HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 1:23 AM

Manheim Twp. commissioners approve 96 apartments at former Lancaster Malleable site

https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...84ca44154.html

Quote:
Manheim Township’s board of commissioners unanimously approved a 96-apartment development plan at 1036 Manheim Pike. The property sits just west of where Manheim and Fruitville pikes merge into North Prince Street, north of the Lancaster city boundary line.

The project from Lancaster-based real estate group Deerin Co. is part of a remaking of vacant or underutilized land near the train station, where heavy industry and one of the nation’s major stockyards prevailed decades ago.

The developer group plans to build four three-story apartment buildings and a community space with a pool at the 4.6-acre site...
Site:

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 1:28 AM

Here are the new architectural renderings for three Lancaster city housing developmen

https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...24a4ed93c.html

St. Joseph Hospital site
Quote:
Baltimore-based Washington Place Equities revealed renderings of its $90 million plan for the former hospital site this week, including brand new townhomes on the east end of the campus. The submission was preliminary and did not trigger a vote from the Historical Commission.

The developer group is overseeing the market-rate portion of the redevelopment project that includes 210 new housing units. Lancaster-based HDC MidAtlantic is planning as many as four different income-restricted residential buildings at the site in as many phases.

The plan from Washington Place to build about 50 townhomes on what was the hospital’s parking lot and retrofit about 160 apartments into the main hospital building, has not changed. But it revealed new details and renderings of the plan for the first time.

Stockyard Inn apartments
Quote:
Lancaster-based developer Ben Lesher returned to the Historical Commission for the third time, after members told him in February his designs at the time for the five-story “The Yards” apartments over-corrected their previous comments to tone done previous designs of the building.

This time, the plan won recommendation to city council, which has the final say on the designs for the $48 million proposal at the 4.6-acre site. The plan currently calls for 216 new apartments between two five-story buildings and 12,000 square feet of commercial space.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 12:55 AM

A few photos of the Harrisburg University Tower from last week (03/28/2022). Taken by me on my phone. It's coming along nicely.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 2:28 AM

Construction begins for Camp Curtin YMCA’s affordable housing project

https://theburgnews.com/news/constru...ousing-project

Quote:
In October 2021, the Camp Curtin branch of the Y ceremoniously broke ground on its “Harrisburg Cornerstone Initiative,” which aims to eliminate vacant lots and provide homeownership opportunities to low-income families in the Uptown area.

The once empty lot at Woodbine and Jefferson streets, near the Camp Curtin Y, is the location of the $1.2 million first phase of the initiative. The Y is constructing four affordable single-family homes, each including three bedrooms, two-and-a-half bathrooms and an off-street parking space.

The four homes each are listed for $150,000.

According to Harvey, there is already a waiting list of about 30 applicants for these four homes. They plan to select the buyers based on a lottery system.

Awesome to see!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 2:30 AM

Road milling begins on 2nd Street, as the two-way conversion project proceeds

https://theburgnews.com/news/road-mi...oject-proceeds

Quote:
Harrisburg is driving forward with a long-awaited project to transform N. 2nd Street from one-way to two-way traffic.

On Monday, construction workers and equipment took over a stretch of the street as they began milling the road—a major next step in the multi-year initiative.

The city ceremoniously broke ground on the two-way conversion project in May 2021, with the goal of making N. 2nd Street safer and more walkable. Since then, contractors have constructed many ADA-accessible ramps at intersections along the street to comply with PennDOT’s construction guidelines.

In addition to converting the street to two-way traffic, the plan calls for the construction of several roundabouts at intersections along the corridor and added pedestrian and bike-friendly elements.

The N. 2nd Street project is part of Harrisburg’s Vision Zero initiative to eliminate traffic fatalities and injuries by 2030.

I was wondering when this was going to start. I'm eager to see how this turns out!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 2:04 AM

Harrisburg breaks ground on Chutes and Ladders playground in Reservoir Park

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrisb...reservoir-park

Quote:
Harrisburg is finally putting shovel to dirt on a construction project to make Reservoir Park more enjoyable for residents.

On Monday, city officials broke ground on the Chutes and Ladders playground, which will replace outdated and underused equipment in the Allison Hill park.

First, the city will replace existing playground equipment with new attractions. The playground will be based off of the popular board game, “Chutes and Ladders,” and will allow visitors to engage in a life-sized version. The city expects to complete the playground by August.

In a subsequent phase of construction, the city will create additional parking, add a “tot lot” playground for younger children, plant trees and increase walkways in the park.

Cool to see!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:22 PM

What to do, eat, and see in Lancaster
Link:
https://www.inquirer.com/philly-tips...-20211020.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:44 PM

What to do, eat, and see in Hershey
Link:
https://www.inquirer.com/philly-tips...ngs-to-do.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:29 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
https://theburgnews.com/news/road-mi...oject-proceeds

I was wondering when this was going to start. I'm eager to see how this turns out!
Can't wait. Hoping it will tame traffic by my house. I live on 600 Block of 2nd. If traffic volumes decrease, maybe we can convince the city to make the rest of 2nd Street 2 Way. I think it would significantly improve street life.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 1:05 AM

Lancaster could see its first-ever 'air rights' housing development above North Queen

https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...15757e963.html

Quote:
A 10-year-old downtown Lancaster garage could draw a new type of development most likely never seen before in the county – out of thin air.

Through a public records request, LNP | LancasterOnline obtained a purchase agreement from the South Central Transit Authority to sell the “air rights” for the space over the Red Rose Transit Authority’s Queen Street Station Parking Garage at North Queen and East Chestnut streets.

Lancaster-based developer Eberly Myers LLC agreed to purchase the air rights for $790,000, with final approval still needed from the Federal Transit Administration and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

Eberly Myers wants to build a four- to six-story apartment building on top of the parking garage that would include 70 to 90 studio and one-bedroom apartments, according to Benjamin Myers, a partner at the developer group

The developer has been discussing the apartment building concept with SCTA officials for about a year, according to Myers. He said the goal would be to rent the units at about $1,100 to $1,600 per month.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 2:34 PM
Me?!?

Harrisburg halts State Street project over parking concerns

The most recent plan, finalized in September of 2020, would involve having a third lane of travel on alternating sides open during rush hours, and used for parking during off-peak hours.

From 7 to 9 a.m., parking would be forbidden on the westbound side of the street, with a second westbound lane open as commuters drove into downtown Harrisburg. Likewise, from 4 to 6 p.m., parking would be forbidden on the eastbound side of the street to create a second eastbound lane as commuters left the city.

This setup seems to have caused much of the pushback from local residents.

“Expecting people to get up at 6:30 in the morning and find a place to move their cars for a two-hour period while people come down State Street, that’s not reasonable,” said Evelyn Hunt, who has lived in the neighborhood for 60 years and frequently voiced her concerns at public meetings.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/0...-concerns.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:07 AM

The Bridge receives $4 mil state grant to spur renovation of former Bishop McDevitt

https://theburgnews.com/news/the-bri...evitt-building

Quote:
A proposal to renovate and repurpose the former Bishop McDevitt High School has new energy, as the state has announced a $4 million grant for the project.

On Friday, Gov. Tom Wolf announced grants through the state’s Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP), including funds for The Bridge Ecovillage project at 2200 Market St. in Harrisburg.

According to the state, the grant would help fund the renovation of the first floor of the former high school into a facility called the JEDI (justice, quality, diversity and inclusion) Innovation Center.

Once completed, the center will include a community concert/lecture hall, library, co-working space, rooftop garden, community kitchen, fresh foods cafe and a full-service medical clinic, according to a release from state Rep. Patty Kim (D-103).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:10 AM

Numerous Harrisburg-area projects to receive significant state funding

https://theburgnews.com/news/numerou...ants-announced

Quote:
Numerous Harrisburg-area projects are slated to receive state funds as the commonwealth has announced its latest phase of redevelopment grants.

The Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) grants announced on Friday complete the state’s 2021 funding round, which was awarded in two tranches—the first in December and the second on Friday.

Many Harrisburg projects denied money last year in the first tranche received funds in the second. These include:

The Dauphin County Library System for renovation of the Haldeman Haly House and expansion of the McCormick Riverfront Library downtown ($1 million)
Harrisburg Events Center for the continued renovation of the historic King Mansion ($500,000)
Harrisburg Scottish Rite Cathedral for renovations and theater preservation ($1.02 million)
400 Reily Street Management for a new apartment building and parking garage at 400 Reily St. ($2 million)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:17 AM

Modern building with restaurant, art space to replace blighted Midtown properties

https://theburgnews.com/news/modern-...own-properties

Quote:
Two blighted buildings in Midtown met their fate on Thursday, as crews razed them in preparation for new development.

In their place, at 1414 and 1416 N. 3rd St., developers have plans to construct a three-story, multi-use building with art space and a restaurant.

The plan calls for a 9,000-square-foot building, featuring a façade of dark brick, large windows and metal mesh screens. According to Nitzan, the first floor would likely feature a restaurant. The second floor would be an art studio, exhibit and workspace, extending through all three of the owners’ buildings, once connected. The third floor would house office space. The plans also call for a rooftop deck and bar.

Great to see some more development actually starting on 3rd St in Midtown! This is what was here before, so no loss at all: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2711...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 12:32 AM

Some construction to resume on State Street as Hburg begins to draft project redesign

https://theburgnews.com/news/some-co...oject-redesign

Quote:
Construction along State Street in Harrisburg is slated to resume on Monday, focused mostly on completing unfinished sidewalk ramps.

Late on Thursday, Matt Maisel, the city’s communications director, issued a statement saying that the halted project would re-start next week in a limited scope.

This work includes finishing construction of the ADA-compliant sidewalk ramps at intersections. Work also will begin on drainage enhancements and traffic signal pole installations, according to Maisel.

All work on the State Street Rapid Response project stopped last week after the city issued a cease-and-desist order. In its original configuration, the project would have reduced lanes on the state-owned road from five to three, would have created a median refuge area for pedestrians, and would have added protected bike lanes.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 12:34 AM

Federal funds announced for infrastructure work in Harrisburg Transportation Center

https://theburgnews.com/news/federal...rtation-center

Quote:
Harrisburg’s train and bus station is set for a major infrastructure improvement, thanks to federal funding announced on Friday.

At the Harrisburg Transportation Center, U.S. Sen. Bob Casey announced that the station would receive $634,525 for a new heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC) system. Much of the existing system, including the cooling tower, pumps and chiller system, were installed over two decades ago and need to be replaced, according to the city.

Amtrak owns the 135-year-old station, but the Harrisburg Redevelopment Authority (HRA) has operated it under a master lease since 1983.

According to Executive Director Bryan Davis, HRA reached out to Casey’s office about the need to replace the HVAC system. Congress then appropriated funds for the project through its most recent federal budget, enacted in March.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:30 AM

I've been busy these past couple of weeks but still was able to snap a few photos.

First two are from 04/30/2022 of the Atlas building at 6th & Maclay. I took these with Baldy1 in mind since he asked about this building a couple months ago. The entire building looks gutted but seems to be slow progress besides that.

Last two photos are from 05/08/2022 of the Harrisburg University tower. Taken from Market & 2nd. This one has grown on me since they have more of the façade complete. Looks pretty good and meshes with other buildings well.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 11:34 AM

Thank you SouthCentralPA great job as usual. I guess that Atlas building was a monumental task gutting that building out that sat vacant for so many years,its going to be a great anchor for that part of town when it's finished. Thanks again for your time and effort.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy1 View Post
Thank you SouthCentralPA great job as usual. I guess that Atlas building was a monumental task gutting that building out that sat vacant for so many years,its going to be a great anchor for that part of town when it's finished. Thanks again for your time and effort.
I agree, I bet it was a lot of work gutting that building. There is a fair amount of material in the parking lot to the North of the building and 3 lifts you can see in my second photo, so I'm hopeful that work will move a bit faster now!

I'll try and post some more regular updates of the Atlas if I can.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 2:21 AM

I believe the owner of the Atlas building was rewarded a few million dollars of grant money from the state, so with that happening i would think construction should start amping up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations