HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Nice evening at BMO last night. In the final minutes of the game and Toronto leading 17-10, Hamilton marches the ball down field for a touchdown. I utter 'now they need to miss the extra point'..... and they do. I'll take the win but WTH. Extremely low attendance was the other big story. Even with Hamilton visiting it was only 9,702.
Wow.... That's pretty sad. And then here in Winnipeg we have a sold out stadium. Over 33,000 people today at the game. I honestly do not understand the difference especially when you consider the population difference.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 2:32 PM

Lions beat up Redblacks good I think they will be the Bombers toughest opponent in the West this year.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 4:43 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
33k in Edmonton for a terrible second half, penalty and sack ridden game.

Don’t know what you mean by “terrible second half”, I rather enjoyed the second half of that game.

I don’t get how bad BLM can be and yet he still wins. Been doing it his whole career actually. Maier looks like the better QB IMO - but you can’t argue with the results I guess.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Nobody is talking about it yet but this Bombers defense gave up less than 10 points again today and for the season is only giving up 12.6 points a game and this is in the wide open CFL. They are approaching Chicago 85 Bears/ 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers steel curtain type defensive dominance right now.
I still don't get how the Argos managed to put up 30 points on the Bombers.

The game was pretty close at halftime but the second half was all Bombers, the Riders didn't even manage a single point.

I had an awesome time, the atmosphere at the Banjo Bowl is always just electric.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Wow.... That's pretty sad. And then here in Winnipeg we have a sold out stadium. Over 33,000 people today at the game. I honestly do not understand the difference especially when you consider the population difference.
Argos attendance always lags the rest of the league. There is also a Covid cap on attendance, and while that number wasn't close to being reached, I'm sure the whole pandemic situation has a dampening effect on people wanting to go out to public events like this. There is also the age old, tired, thing where they say "There's a million other things going on in Toronto to divide attention".

But it's not anything new. Their highest attendance in 2019 was a little over 16k, and they cracked 18k once in 2018. Once over 16k in 2017 when they won the Grey Cup. In fact, the only game the Argos have ever drawn over 20k to a regular season game in their new home was the very first game, when they drew 24k in 2016. They also drew 24k to the Eastern Final in 2017, the only playoff game they have hosted at BMO.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Don’t know what you mean by “terrible second half”, I rather enjoyed the second half of that game.

I don’t get how bad BLM can be and yet he still wins. Been doing it his whole career actually. Maier looks like the better QB IMO - but you can’t argue with the results I guess.
7 sacks and an interception and a forced fumble by the defence might have something to do with it? Bo looks to be on the downside of his career with the Stamps, will see how the balance of the season goes for Bo but what a step up by the Stamps defence this week, didn't see that coming.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 1:46 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I still don't get how the Argos managed to put up 30 points on the Bombers.

The game was pretty close at halftime but the second half was all Bombers, the Riders didn't even manage a single point.

I had an awesome time, the atmosphere at the Banjo Bowl is always just electric.
I don't get it either (the Toronto game.) They are the defense and team to beat this year and it doesn't even look close.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 3:21 PM

For those beating on the Argos for attendance at 9,702, the Jays who are the hottest team in the MLB pushing for the playoffs, playing against the best team in the division had 12,119.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
For those beating on the Argos for attendance at 9,702, the Jays who are the hottest team in the MLB pushing for the playoffs, playing against the best team in the division had 12,119.
Isn't their attendance capped too?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 6:43 PM

Outdoor venues in Ontario (including Rogers Centre) is allowed up to 15,000 max.

I'm not intending on starting a long discussion about the Argos attendance, we all know it's been a struggle. However, in comparison with their in-city competition and not the prairies, it's not all bad.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:33 PM

Bombers and Elks go at it tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how Edmonton fares with Trevor Harris out for 6 weeks. Usually you have to figure that with a raw rookie QB the Bombers have it in the bag, but sometimes these guys you've never heard of have a way of surprising you...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Bombers and Elks go at it tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how Edmonton fares with Trevor Harris out for 6 weeks. Usually you have to figure that with a raw rookie QB the Bombers have it in the bag, but sometimes these guys you've never heard of have a way of surprising you...
Ricky Ray says hello...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 3:28 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
I am a little worried about tomorrow.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 3:33 AM
Community Guy

Let's do this!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 3:03 PM

Bombers win again 37-22. due to vaccination rules and covid outbreak Elks had their lowest attendance since the 1960's last night. Collaros needs to be in the conversation now for league MOP.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Bombers win again 37-22. due to vaccination rules and covid outbreak Elks had their lowest attendance since the 1960's last night. Collaros needs to be in the conversation now for league MOP.
The way the Bombers started I thought it was going to be a total blowout but the Eskimos got it together. Bomber offense kind of fell asleep in the second half but luckily the defense bailed them out with two touchdowns.

The Bomber kicking game is obviously a real concern with Mourtada going 0/3 on FGs. I don't know much about the ins and outs of placekicking, but I am surprised at how hard it is to find a reliable kicker. I mean, every CIS and NCAA team has a kicker, and correct me if I'm wrong here but I can't imagine that kicking varies that wildly from college to the pros. It's not like you're a QB where when you get to the pros suddenly it gets way harder to read defences and deal with pass rushes, etc. You're a kicker, you stand there and hoof the ball regardless of whether it's a preseason game for Directional State University or the goddamn Super Bowl. So what's the issue here?!?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:33 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Argos attendance always lags the rest of the league. There is also a Covid cap on attendance, and while that number wasn't close to being reached, I'm sure the whole pandemic situation has a dampening effect on people wanting to go out to public events like this. There is also the age old, tired, thing where they say "There's a million other things going on in Toronto to divide attention".
People make a lot of excuses for Toronto but the reality is that Toronto is the worst football market on the continent by a country mile. Comparable cities have just as many entertainment options yet manage to support a whole slew of teams: LA, Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Minneapolis, etc.

If one looks at a city like Melbourne, 40% smaller than Toronto, they support no fewer than 10 football teams. All of them draw well. Melbourne has rugby, tennis, Formula One, basketball, soccer, etc. on top of that. Any way you look at it, support for football is pitiful. I've lived in Toronto for 20 years and half the people I run into aren't aware that Toronto has a football team. That says a lot right there.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:47 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Football is culturally foreign to a huge proportion of Toronto's population. I bet most the people on my street don't know what Toronto's football team is called, don't know Toronto has a football team, and/or have never watched a Canadian football game (pro, university, high school) before.... EVER.

Most of the rest view Canadian football as beneath them, an embarrassment played by hillbillies, and should be replaced by the NFL as soon as possible. Say 'Argonauts' or 'CFL' and they instantly start ridiculing it as a lame Canadian attempt to copy Americans. They have no clue that the sport comes from their own city and refuse to believe it if you tell them.

I used to play in a Toronto flag football league and perhaps 5% of the players in that league had seen a CFL game before. I threw a Grey Cup party the first year and only 20 players out of 120 showed up. Of those that did, about 18 of them were on their phones the whole time checking NFL scores. They literally looked puzzled by Canadian football and didn't understand the rules. It's sad, but that's the reality in Toronto. And if it couldn't get any worse, the Argonauts management insist that everything is fine.

I'll end on a positive note though. I managed to convert a good friend who grew up with football. His parents are American and his Dad played for Penn State. He knew nothing about Canadian football, the CFL, or its history, The first game I took him to was a flop. It was at Skydome and the atmosphere was terrible. He agreed to give it another go, this time at BMO, and he had a fantastic time. He said it was one of the best football games he'd ever been to. My other friend who attended (he follows NFL) said the same thing. They still don't go to regular season games but always says yes to a playoff game; especially if it's in Hamilton. The atmosphere at a Hamilton home game we attended really left a good impression. They were pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by isaidso; Sep 20, 2021 at 3:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:11 PM

A little Wednesday night football. Nice treat for us CFL fans

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 3:48 PM

Argonauts so far are what 3-3 on the season...2nd in the East division...I definitely do not believe in this team but who knows maybe they will prove me wrong but I doubt it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada