HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 12:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Looking at the profits being made at Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc., I beg to differ that a Manhattan address is a waste of money. Trust me when I tell you that these corporations have an army consultants who study these logistics, and it's quite obvious that these experts see the benefits of keeping them in Manhattan versus Long Island.
You do realize that these same people could be working in Kansas and be just as productive right? Everything is done by computer these days, people aren't actually buying and selling physical stocks. The reason these companies are here is because the people with banking knowledge are here. It's just an artifact of history, not any competitive advantage.

Quote:
New York manages to be the most economically powerful city on earth, despite its development pattern which you see as wasteful.
The fact they have so much money is exactly WHY they are so wasteful. Who cares about being efficient when you have a Trillion dollars of GDP in such a small area? You can afford to splurge.

Quote:
So everyone should abandon New Jersey, Connecticut and New York and move to Long Island?
No, they should spread out more evenly across the area. Some North, some East and some West. I mean, if this were SimCity you would just nuke everything and start over, but obviously you can't really do that so you have to live with some of the physical obstacles and just try to work around them over time. Staten Island would be a good place for a lot of development given its low density.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 12:15 AM

everyone just wants to be where the action is . . .
and manhattan's got it going on in almost every category . .
great place to work . . even better place to live !

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 1:01 AM

And it will stay that way. Its "THE CITY"

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 7:46 PM
Mr. Technology

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
You do realize that these same people could be working in Kansas and be just as productive right? Everything is done by computer these days, people aren't actually buying and selling physical stocks. The reason these companies are here is because the people with banking knowledge are here. It's just an artifact of history, not any competitive advantage.

No, they should spread out more evenly across the area. Some North, some East and some West. I mean, if this were SimCity you would just nuke everything and start over, but obviously you can't really do that so you have to live with some of the physical obstacles and just try to work around them over time. Staten Island would be a good place for a lot of development given its low density.
You're advocating turning New York into Sprawlsville, USA. There is a very good reason New York is so special and unique in the United States. 95% of U.S. cities mirror your preferred pattern of development, so you have have a very large selection of cities to chose from. Move there?

Last edited by 599GTO; Oct 18, 2015 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
The real question is who in the f wants to work in boring ass Kansas versus NYC. They flock here for a reason. Productivity is not just a matter of the mode of operations for a certain job, but the exposure to different ideas and a people.

Manhattan versus Kansas... hmmm.... good question. Well, I guess Kansas is where most people want to be hence why many fortune 500's have their HQ there.

Also, Kansas is approaching 3 million people. It was 2 million flat in 1950. A hub of migration indeed.

Quote:
I like the concentration of culture and business in the city.

Culture is also another reason they flock here. Culture is good for business.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:04 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post

It's almost looking a little 'TransAmerica'-ish in some of those renderings. I like it!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 9:58 PM
Meh

Exclamation

This thread is about 1 Vanderbilt, not Kansas. Please stay on topic.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You're advocating turning New York into Sprawlsville, USA. There is a very good reason New York is so special and unique in the United States. 95% of U.S. cities mirror your preferred pattern of development, so you have have a very large selection of cities to chose from. Move there?
Urban sprawl like a Tokyo is fine. The density is what matters, not sprawl itself. If NYC could somehow keep the density up high with a large area of low to mid rise dense urban sprawl, the city would not necessarily suffer in terms of urbanity Unfortunately, Americans prefer to live in low-density suburbs and NY's density drops off rapidly outside the core. The problem is that most US cities don't have the population to sustain both density and sprawl that leads to a poor urban experience. Yes?

In fact, I would prefer a larger area of mid-rise/high rise sprawl like a Tokyo or Seoul over a small concentrated area of hyper high rise density like Manhattan. It gives a more varied city and a larger area of usable city. Maybe there would be less scrapers, but there would be more land and urban neighborhoods to explore. If NY had kept it's pre 1920's appearance in Manhattan, I would prefer this to the current situation of focusing everything on Manhattan and building tall buildings. We all know that that version of Manhattan was the most beautiful and grand. The current NY isn't as pretty at all.

IF LA had Tokyo like density, it would be a city that would be very interesting to me. Replace all those low rise buildings with 10 story apartments and more poles of high rise, and you'd have a city that would give NY a run for it's money in America. It has a beach too.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
In fact, I would prefer a larger area of mid-rise/high rise sprawl like a Tokyo or Seoul over a small concentrated area of hyper high rise density like Manhattan. It gives a more varied city and a larger area of usable city. Maybe there would be less scrapers, but there would be more land and urban neighborhoods to explore.
Yes, this is exactly what is needed. BOTH sprawling suburbs AND massive high-rises are inefficient. The high rises don't really even create that much density because they're relatively limited in number and increasing heights bring rapidly diminishing returns due to core/floor ratios. A large expanse of mid-rises is far more dense than a few high-rises surrounded by brownstones.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, this is exactly what is needed. BOTH sprawling suburbs AND massive high-rises are inefficient. The high rises don't really even create that much density because they're relatively limited in number and increasing heights bring rapidly diminishing returns due to core/floor ratios. A large expanse of mid-rises is far more dense than a few high-rises surrounded by brownstones.
The massive skyscrapers are only inefficient in the way their space is being allocated. If we had dense, quality highrises being built I dont think there would be such a problem... but what we have in the market right now is a craving for ultra-luxury, ultra-wasteful high rise apartaments.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 7:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
But let's face it, a sprawl of mid rises isn't entirely guaranteed to be of high quality architecture. It could end up being a massive ugly concrete mess like Sao Paolo or Tokyo. The best solution for visual interest would be a sprawl of Parisian style buildings surrounding a core of modern mega-talls of Shanghai Tower worthy designs.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:52 AM

Each facade seems to sport a unique crown elevation/profile . .
I'm not so sure about the crown configuration from the North (that I've seen so far) . .
But that nighttime skyline shot from the east with the big illuminated crown . .
and even the daytime shot from the East with the reflection of the Chrysler . .
. . looks ph*kin' GREAT to me ! . .

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 10:45 AM
Mr. Technology

You really notice the balance on the skyline.

NYC really needs this tower.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGGLEWORTH View Post
The massive skyscrapers are only inefficient in the way their space is being allocated. If we had dense, quality highrises being built I dont think there would be such a problem... but what we have in the market right now is a craving for ultra-luxury, ultra-wasteful high rise apartaments.
There's nothing "wasteful" about ultra-luxury towers. They aren't replacing office space which requires land for larger floorplates. What would you rather have, those luxury mansions stacked vertically on top of each other, affecting very little footprint in the city, or sread out horizontally? The answer should be obvious.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/26/kkr-nea...-hudson-yards/

By Steve Cuozzo
October 26, 2015

Quote:
There are rumored jumbo-space hunts which fizzle out before a deal is actually made, and then there are real ones. In the latter category is a search by UBS, which is methodically prowling for between 700,000 square feet and 900,000 square feet in Midtown.

The bank is not expanding but contracting: It recently scaled back its presence in Stamford, Conn., and at 299 Park Ave. in Manhattan. Its main business center is at 1285 Sixth Ave., where it has 900,000 square feet.

UBS must move because AXA, which owns 1285 Sixth with JP Morgan Asset Management and also owns by itself 787 Seventh Ave., has put both towers up for sale for a hoped-for $4 billion. We’ve learned that AXA has told UBS it won’t renew its lease, which is up in 2020.

Sources say UBS has seen or soon will see presentations by representatives for at least five possible new homes. Three are existing towers: the Durst Organization’s 4 Times Square, Related’s Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle and Rockefeller Group’s 1271 Sixth Ave. Two others are under construction — SL Green’s One Vanderbilt and Brookfield’s One Manhattan West.

Durst’s 4 Times Square will be empty when Skadden Arps leaves in 2020 (for Manhattan West); TWC will be available when Time Warner moves to 30 Hudson Yards in 2019; and 1271 Sixth when Time Inc. leaves for Brookfield Place downtown over the next two years.

Meanwhile, both One Vanderbilt and One Manhattan West will be completed in time for UBS in 2020. UBS is expected to issue a formal request for proposals once its preliminary look-sees at all the properties are completed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:42 PM

Has anyone seen how the site prep is progressing since the last update?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There's nothing "wasteful" about ultra-luxury towers. They aren't replacing office space which requires land for larger floorplates. What would you rather have, those luxury mansions stacked vertically on top of each other, affecting very little footprint in the city, or sread out horizontally? The answer should be obvious.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/26/kkr-nea...-hudson-yards/

By Steve Cuozzo
October 26, 2015
I think you misunderstand me NYguy. Going up is more efficient than building out obviously. To have luxury you must have waste, and there's nothing wrong with that.
These towers could fit twice as many people if they were filled with regularly sized NYC apartments.
They are not as efficient as possible, and that is fine for now.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 8:28 PM

Last edited by Cynicism; Aug 10, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!!

But seriously don't use logic on these individuals that are fascinated with heights.
Of course the middle ground between the two would be massive skyscrapers EVERYWHERE instead of just a few.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:29 AM
Mr. Technology

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive