HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:52 AM
Ham-burgher

Goldring wants Waterdown

Burlington mayor Rick Goldring floats a local doozie, apparently without his own council's discussion and a heads up to #HamOnt. He's been a fairly steady hand as mayor the last two terms, but definitely feeling some heat over development issues in the upcoming election.

A huge risk in putting this out there, and I'm not sure how it could happen in a balanced way and keep everybody happy... but in this political climate, the chances he'd get his wish may be well above zero.

For Waterdown folk, the grass may seem greener but in the longer run the lawn is likely to dry up as Burlington begins to face the same infrastructure and municipal tax challenges other places have.

Make Waterdown part of Burlington, mayor tells province (CBC)

Burlington asks to take over Waterdown (The Spec)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:12 AM
It's Hammer Time

As long we can trade for Aldershot.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:20 AM

agreed, take Aldershot or all of Burlington, Oakville can fold into Mississauga

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:33 AM
Burger Connoisseur

He can F right off... why don't we just take Burlington it wouldn't be that much of a stretch when you think of the benefits of our combined land, population and tax base!

But for them to just take Waterdown if we don't get something significant in return absolutely not!!!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:06 PM

If that mayor made that crack at me, I'd be at his front door with a foot to his testicles.

But that's just me dealing with conservative politicians like him, whom I view as social terrorists.

=P

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
If that mayor made that crack at me, I'd be at his front door with a foot to his testicles.

But that's just me dealing with conservative politicians like him, whom I view as social terrorists.

=P
So. Rick Goldring ran for the Green Party. He is the furthest thing from a conservative I can think of. Marianne Meed Ward is a liberal as well. Burlington's ultra conservative politics is led by left wing types.

The reason he brought this up is because Burlington is a suburb, which is 95% of it's land mass. As a result, since it has hit its built boundary, it will need to build up, and literally nobody in Burlington wants that apparently. This is his only option without blatantly lying. Marianne says she will stop the growth somehow, and Goldring understands that the tax base of suburban homes is weak.

Regardless, I am not a fan of Burlington politics.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
So. Rick Goldring ran for the Green Party. He is the furthest thing from a conservative I can think of. Marianne Meed Ward is a liberal as well. Burlington's ultra conservative politics is led by left wing types.

The reason he brought this up is because Burlington is a suburb, which is 95% of it's land mass. As a result, since it has hit its built boundary, it will need to build up, and literally nobody in Burlington wants that apparently. This is his only option without blatantly lying. Marianne says she will stop the growth somehow, and Goldring understands that the tax base of suburban homes is weak.

Regardless, I am not a fan of Burlington politics.
Oh.

S**t.

Me stoopid.

@.@

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:49 AM

Goldring should really keep his mouth closed. All this talk of annexation, and how long before someone at Queens Park realizes, "Hey, we amalgamated Toronto and Hamilton, but we never really got around to Halton or Peel in between?" Then the space for growth would be up in Milton and Halton Hills. If he's not careful, the mayor's posturing could lead to the end of an independent Burlington altogether.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:37 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Are the flood gates opening now? Cambridge wants Flamborough now?

Quote:
Flamborough should leave Hamilton join forces with Cambridge — that's what one Cambridge city councillor wants to see happen.

Nicholas Ermeta is a Cambridge councillor seeking re-election in Ward 8. He says he's "extending an open invitation" to Flamborough to join Cambridge.

In December, the Ontario Municipal Board decided to eliminate Ward 14 in Hamilton. The reconfiguration splits the former ward in two.

Ermetta revealed his plan one day after the mayor of Burlington suggested the province should make Waterdown part of his city rather than Hamilton.
Make Waterdown part of Burlington, mayor tells province
"Flamborough is going to lose their rural voice and they're going to be carved up and joined up with other urban wards," he said.

"I believe that Flamborough has much more in common with Cambridge culturally than it does the City of Hamilton, and I also believe the City of Cambridge could gain some things as well — that it could be a match made in heaven."
CBC Link

SCREW THIS!!! Whoever our next city council is better act fast and decisively to get ahead of all of this to prevent any parts of Hamilton from being taken away!

Again if anything Burlington should become a part of Hamilton if you really wanna open this can of worms! Be careful what you wish for! As for Cambridge they too are on the verge of losing their independence along with Waterloo and should just get absorbed into the city of Kitchener.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:59 PM

The city has spent hundreds of millions on infrastructure improvements in Waterdown since amalgamation.

They want Waterdown? Ok cut us a $500M cheque or swap for aldershot.

His proposal is idiotic and short sighted.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
The city has spent hundreds of millions on infrastructure improvements in Waterdown since amalgamation.

They want Waterdown? Ok cut us a $500M cheque or swap for aldershot.

His proposal is idiotic and short sighted.
Wait, don't you mean that Waterdown has been paying way more in property taxes despite getting zero services?!?

(Being sarcastic btw)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Wait, don't you mean that Waterdown has been paying way more in property taxes despite getting zero services?!?

(Being sarcastic btw)
That's exactly what's being said.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:53 PM

Everyone must be thinking that Ford is going to open up the greenbelt quick.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
Everyone must be thinking that Ford is going to open up the greenbelt quick.
I don't think Goldring would ask for Waterdown if that is the case. Burlington is almost 50% rural farmland area. If they are opening the Greenbelt then Burlington would be golden on continuing suburban sprawl for another decade.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy