HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 7:44 PM

I have been thinking (hoping?) the same thing. I am looking forward to a presentation or announcement in June with the former Sens (Alfie + Phillips), John Ruddy, and maybe a few other rich dudes. Dreaming of a vision that integrates this site with the new arena on the other side of the road and maybe some other, more pedestrian-friendly, developments along Albert towards Booth. One can dream....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 12:54 AM

Definitely many within our little community who are most amped for this. Just sucks that we finally got something like this and its just in "development hell". This would be a great to start the domino effect for Lebreton if this was starting to be built around the same time of Adisoke. It would put more pressure on the NCC and the city to get the ball rolling.

Here's hoping they just want another bigger partner who they can sell a stake to. Just. build. it. lol.

I am not too fond of the idea of this being waited on because of Lebreton since that will be a beast on its own with many delays.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 11:21 AM

If your scroll back to page 1 you'll note that we have been living with renderings of these gleaming towers for more than 13 years already. What's another 13 ?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumple-stilts View Post
If your scroll back to page 1 you'll note that we have been living with renderings of these gleaming towers for more than 13 years already. What's another 13 ?
That was when it was a 24 story tower. Either way, it's been long enough and those were initial conceptualizations. This is now approved, all it takes is getting shovels into the ground. Why shouldn't Ottawa have this in a much shorter timeframe?

The market needs it, and it increases densification at a level we all want - especially for the future of our downtown in Lebreton.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 1:07 PM

They recently got an approval for “Permit to take water”.

https://ero.ontario.ca/index.php/notice/019-4766

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 1:14 PM

If anything you'd think they would want to move ahead and start building this tower now. With Lebreton parcels starting hopefully in the next few years, having this one start now and come online before would ensure a gradual addition of units to the market - vs. flooding it with 5 new towers all at once.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
If anything you'd think they would want to move ahead and start building this tower now. With Lebreton parcels starting hopefully in the next few years, having this one start now and come online before would ensure a gradual addition of units to the market - vs. flooding it with 5 new towers all at once.
Yup, exactly my point with the domino effect. Fully agree with ya. Makes way more sense to get this going because A. A plan is already completed and B. It's already approved.

Nothing left to do but just get the show on the road and start.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:18 PM

I'm spending my 4000th post on SSP right here for good luck. With all the good news rolling in this week, hopefully we will hear something about this one soon. One can dream, right?

Ps: sorry for all the near heart attacks seeing this thread surfacing in the middle of all the other good news

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I'm spending my 4000th post on SSP right here for good luck. With all the good news rolling in this week, hopefully we will hear something about this one soon. One can dream, right?

Ps: sorry for all the near heart attacks seeing this thread surfacing in the middle of all the other good news
I was hoping we had some good news with everything else haha. Damn it, foiled again!

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:17 PM

Lebreton arena parcel anouncement is next month, maybe they'll break ground on this the same day

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 6:26 PM
inner city

Honestly, I'd rather have this site sit empty another 10 years than have a 35+ storey version of Rideau + Chapel.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Honestly, I'd rather have this site sit empty another 10 years than have a 35+ storey version of Rideau + Chapel.
We're losing a 65 storey and 56 storey building. They are groundbreaking sized buildings. I'd rather they get started on it because we saw the plan, we all liked it. All they need to do is work as close as they could to their renderings and just start. It's already approved. Why wait 10 years?

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:33 PM

After seeing Lansdowne 2.0 pop up (accidentally?) on Trinity's website soon after Trinity Centre disappeared, I am assuming they are focusing all of their resources on that project, which is reliant on partners, special funding and timelines. This one can sit in limbo indefinitely as it's mostly rental apartments and it's just Trinity involved.

I don't believe Trinity OR Ottawa's construction industry could handle two projects of this magnitude at one time, the resources of both are definitely finite.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 5:04 AM

Quote:
After seeing Lansdowne 2.0 pop up (accidentally?) on Trinity's website soon after Trinity Centre disappeared, I am assuming they are focusing all of their resources on that project, which is reliant on partners, special funding and timelines. This one can sit in limbo indefinitely as it's mostly rental apartments and it's just Trinity involved.

I don't believe Trinity OR Ottawa's construction industry could handle two projects of this magnitude at one time, the resources of both are definitely finite.
Tried looking for this, where does it show Lansdowne 2.0? If that is the case, it would probably be better if they just sold the approved development and let someone who can actually break ground with it and commit to high quality materials go for it.

But, what can we do - it's their lot lol.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:

It's not just Trinity involved in this one though, InterRent REIT took on a certain percentage of the project, i think either 40% or around there.

They've also signed retail agreements, for the podium which i'm sure those agreements have stipulations on timeline etc.. So they can't really sit or hold on this one forever.

a project this size or the size of Lansdowne 2.0 doesn't rely on local construction industry either, i'm sure they would look to someone along the lines of PCL, ElisDonn etc... to come in with their crews to work on the bulk of these projects.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:10 PM

Quote:

I thought they sold 50% of the project to another developer.

Yes, InterRent and PBC Group have a stake, but can't find a %.

https://renx.ca/trinity-begins-build...ment-pipeline/

EDIT: just noticed spotlight had already pointed that out.

Last edited by J.OT13; May 19, 2022 at 1:36 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
Tried looking for this, where does it show Lansdowne 2.0? If that is the case, it would probably be better if they just sold the approved development and let someone who can actually break ground with it and commit to high quality materials go for it.

But, what can we do - it's their lot lol.
It appeared and promptly disappeared from their site days before the official announcement

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
It's not just Trinity involved in this one though, InterRent REIT took on a certain percentage of the project, i think either 40% or around there.

They've also signed retail agreements, for the podium which i'm sure those agreements have stipulations on timeline etc.. So they can't really sit or hold on this one forever.

a project this size or the size of Lansdowne 2.0 doesn't rely on local construction industry either, i'm sure they would look to someone along the lines of PCL, ElisDonn etc... to come in with their crews to work on the bulk of these projects.
Silly me, i completely forgot that they partnered up on this one. One would think the project is still alive if a large percentage was bought right before it disappeared from Trinity's website, right?

Good luck getting the big hitters to bring in their crews on these projects while Toronto and Montreal are booming at the same time. I work in the construction industry and people on my team are saying Ottawa is completely maxed out right now, we can't get tradespeople in from either of the big cities because they are all occupied.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 2:01 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
We're losing a 65 storey and 56 storey building.
Yes, that is in the title of the thread, and several posts. Are you aware of proposals - especially ones that take a long time to construct - being downsized & modified substantially after they are approved?

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Yes, that is in the title of the thread, and several posts. Are you aware of proposals - especially ones that take a long time to construct - being downsized & modified substantially after they are approved?
Lol save your facetious response, the longer this sits in development hell - the more likely it doesn't happen the way we all want it to. Look at The Sky towers, wonder where those went because they were approved almost 10 years ago with nothing to show for it.

Demand is high right now - making the statement that we should wait another 10 years to get what these planned for is ludicrous in itself. Lebreton should be well on it's way to starting by that point, and based on what Harley said, I doubt Trinity will dedicate itself to both - so the longer they keep the development in their hands means they are more likely to downsize it.

Like I said, it is better off they sell it the remaining 50% to another developer ready to start building it now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa