be blunt: I have never visited Edmonton, but photos and Street View have always made it appear the ugliest and most utilitarian of Canada's major cities. I have explored neighbourhoods like Oliver and downtown, and in terms of finding a good street, I have always come up empty-handed (I can sometimes find a good block).

That said, urbanism has a human element and the buildings are just the frame to scenes of human movement and dynamism. In this way, I bet there are a lot of places in Edmonton that would strike me, in person, as "this shouldn't work but it does". I have been to places in Miami, for instance, that are like this.

At the heart of urbanism is the phenomenon of placing sites of human activity in very close proximity, with the emergent property being the streetwall. You can get away with a lot of crude architecture if you just do this; if you go the opposite way, with beautiful buildings placed in isolation, like objets d'art, you get a kind of sculpture-garden type feeling that is very far from the feeling of the city. Zaha Hadid and architects like this are enormously guilty of this, as are many of China's new CBDs.

The correct, city-favouring worldview holds Le Corbusier as a minor 20th century villain (major in his field, but minor compared to the far more carnivorous types that so animated that terrible century). One day, his ideas will be as discredited and distasteful as eugenics or phrenology. B.F. Skinner, too, and Julian Huxley.

But these figures are at the foundational heart of our current order and the timeline implies that we go through... some shit before we return to right relation with towns and cities.
I think Dane's response to you later is really good at explaining a bit of why Edmonton is the way it is. That being said, I don't know if the boom and bust cycle is all you can chalk it up to. And there was a point when Edmonton wasn't so ugly. Obviously it did (and in the remnants still does) have gorgeous pre-WWII buildings and urban fabric, but even the modernist and post-modernist projects are pretty decent architecture of their era. It's really only in the last 25-30 years that Edmonton kind of threw sensible aesthetics out the window. Of course, you could see the beginnings of this before then, such as with West Edmonton Mall. And again it is kind of weird, because Edmonton did have the more established arts scene viz Calgary, the better university, a head start on light rail (really Edmonton was a pioneer in that regard). It's almost as if something broke in the city's psyche around 1995.

With regards to your "good street" comment, I do agree there's a real lack of that in Edmonton. You usually find a beautiful block, at best, but not a whole street. However, in Downtown Edmonton, I would argue that 104 Street fits the bill nicest. The streetscape is wonderful - wide, low curbs, plenty of benches - the city really tried to make it as walkable as possible. It has many turn of the century red brick warehouses and the new condos, while kind of ugly if you tilt your head upward, are not bad at street level as the podiums were required to adhere to the red brick aesthetic of the street.

104th has been closed down to vehicles and utilized repeatedly as event space. It was also, until a couple of years ago, the summer site of the Downtown Farmers Market (it moved to a permanent year-round site on 97th). The annoying thing is how lacking in vibrancy it is outside of that. There's a fair number of people who live on the street, who work in the vicinity, and some popular restaurants but still aside from some semi-popular patios, there's a handful of pedestrians usually.

via Taproot Edmonton

Strathcona fits the bill for a strong vibrant urban neighbourhood (and Whyte a great urban main street) but it has a few beautiful blocks, the rest, while full and nicely scaled, are very utilitarian. You are not wrong when you say that Edmonton is the ugliest of the major cities - I've thought the same. That isn't to say there isn't beauty here, but I also think you're right in that a lot of the good doesn't translate well to Google Street View.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I learned this in Shanghai. There are blocks of walled-off tower-in-the-park stuff but then later they knocked holes in the walls to build little retail shacks and cafes and shit. There's no substitute for density. Put enough people close enough together and a city happens.

I don't know if Edmonton is there yet. Downtown felt surprisingly small and dumpy last time I was there. Whyte ave--the whole Garneau-Old Strathcona area, really--is legit but there's not anywhere else to go.

Winnipeg can't really pull together a good high street, but it's got several functional neighbourhoods organized around multiaxial village clusters, somehow. It's weird that for all its old bones, this is a recent development. Winnipeg was a high-street-oriented city, enervated by streetcars. Turn the streetcars to stroads and side streets start absorbing retail pushed off the high streets. It's a credit to the resilience of some of these neighbourhoods, that they can grow around the cancer. Others, like the old Logan-centred neighbourhood, are so dead and gone it's like they never even existed.

Anyway, good thread. Good posts, ue. Thank you.
This is a very good paragraph and it raises some strong points. I think Winnipeg, despite its grand main streets of yore, is better at neighbourhoods as a cohesive unit. Sherbrook is gappy and Broadway is a mixed bag, but West Broadway is a beautiful neighbourhood and in aggregate has many things going on. I do think the stroad-ification probably lead to this to some extent, and led to other main streets that didn't have this happen to take the helm. In the West End, Sargent and Ellice became (or remained) the main streets while Portage turned into hell. The fact that Winnipeg can still offer such a good urban experience despite all the gashes over the decades really indicates how strong it once was and how great we used to build our cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Thanks for the great post.

A lot can be said about cities that are pre-war or post-war, based solely on how they were designed or what was intended for when they were initially built.

There was a thread elsewhere on this forum relating to American cities and someone brought up that Montreal is inherently a better urban city than Toronto based solely on the fact that it grew/peaked earlier. Because Toronto's growth was heavily slanted towards the 60s and 70s a lot of its design was focused on cars and, to a lesser extent, 60s and 70s modernism in its buildings, which hasn't really aged all that well IMO. Because of that, Montreal has the tighter streets, mixed-use neighbourhoods, older buildings, and transit that allows people to get around prior to and without cars. I have no doubt that Winnipeg is of similar difference to Edmonton & Calgary based on this growth timeline.

This isn't to automatically say that older = better, but rather to point out the intent that developers and designers had at the time, and how cars really changed how cities were built (or deconstructed).

What is this in reference to? Transit?
It's a mixed bag imo. On the one hand, we just don't build cities like Winnipeg or Montreal anymore, and so they have a huge leg up in terms of urbanism. It's why even though Dallas is coming in on Chicago in terms of population size, there is no question Dallas is not in the same rung as Chicago and Chicago will probably still be the US third city for some time, even if Dallas surpasses it. Newer cities have to work a lot harder because as others mentioned they are still working within the ideology and ethos of the modernists, even if we think we're far removed from them. The scales are all wrong for the types of cities we say we want to build.

That being said, I think the existence of Toronto and Calgary do prove you can fashion a vibrant, interesting city mostly out of newer stuff. I think Toronto's newness is a bit overstated by Easterners, though perhaps that's because most places feel old compared to Alberta. But Toronto still was the 2nd largest city in Canada, not that far behind Montreal, and has considerable pre-war bones. It's just the proportion of the city from back then was less grandious or ambitious. The supercharged growth that Toronto has had since the 1950s has left a city six times larger than it was back then, while its older bones were a lot roomier than Montreal's or Quebec's, such that it was often insufficient for holding the swelling population. So you get the hodgepodge juxtapositions of Old Toronto. Bay-and-Gables next to '70s slabs next to PoMo mid-rises and modernist storefronts next to luxury curtain walls. It's a lot messier than Montreal.

Calgary is essentially double the size of Winnipeg, and I think only in the last decade-ish has the city really been able to compete with Winnipeg on the urban experience front. That shows how much harder new cities have to work, how much it has to pour into new landmarks and destinations. A real can-do attitude is needed that Winnipeg now lacks, but did have at one point. It's urban fabric is coasting on that era a lot. But even if it worked hard, within the scales of modernist ideology and frameworks, and only achieved an experience on the level of Winnipeg at twice the size, Calgary's existence shows that it is possible to have a city with minimal old stuff and still produce a wonderful urban fabric and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Great posts ue.

As all cities do in their own way, Winnipeg has an interesting aesthetic in Canadian culture. Not quite eastern, but not quite western. When I explore the city I have moments where I look around and feel a strong sense of familiarity with the scale and aesthetics of Toronto or Hamilton, and other times I feel as though I’m out west.

Ue has discussed Wolseley which is my dream neighbourhood for the reasons set out by ue. Currently I live in a central neighbourhood next to it that is sandwiched between Wolseley and downtown. It’s an amazing mix of narrow streets with old prewar homes and I shaped apartment buildings. The streets are lined with big trees. Here is a streetview to give everyone a sense:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8836...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8827...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8844...7i13312!8i6656

But interestingly, despite the good bones, and being quite walkable in almost all respects, it doesn’t have a good high street. The two commercial streets that close the neighbourhood in are underwhelming in terms of their offerings of retail, amenities, restaurants and bars. Looking at a map one can see exactly where they should be (east-west=Broadway, and North-South=Sherbrook), but they seem to struggle to gain any momentum.

I think what was said about momentum is an interesting point. There is a sense of stagnancy. I don’t think inner city / downtown Winnipeg has seen a large/medium scale residential proposal in about two years and the projects currently underway in the core seem to be bumping into issues. However, there is also a great energy in the inner city and core amongst young people and an optimism that leaves me hopeful. The core and pre-war suburbs are very liberal and progressive places in terms of people. I really don't sense the same longing to "escape" the city that I did say 8-10 years ago.
Broadway and Sherbrook skirt the edges of Wolseley. To me, they're more West Broadway's main streets. Wolseley isn't really a bustling urban neighbourhood, but it sure is pleasant. That's its selling point, a cute, homely, pleasant, even vibrant in its own way, but not teeming with life and high-paced. So it makes sense, the small, sparse, but cute Westminster Ave is their main street.

Sherbrook is kind of gappy and its obvious Broadway is supposed to be the main street for that area, but it is coming around pretty nicely. Sherbrook does have some decent restaurants, venues, shops, and services.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:02 AM

Quote:
I think we have to get down to the level where Empire State Plaza is the Houston parking photo, which is Pruitt-Igoe and Cabrini-Green, which is Star Trek, which is 1984, and so on.

What I mean is, an alienated future can be purposelessly imposing, it can be vacant, it can be mis-planned by distant engineers, it can be literally alien or it can be absurd and hostile. They are all aspects of alienation.

Cities and urban spaces are small, close and tight. Choosing to live that way implies a lot of things.
So what's broken? Is it the cities or the people?

As we come to the tail end of the Baby Boom - the first generation wholly of the suburbs - we see their mentality etched on our psyche. The nuclear family and suburbs became the ideal. It is notable that the Baby Boom was largely a North American phenomenon and it follows that North America took on the suburban mentality to the biggest degree.

Their parents - both of the industrial cities of the past and farm county - tried to combine the best of both. It was a reaction against polluted industrial urban centres with their problems and the inability of far-flung rural regions to be serviced by 20th century mass production. It seemingly worked for awhile, until it stopped working so well.

As the nuclear family and suburban lifestyle of the 1950s becomes a distant dream or weird anomaly to outsiders, I wonder if we'll look back and wonder about how humans are meant to live. Are we meant to be nuclear families in isolated pods spread away from each other? Can that sort of living even be sustained in the long-term? The signs of fraying are apparent as elderly parents are left to their own devices in suburban homes they once raised kids in, alienated from their own families. Until they're shipped to another box of elderly people to wait out the finality of their days. We grow old and hard because we become alone; we've no connection to someone who is not us. Being young requires us to be around the young. To be needed. To have purpose.

You see this change in the suburbs of the GTA - multi-generational living is coming back. It's not old-stock Canadians who are leading this charge either; they're just not having kids. Maybe that's the hint that things are changing and what we had wasn't what we really wanted.

I wonder of the sterility of modern suburbia. How old suburban neighbourhoods die. Streets go quiet as the children go away. Schools are flattened for new subdivisions. Massive homes for tiny families. Utopia being complete isolation from other people.

I have no idea if this post even makes sense, but I'll throw it out there.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:22 AM

Thanks for your response, Dane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Citizen_Dane_ View Post
As a life-long Edmontonian, I’ll say it’s a city that doesn't photograph well — least of all in streetview — but it does have some places that work in-person. Oliver’s the big one I think. Looking at it, it’s this weird — and at times downright ugly —mix of pre-war Foursquares and ‘50s walkups, and contemporary towers, yet it’s actually a really nice community to walk through. It might not be the best urban neighbourhood in Canada — it could be denser, a little less run-down in spots, have more businesses inside the community and away from Jasper Avenue, etc. — yet it’s decent, and lively in its own way. But my opinion may be coloured as someone less-traveled.
Hell, even Jasper could use more businesses and amenities. I know it's improving with the new streetscape but what an abomination of a main street it is west of 109th. But the residential parts of Oliver? They're great. Strolling down 102 Ave or 100th Ave is quite pleasant, even if there's a lot of ugly to contend with. It do agree Edmonton doesn't photograph well, and it is better to see/experience in person.

Quote:
Having said all that though, I agree with everything you’ve said. Edmonton’s biggest weakness is its lack of urban cohesion. We have blocks or stretches of blocks that almost work, but nothing more (perhaps with the exception of Whyte). As ue mentioned, there’s places like 104th, a great urban street that just isn’t as lively as it ought to be, or places like 124th, which is nice enough but has plenty of gaps in it. What’s more pressing to me though is how we can have a stretch of historic buildings or smaller-scale storefronts that just give way to downright inhospitable stretches the next block over.
124th is quite disappointing. There's been efforts to turn it into an alternate Whyte for decades now and it still hasn't really taken off. Sure, there's more stuff happening than before, and some infill, but it's not as far along as you'd have expected given all the time. I'd argue Whyte Ave's transformation over the past 20 years has been more dramatic, and Whyte Ave 20 years ago was already plenty vibrant. It doesn't help that 124th (and 118th Ave) are exemplary of the ways that Edmonton have a random nice building or two and the rest of the block is just so unappealing to look at. 124th I feel is worse because it is much more incohesive, despite not running as long as 118th does.

Quote:
My mind’s always drawn to the 97th Street area. Along Jasper you have this great collection of Edwardian buildings — by Edmonton-standards it could really be something special — but twist your head forty-five degrees and you’re met with the hulking mass that is Canada Place. Or down 97th itself. Again, great pre-war buildings, but turn around in any direction and you’re met with the ass-end of the Provincial Law Courts, an old C.N.R. underpass, and the Brownlee Building.
When I brought up 97th Street earlier, I was mostly referring to the part in "Chinatown North", north of the tracks and all these abominations you mention. There, it is a pretty decent main street. Not as busy as you'd hope, but cohesive, even pretty, and with some of the best food in the city (and in nearby streets). South of the tracks, 97th is like the Berlin Wall, a strong buffer between the overscaled downtown and the gap-toothed Boyle Street.

97th Street north of the tracks (I know you know this, this is more for everybody else):

And south:

Quote:
Most of our ills can be explained away due to the history of Alberta’s booms and busts (as much of a cop-out as that may be). Prior to the Great War the city was blooming into something beautiful, and we developed a surprisingly dense downtown core for a city of our size. But then a real-estate bust came in 1913, then the Great War, then an exodus of 20,000 people, then the Great Depression, then the Second World War. Edmonton’s population stagnated and the number of major buildings erected between 1914 and 1939 could probably be counted on two hands. It’s not hyperbole to say the Edmonton of the early 1940s was a time-capsule.

Anyways, all this is to say that when oil was discovered in ‘47 there was a rush to modernize the entire city. Most looked at the forty-year-old core and decided it needed ‘updating’ and update it they did until the late ‘80s when the next major bust came around. In its wake it left dozens of demolished heritage buildings, undeveloped lots, monolithic towers, and nothing in between. Some thirty-plus years on we’re still dealing with its effects.

There has been progress in recent years, of course, but that mid-century clear-cutting of the downtown core will always plague us. It’s sad to me, but at this point the best downtown Edmonton could really hope to be in terms of a defined urban-form (and we’re talking decades of work out here) is something more akin to Yaletown in Vancouver. Maybe not in style, but in spirit. Something that’s been built from nothing, and while it’s something urban, decent to look at, and maintains a sliver of its past and character, is something that’s still overall pretty soulless and plain, if that makes any sense?

I’ll end my ramble here.
Thank you for illuminating this part of Edmonton's history in particular. It really gives a macro scale to the overarching trends of boom and bust in Edmonton's history. I think it's also important to note how sparse and gappy the pre-war urbanism in a lot of Canadian cities was until the 1950s. This was very noticeable in Alberta, where the Edwardian-era real estate bubble caused a frenzy of speculation, leading to closer in empty lots being too expensive for workers, so houses would be built further out, either within the city and just on cheaper land, or outside of it, where land was both cheaper and unregulated (water pipes are good but expensive!). It explains why, in Edmonton, an "old" neighbourhood will have some 1910s/1920s Four Square and the rest of the block a mix of 1940s homes, '60s bungalows, '80s-'90s front car garage abominations, and recent skinny home infill. It wasn't that the old stuff was torn down (though the recent infill is often teardowns of postwar bungalows) - the blocks were often just that empty before the postwar boom.

I won't embed the photograph because it's very high resolution, but this satellite image of the Alberta Ave and Parkdale area of north central Edmonton in 1924 shows this very clearly. Look closely at the blocks and you'll see often less than half the lots on a block are filled in -> https://cityarchives.edmonton.ca/upl...73_Frame45.jpg

In the 1910s speculative bubble, many new subdivisions were surveyed and roads laid only for them to sit empty for a generation until the population began growing again in the 1940s.

But, if you ignore the issues of modernist and post-modernist urban design, and look squarely at the architecture, there is some nice buildings from those eras, if you can appreciate their styles. The CN Tower, Coronation Pool, the Baker Clinic, Manulife Place, the "new" City Hall, etc. Something broke in Edmonton after the early 1990s that the city's still slowly recovering from the nadir of the late '90s/early '00s. The city threw good design out the window and when it started trying again, it didn't know up from down. So you get these projects where architects, developers, the city is clearly trying, but it's a swing and a miss. I don't get why, because it can't be for lack of boom now, as there's been plenty of money flowing into the city for the past 15 years (and it fared better than Calgary during the recession) and Edmonton does historically have the stronger arts community. It honestly perplexes me.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:33 AM

Quote:
As someone who has lived in Winnipeg and Edmonton and appreciates both cities, I think this thread is overselling Winnipeg's urbanism and underselling Edmonton's. There are parts of Edmonton with great urban character that I as a Winnipegger would die for. Conversely, Winnipeg has done little to develop its urban character in the last hundred years. So much of the quality urbanism dates back to the 1910s or earlier... some of it has aged well and is still healthy like downtown and the Exchange District, while some of it is basically a hollowed out cadaver at this point, like Selkirk Ave. and many of the old streetcar routes north of downtown.
Quote:

I could feel you rolling your eyes at me . Anyway, yes, there are issues with poverty in Winnipeg that do relate directly to Canada's history of colonization, racism, and classism. Winnipeg bears the brunt of a lot of that, more than probably any other city save Vancouver. Obviously none of that is good and it would be better if Winnipeg didn't have these glaring issues. However, the solution of the city has, time and time again, to sweep it under the rug, push these communities and their concern aside, and prioritize the interests of the business class. This happens elsewhere, obviously, but I think it is often overlooked in Winnipeg because it isn't an "expensive" city like Vancouver and Toronto are.

Winnipeg has a lot of potential. It could do some really obvious and straightforward improvements and blow Calgary out of the water again. It has something Calgary will never have - those pre-war bones. But that potential will only be reached if the city does not continue its history of displacement and marginalization and ignorance. The North End needs better quality housing, for example, but that shouldn't be in the shape of high end infill developments replacing dilapidated housing and pushing the poor out of the community. It should be improving the community and its access to services and basic needs without it spelling gentrification. It's unfortunate that the North End is the way it is - it shouldn't be so rundown - but it should be improved by enriching the lives of those who exist in the community as it is, not attracting middle and upper income transplants.

I am curious what parts of Edmonton's urban character you'd die for. Not being facetious either, I'm genuinely interested. To me, Winnipeg's urban fabric is just leaps and bounds ahead of Edmonton's that it isn't much of a conversation. All those old bones in Winnipeg really add up. Edmonton does have better urban policies, though - a focus on making a good public transit system, pushing densification, even things like the scramble crosswalks. Winnipeg's urban policies suck a lot more, but as biguc mentioned, those old bones sure are resilient. The city really should have a vibrant main street like Whyte, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

wikipedia
For what its worth, despite the 'Lord Selkirk' signage, that's North Main Street, not Selkirk Avenue.

Quote:
Looks a lot like Cleveland or something.
It looks much better now, due to some vibrant public art:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:53 AM

It looks much better now, due to some vibrant public art:

[/QUOTE]

Had I not known this was Winnipeg, I would have thought it's from some poor country in Latin America. It looks like ghetto, I am sorry.

124st in Edmonton has changed a lot in the past two years. It's a great place to grab a bite and spend some time. By 2026, LRT will be running from Downtown to the west, crossing 124st. That will add a lot more human traffic.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:00 AM

Quote:
I am curious what parts of Edmonton's urban character you'd die for. Not being facetious either, I'm genuinely interested. To me, Winnipeg's urban fabric is just leaps and bounds ahead of Edmonton's that it isn't much of a conversation. All those old bones in Winnipeg really add up. Edmonton does have better urban policies, though - a focus on making a good public transit system, pushing densification, even things like the scramble crosswalks. Winnipeg's urban policies suck a lot more, but as biguc mentioned, those old bones sure are resilient. The city really should have a vibrant main street like Whyte, though.
Some of the things that I love about Edmonton's urban character:

-Built out LRT system with underground stations downtown. My years in Edmonton were the only time I got around exclusively by transit and it was a pleasure given that home, work and school were all along the one LRT line that existed at the time. It took a while, but those stations have become magnets for development.

-Jasper Avenue has many similarities to Portage Avenue but it has a more human scale, not quite the mega-stroad that Portage is. And the types of buildings that line in offer an interesting variety of office and retail uses that make for a pleasant walk. I lived in Oliver and worked near 97 St and I always loved walking to work and just soaking up the city scene.

-Oliver - an underrated urban neighbourhood that isn't really an entertainment and shopping hub the way that many urban neighbourhoods are, but one that is extremely livable with loads of character. Every time I go back to Edmonton I am amazed at how much better it gets as gaps continue to get filled in with impressive developments. I don't leave town without doing a walk along the promenade overlooking the beautiful river valley.

-U of A Campus - As a U of A student, I really came to enjoy the campus which was so well integrated with the surrounding urban neighbourhoods. A much better approach than the University of Manitoba which is isolated on its own in south Winnipeg and doesn't provide a lift to the centre of the city.

-Whyte Avenue - I can't add much here that hasn't already been said. It is a wonderful, thriving and vibrant area that has a lot of its own unique historical character.

-124 St. - I agree with your comment that it hasn't quite lived up to its potential, but at the same time great cities are made up of loads of streets like these, which are the backbone of nice, interesting, functional neighbourhoods even if they aren't spectacular in their own right.

-Churchill Square - this type of central square is rare in Canada and Edmonton has a very good example of one. It only works because it's surrounded by so many people and buildings, but it is an excellent gathering point and almost a living room of sorts for the city.

-A generally ambitious approach to buildings. Edmonton has always built things like it meant it. I can come up with a ton of examples here but some of the more obvious ones include AGA, the Winspear, ICE District, pretty well every sports venue, LRT stations, hell, even WEM. Everything is built to be big and impressive and a component of a big, growing, thriving city. By contrast, this is generally rare in Winnipeg... CMHR might be one of the only examples of truly going big in recent years... everything else, even if it's nice, feels a little small and compromised in some way. I get that not everyone loves something like ICE District, I'm not quite 100% sold on it myself. But the developer went big and that is commendable.

Of course not everything in Edmonton is perfect, but I think it does a lot of things well. I don't know why it gets derided as some kind of place that is hopeless from an urbanism standpoint, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. Yes there is a lot of suburban sprawl in Edmonton... too much. But that doesn't take away from the things that Edmonton does a good job with.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuk View Post
Had I not known this was Winnipeg, I would have thought it's from some poor country in Latin America. It looks like ghetto, I am sorry.
It looks so barren. The DTES has its problems, but it actually looks way better than that Winnipeg street.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
It looks so barren. The DTES has its problems, but it actually looks way better than that Winnipeg street.
Main Street is a stroad that is a major commuting route to the northern suburbs, and that stretch of north Main has been down in the dumps for so long that there have been very few buildings along it built since WWII. So combine those two factors and it looks barren and ugly.

That strip gets more barren with every passing decade as a building burns down or gets demolished every couple of years, and you seldom see anything ever replacing the lost buildings. It is definitely not one of the prettier sides of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Winnipeg has a lot of potential. It could do some really obvious and straightforward improvements and blow Calgary out of the water again. It has something Calgary will never have - those pre-war bones.
I don't agree with you on this one.
For Winnipeg to become as vibrant as Calgary or at least as Edmonton, it needs more people, people living in downtown core and money invested in downtown infrastructure.
People don't move to cities because of pretty, old brick buildings. People move for jobs, good public transit, good public spaces and safe and clean environment.
On top of that, Calgary has a warmer climate.

Winnipeg has to start spending some money on its infrastructure, where it gets it is another story.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada