HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 9:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURKEY427 View Post
Would they really build something much taller than the chrysler right next door to it?
Yes, they would. Though it's not shown as a potential site, it is given the same zoning as the others that surround Grand Central.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 10:22 AM

How far is it from the Chrysler building to One Vanderbuilt?And would we see Chrysler from the ESB if it gets built?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 1:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
How far is it from the Chrysler building to One Vanderbuilt?And would we see Chrysler from the ESB if it gets built?
Down the street, and yes.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 2:36 PM

A thanks

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 5:05 PM

I don't even want to imagine how much money that huge underground cavern would cost - if it is even possible with current technology. Talk about a literal pipe dream.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 6:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

^I'd have to agree. I don't see how it would be possible from an engineering perspective to "float" millions of tons of schist and structural weight like that. I'd love to see their solution if in fact this rendering is actually based on real aspirations. It does make one wonder though why the future NEC HSR accommodations and the ESA project weren't combined to provide a much larger or numerous caverns at the same depth. The future LIRR platforms plus an additional 10 tracks would have been enough to do just that. It does appear that Amtrak and MTA will have to lift heaven and earth to to get HSR through routed at GCT. Time will tell, and so will financing.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^I'd have to agree. I don't see how it would be possible from an engineering perspective to "float" millions of tons of schist and structural weight like that. I'd love to see their solution if in fact this rendering is actually based on real aspirations. It does make one wonder though why the future NEC HSR accommodations and the ESA project weren't combined to provide a much larger or numerous caverns at the same depth. The future LIRR platforms plus an additional 10 tracks would have been enough to do just that. It does appear that Amtrak and MTA will have to lift heaven and earth to to get HSR through routed at GCT. Time will tell, and so will financing.
I already mentioned that the latest plan for HSR by Amtrak dropped the GCT option due to cost. The plan currently goes through Penn only.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 9:21 PM
New Yorker for life

That's enough of the underground cavern. It's not to discuss at length in this thread. It's all part of the infrastructure that will make these towers possible.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes, they would. Though it's not shown as a potential site, it is given the same zoning as the others that surround Grand Central.

I see. I personaly would like to see the Chrysler building have some space for a while longer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURKEY427 View Post
I see. I personaly would like to see the Chrysler building have some space for a while longer.
Well, it's had space for over 80 years, and will have it for at least 5 more, how much more do ya want?...

I think it's safe for a while longer though, and they wouldn't be able to put up just anything next to it anyway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 5:34 AM
Mr. Technology

As much as I want this tower built, you can't rush progress!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 2:13 PM

I do love the Chrysler building

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's enough of the underground cavern. It's not to discuss at length in this thread. It's all part of the infrastructure that will make these towers possible.
It's all part of the infrastructure? Are you implying they still intend to build that deep cavern and train station?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:26 AM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
It's all part of the infrastructure? Are you implying they still intend to build that deep cavern and train station?
I think it was just a concept by the SOM architectural firm. But as NYGuy said, it's not really the topic of conversation at this time.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
It's all part of the infrastructure?
What I'm saying is the new and expanded rail service is a part of the transit infrastructure that will feed the increased office space in the district. And particularly with buildings like this one, future connections to that infrastructure will also allow the buildings to increase in size. This building will have direct underground connections to Grand Central.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/unit...nt-341699.html

A view of Vanderbilt Avenue, with Grand Central Terminal on the right side. One aspect of the proposed rezoning is using money developers pay to build higher to make transit and pedestrian improvements, potentially including making this part of Vanderbilt Avenue a pedestrian plaza.

Quote:
...a sunrise provision means the rezoning wouldn’t take effect until 2017, mostly to avoid competition with Hudson Yards, on the West Side. The World Trade Center towers are also struggling to find tenants.

Even in 2017, though, east Midtown could take away key revenue from the city, which is invested in Hudson Yards and expecting pay back through property taxes, said Garodnick. But there wouldn’t be a competition, according to Marc Wurzel, general counsel with the Grand Central Partnership.

“We think that the types of businesses that want to do business here near the terminal are different than the businesses that may want to relocate there,” he said, advocating for no sunrise provision.

For instance, property owner SL Green has a block of properties across the street from Grand Central, and wants to clear those buildings, tear them down, and build a new state of the art office tower. Yet the company would have to wait until 2017.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:21 PM

This is good, because SL Green can build the new tower before 2017.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 2:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Bloomberg will see that this gets pushed through...

(today's state of the city address)

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgo...&rc=1194&ndi=1

Quote:
"We'll take the same approach - historic preservation balanced with new development - in East Midtown. Right now, zoning regulations around Grand Central effectively prohibit development of even a few iconic new buildings - even though the area has the best mass transit links in the entire country. If we do nothing, the area will cease to be a world-class business district, and we'll lose out on good jobs and tax revenues.

"So this year, we'll work with Borough President Stringer and Council Member Garodnick to rezone the area to allow for a select number of new buildings to rise in the decades ahead, while preserving its historic character. And the new buildings will pay into a mass transit fund so we can relieve some of the pedestrian bottlenecks and congestion in and around Grand Central.

"Two weeks ago, we celebrated Grand Central's 100th birthday - thanks to Jackie Kennedy Onassis and so many others who stepped forward and saved it in the 1970s. Now it's up to us to ensure that the area around it remains a vital part of our city's growth for the next 100 years.

"We won't rush the re-zoning - but we won't allow obstructionists to run out the clock, either. This is too important for our future. And given all the politics and special interests, if we don't do it this year, it may never get done. We can't let that happen.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:08 AM
Mr. Technology

I like Mayor Bloomberg!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:32 AM

Love Bloomberg but if Quinn wins, I think it will be a disaster. She is the current favorite and has been SO off-base on most of her comments.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 5:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Love Bloomberg but if Quinn wins, I think it will be a disaster. She is the current favorite and has been SO off-base on most of her comments.
But, like Bloomberg, she does support growth of the skyline.

Bloomberg:
Quote:
http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/8621

"You know, anybody that builds a building in New York City changes its skyline. We don’t have to run around to every other owner and apologize,” he said. “This is something that’s great for this city.”

“Competition’s a wonderful thing. One guy owns a building. He’d like to have it be the only tall building,” he added. “I’m sorry that’s not the real world, nor should it be.”

Quinn:
Quote:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-blocking.html

Empire State Building owner Andrew Malkin voiced concerns that the building, planned by Vornado Realty Trust, would alter the skyline by being so tall and close to the Empire State Building itself, even blocking it from certain angles. But City Council Speaker Christine Quinn explained, "Our skyline is always changing and growing. New York City is not a stagnant city."

But they both understand the need to plan for future skyscraper growth, which the City always needs. I'm sure other candidates will weigh in on the rezoning before its done, but it'll be Bloomberg's last big stamp on the City before he leaves office.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive