HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:00 PM

The Worst City To Call Home In Every U.S State

Take it for what it's worth, as it's a MSN article that I happened onto just now as I logged out of my hotmail. I just thought that it could make some interesting discussion s'all. Don't shoot the messenger, and if you can stomach it, it's one of those darn slide shows that take awhile to load up between slides.

https://moneywise.com/a/ch-c/worst-c...xnfrr0ncac=636

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

They went with the obvious for Illinois: East St. Louis

Kinda surprised they went with East Chicago for Indiana instead of Gary. although both are rather forlorn heavy industry towns set amidst the steel mills and refineries of NW Indiana.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 18, 2021 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:24 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
They went with the obvious for Illinois: East St. Louis

Kinda surprised they went with East Chicago for Indiana instead of Gary. although both are rather forlorn heavy industry towns set amidst the steel mils and refineries of NW Indiana.
I'm actually surprised they didn't pick Cairo. At least East St. Louis is a very short train ride away from downtown STL.

They nailed Nevada. Pahrump is hell.

A lot of the choices are very questionable though. Knoxville, Manchester, Wilmington, Knoxville? No...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:25 PM
你的媽媽

I've never heard of Muscoy before.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I'm actually surprised they didn't pick Cairo.
oh yeah.

they probably forgot it even still sorta exists.

just like most people.

recent Cairo, IL news: it's the county seat for Alexander County, which had the distinction of losing a greater percentage of population last decade than any other county in the nation, from 8,238 in 2010 down to 5,240 in 2020 (-36.4%). Cairo itself lost -38.8% of its ever-dwindling population, dropping from 2,831 in 2010 down to 1,733 in 2020.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:31 PM

Well when I'm feeble and retired and done summering in wonderful Thompson Manitoba, I'll be wintering in beautiful New Kingman-Butler Arizona..Any bets on which place I'll become a statistic in?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Manchester NH? It's has some issues but unlike other towns in the state, it is the closest to big city as it gets in NH with 'big city' problems but worst city is a bit of a stretch.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 8:51 PM
Burming Hammer

i think i've heard of fewer than 10 of these.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:12 AM

I'm surprised they picked Wilmington for Delaware. There are poor places in Wilmington, but aren't there poor neighborhoods in every city? There are contiguous poor neighborhoods the size of Wilmington in other cities.

I figured it would be something like Dover, which is seeing gang violence like cities, and has a lot of poor areas, but doesn't have a wealthier area like Wilmington does. There are duPont family houses in Wilmington.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:22 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
I used to live in Worcester, Mass, and I've seen far worse in Massachusetts than Southbridge Town. Sure the Worcester area isnt doing well, but its not Fall River.

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:01 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
They were really reaching when they picked "Parker" for South Carolina. Parker isn't even a town -- It's an unincorporated glom of about four different old mill villages whose mills have either been renovated or were torn down decades ago and the sites redeveloped. The renovated or redeveloped mills are mostly yuppies, the mill villages are mostly Latinos. I can think of at least five places in South Carolina that are much worse including Gaffney, a town that seems to somehow ooze when you're there. There's just something palpably nasty about it. And yet they chose a gentrifying clot of mill villages?
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
They were really reaching when they picked "Parker" for South Carolina. Parker isn't even a town -- It's an unincorporated glom of about four different old mill villages whose mills have either been renovated or were torn down decades ago and the sites redeveloped. The renovated or redeveloped mills are mostly yuppies, the mill villages are mostly Latinos. I can think of at least five places in South Carolina that are much worse including Gaffney, a town that seems to somehow ooze when you're there. There's just something palpably nasty about it. And yet they chose a gentrifying clot of mill villages?
Location, location, location.
- Listicles, listicles, listicles.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:27 AM

Yeah, Wilmington for Delaware is not a good choice. Something like Dover would’ve been better. Wilmington has rough areas, sure, just like every city. However, Wilmington also has some lovely neighborhoods, some nice attractions including a zoo, several museums and more, at least two DuPont mansions you can tour, a nice waterfront, and a nice Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:53 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Location, location, location.
- Listicles, listicles, listicles.
And the location, location, location is good, good, good. It's also largely Latino, Latino, Latino, and they have really good food, food, food. Plus, the historic mills are really cool, cool, cool.

Consider the following:

The renovated Brandon Mill, reborn as apartments.

The renovated Monaghan Mill, reborn as apartments.

The renovated Woodside Mill, reborn as apartments.

Hampton Station, a shopping complex in a renovated warehouse.

The Riverside Apartments on a redeveloped industrial site. (They kept the old water tower though.)

This is not hell on earth here. It is not, just to mention again, Gaffney. South Carolina is full of little garbage towns that are objectively worse than "Parker." However, I am aware that it is a listicle, which exists solely for clicks, clicks, clicks.

I will say though, that I enjoyed all the browser-seizing popup ads. Really brought back memories from the old days of the Internet.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Oct 19, 2021 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:01 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

This list is the definition of punching down . The author probably lives in the woodlands or some other ‘top rated community’ that’s just cheap and ugly

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 1:42 PM

I kinda think bots make these lists.

Everything from the errors to the often completely random photos which supposedly represent the place makes me believe this to be true.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:21 PM

I agree this list is stupid, but I got a chuckle out of Middletown being listed as Ohio's shittiest place to live. I can think of way worse places in the state (sadly), but seeing how that shit stain of a person JD Vance (Hillbilly Elegy author and current US Senate candidate) is from there, I think it deserves the title lol.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I kinda think bots make these lists.

Everything from the errors to the often completely random photos which supposedly represent the place makes me believe this to be true.
It was probably written by an intern to help them learn how to publish things on the job.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:29 PM

It was probably written by Kim Jong- Un's propaganda minister, and shown to North Korean school children.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 9:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Well when I'm feeble and retired and done summering in wonderful Thompson Manitoba, I'll be wintering in beautiful New Kingman-Butler Arizona..Any bets on which place I'll become a statistic in?
Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions