HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 3:23 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I like JS the best. I like the valance lighting and proportions of the halls/ceiling. The lighting is indirect, non-glaring ambient without being too dark or so bright you need sunglasses. It's always felt warm/cosy to me vs the cavernous, super bright malls like LR etc.

and i like the maze of halls, i remember years ago always having difficulty navigating it. It's not so mazy now the closure of the west side.

Does anyone remember that Italian rest, it was just about where the wall enclosure begins, beside the furniture store. It would've been behind the wall now. It was cool, had a large seating area that was partially enclosed in floor to ceiling glass?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Does anyone remember that Italian rest, it was just about where the wall enclosure begins, beside the furniture store. It would've been behind the wall now. It was cool, had a large seating area that was partially enclosed in floor to ceiling glass?
Sbarro

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 6:09 PM

Quote:
yah i remember going there often with my family when i was kid.. good times.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
During a wonder today, I found out that a "Sushi on the Go" vendor is going in where the new seating area at Jackson is. There's a construction notice posted on one of the doors. It lists Tran Dieu (guy who restored Victoria Hall/Mackay) as having something to do with it. This guy seems to be throwing around a fair bit of cash downtown.
I can't find this.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 2:23 AM
Hammer'd

I'll try to get a pic of it next time I'm down. It should be on the food court side, on a door.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I'll try to get a pic of it next time I'm down. It should be on the food court side, on a door.
Oh I thought it was set up as an island or something.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:20 AM

Quote:
I like JS the best. I like the valance lighting and proportions of the halls/ceiling. The lighting is indirect, non-glaring ambient without being too dark or so bright you need sunglasses. It's always felt warm/cosy to me vs the cavernous, super bright malls like LR etc.

and i like the maze of halls, i remember years ago always having difficulty navigating it. It's not so mazy now the closure of the west side.

Italian restaurant?..that would most likely have been 'Sabraros' 'sp?'...I loved that place! and was sad to see it go, I think it was actually beside the furniture store and part of it, think they knocked a wall out or two to make room for what now is the furniture store..not sure it was a long time ago! 20 years...maybe a bit more or less, right across from where mmm muffins was damn! loved that place too for a coffee and muffin before i would go to Champions gym aka now Goodlife Fitness.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 8:13 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

thanks for that info guys

it was driving me nuts when i tried to remember the name

just seeing the logo i was like ahh yeahhh

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 2:41 AM

I might be wrong about this as my memory is a little foggy at this time, but I seem to recall heading over to Sbarro's during a lunch hour or two to sip a couple of beers and a grab a slice of pizza...don't recall them ever carding us as we were well underage at that time working @ the old Eatons.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 8:00 PM
Hammer'd

The JS Phase 4 portion where the Farmers Market will be re-located to is now visible to the public. Doesn't really look like it's anywhere near complete though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 3:53 AM

Can anyone think of a better way to use the plaza on top of Jackson Square? Right now it's literally only used for smoke breaks.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 3:59 AM

It would be a great venue for smaller festivals in the summer. They could also convert it to a "green roof" with walkways and patios. Throw a little restaurant up there and it could become a great spot.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:03 AM
Closed account

I assume this is outdoor space? If so how large a space is it?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:12 AM
Needs more coffee...

Indoor Chapters/Indigo with an outdoor plaza and artists' market.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
It would be a great venue for smaller festivals in the summer. They could also convert it to a "green roof" with walkways and patios. Throw a little restaurant up there and it could become a great spot.
It already has trees, grass and walkways. It's a pretty big space but nobody ever goes up there.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 1:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Reduce the size of the rooftop space and install skylights to brighten up Jackson Square.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 2:15 PM

a patio up there would be cool.

also, in regards to the indigo thing.. i'd be wicked if this was tied into the idea of having 2 story indigo open up onto james and the city center. it could be at the south end of the mall right beside the jackson connection, and then the second floor extending over the top floor to encompass the existing exit to the JS roof.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:47 PM
Needs more coffee...

A proper athletic retailer would be nice as well, even if it was the more "urban-fashion" type like Athletes' World. I'd really like to be able to find running shoes and athletic wear at JS, and the one store that's there is a little low on the athletic side and high on the fashion side.

re: the rooftop question, what about a bazaar/market type of thing as an extension of the farmer's market? Instead of more food: handcrafted items, jewelry, music, etc. - and some live music going the whole time.

Along with the Indigo/Chapters idea, although it would/could be difficult with a big store like this, but could exist complementarily - live book and poetry reading events during the summer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:08 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Pic from google maps

This is the green space, right?

How big of an area is it?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroblaster View Post
a patio up there would be cool.

also, in regards to the indigo thing.. i'd be wicked if this was tied into the idea of having 2 story indigo open up onto james and the city center. it could be at the south end of the mall right beside the jackson connection, and then the second floor extending over the top floor to encompass the existing exit to the JS roof.
Or, it could take over the old Bank of Montreal podium space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues