HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 10:14 PM

Ontario Solar Power Fit Grant Program

So I'm signing up for this solar system as my residential roof seems to be the perfect candidate for this!

See link for details:
http://fit.powerauthority.on.ca/

So far so good, but the installer is going to have the official word tomorrow. I'll keep you guys in the loop. I feel like a guinea-pig - lucky you!

Has anyone had this performed yet?

What was your experience like so far?

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:05 PM

So to proceed with this program you need to pursue a sublet company for installation. My choice, by fluke was Canadian Solar Direct. Today I met with Terry, a consultant who walked me through this. Canadian Solar Direct will install, warranty, wash and maintain the panels for 20 years. There are many sublet independant installers seeking to benefit off this grant by Ontario Power Authority.

The agreement:

Upfront cost of $99.00 which is the only payment I have been promissed I would have to pay.

With this, they will install panels on my approved roof (south facing / good candidate) and that should be it. They will pay down the unit with the money collected by energy put back into the grid.

Lets see how it goes... They are at the paperwork stage of filing me into Horizon Utilities, all of which they do on my behalf. After that, it may take about a month I have been told, but they will begin a set up on my roof.

Stay tuned...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:55 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

This is really interesting... I've been thinking about this for a while now, but have no idea where to start/what the process is.

Thanks a lot for posting the play-by-plays! Keep it up.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:39 PM

The rate of what Ontario Power Auth pays has changed this year. I am making sure this is a contract for a fixed twenty year period at a still worthwhile rate offered currently. All seems legit so far.

In the absolute worst case where all shit hits the fan, I will buy it by incorporating it into my mortgage and sell hydro back to the provice while not paying any hydro utilities. That means it should pay itself off in a projected seven years. My past work place did this without issues, the grant works a little differently with commercial applications however with more cost to a corp.

Ontario Power Auth pays your utility company, your utility company pays your independant solar dealer who your lease is arranged with and pays down your system while (Canadian Solar Direct's incentive) gives you a little off the top twice annually. The independant solar dealer is what I'm keeping my eye on. He is making a good 10.6% financing rate on this, but the incentive is still there because there is no upfront cost to you and is 'found money' for a few hundered bucks twice annually. Also you're being green, it saves my shingles, reflects heat away from my attic in the summer and likely improves the value of my home.

I still think I'm winning. Anyone thinking differently? Tell me!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:04 PM

What I have learned so far is, there is that old saying... If Canadian Solar Direct or any other contractor who wants to install this can make money, you can too! So buying it entirely yourself through the bank is an option, but this company want to maintain it.... I'll probably go this way then buy it out early as that is still an option later....

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:05 PM

Just called the rep at Horizon Utilities, a guy named Vito - super helpful! He said 163 homes in Hamilton have already done this!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 9:12 PM
Hammer'd

Sounds like a good program. If I owned my own home I'd probably be down with it
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:28 PM

Update:
So far a week has passed since signing up. The paperwork was said to take a long time to process. The Canadian Solar contractor will do it all on my behalf. They will contact my local Horizon Utilities and set up an account for which they will know to recieve power from the panels and start to monitor it. Also apply for the grant which Ontario Power Authority has offered. I expect another two weeks before things get going...

Currently:

After it should look something like this:

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Sep 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 3:23 PM

Good luck

Hey, this seems to be of great investment for you. I see you have somebody doing the job for you, but still if you have any questions ask them from me. I'm an engineer working in the solar industry in Ontario. You can contact me here or through my blog: www.solaredon.wordpress.com

I hope I can be of help when needed.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 9:43 PM

Looks like they might pause the program for another rate retool.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/arti...l-rules-report

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 8:41 PM

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Looks like they might pause the program for another rate retool.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/arti...l-rules-report
I called in today and the government still needs to approve my submission for the grant. This usually is a timely process and I have about 'another month or so' to go. I hope I fit in in time to catch the current rates as it is contractual, so I'm locked-in for a twenty year term. I'll hurry up and wait lol.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 9:03 PM

Any updates on your solar project, Pearlstreet?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymoly View Post
Any updates on your solar project, Pearlstreet?
The installer does all the running around with paper work as is their deal. I haven't heard much as it takes a long month or two, to allow Horizon Utilities to process you as a solar customer. Also a wait after this to further process the government acceptance of it. I called today and all is accepted so I am ready to roll! They are looking to set up an install date once weather improves.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 7:41 PM

I had a discussion with an engineer friend who plays a significant role in assisting the government in price point setting for amounts paid per kwh generated. He warned me of numerous scams after a several year lease is signed, then company goes bankrupt as by this point they have your grant money. Laws are being formed to combat this, but this is as new as the laws are. I calculated a worst case scenario; to remortgage and include the cost of this into my payments. It's payout was worth more to invest elsewhere in my circumstance (roof size / generating amount). This is my circumstance and may be different for others. I suggest calculating the worst case scenario (if they did go bankrupt on you) and see if it is still a wise investment.

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Apr 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 1:28 PM

Dunnville homeowner does a slow burn over solar shortcomings (Hamilton Spectator, Al MacRury, Apr 30 2013)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy