HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 12:18 AM
菠蘿油

Canada's most underrated neighbourhoods

Every city has underrated neighbourhoods – places whose reputation does not match how great they actually are. I thought it might be interesting to see what you think are some places that fly below the radar in terms of urban form, businesses, culture or whatever.

I'll start with one from Montreal. Ville Saint-Laurent is a big borough that is quickly becoming one of the most diverse in Montreal. There are immigrants from all over Africa and Asia making their home here, often side by side. Most of the area developed in the two decades World War II, but the oldest part of it, usually known as Vieux Saint-Laurent, was originally a country village that became an early streetcar suburb. Now it's served by two metro stations and it feels halfway between the city and suburbs in terms of density and streetlife. There's an interesting range of building types and the main commercial strip along Décarie Boulevard is a crazy mix of Chinese, West African and Italian businesses.

Décarie isn't anything special in terms of its architecture but it's a pleasant street to walk along thanks to wide sidewalks and lots of trees. More importantly, it's the kind of place where you can find an Italian gelateria, a Portuguese rotisserie, a northern Chinese dumpling joint, an Ivorian grocery store and a Vietnamese noodle shop within the same 200 metre strip.

Along Décarie is Beaudet Park, which is a larger version of a quintessential Montreal square, with a nice geometric arrangement of walkways and a monument in the middle (in this case a cenotaph).

The side streets in the area area mostly residential, but there are a few secondary commercial strips. The architecture is very eclectic, ranging from villageois, to classic Montreal greystones, to more suburban versions of typical Montreal triplexes, to what I would describe as "west end suburban," a boxy 1950s style you see all over the west side of Montreal.

There are two cégeps (a kind of college) in the area, one English, one French, and they add a lot of vitality, plus some architectural heft.

On the western edge of Vieux Saint-Laurent is the Ville Saint-Laurent borough hall, which appeals to anyone who loves kitschy 1960s architecture.

In sum, it's a quirky semi-suburban area with good transit access that blends some very typical Quebec architecture with a lot of cultural diversity. And I have to give a shout out to Vinh Hing, a fantastic Cantonese-Vietnamese hole-in-the-wall restaurant where you can get dry Phnom Penh noodles with a side of pork bone broth (including pork bones) for $7, and Chinese doughnuts (youtiao/yau za gwai) with a meatball in broth for $3. They also sell birthday cakes...?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:33 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Edmonton? The Avenue... Aka 118 Avenue. Everyone who doesn't live near it, treats it like trash. Those of us like myself who do feel very protective of it and seek to better it. With the gentrification of downtown a lot of urban problems have shifted north and of course the closure of the Northlands Coliseum hasn't helped. Coliseum Inn for example was once THE destination for hockey fans since it was clean and across the street has now been turned into a social housing building as has the old jockey quarters at the racetrack...

My hopes for the future? Restore streetcars along it to give better transit options through a crowded pedestrian friendly neighbourhood whose residents mostly use transit...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Every city has underrated neighbourhoods – places whose reputation does not match how great they actually are. I thought it might be interesting to see what you think are some places that fly below the radar in terms of urban form, businesses, culture or whatever.

I'll start with one from Montreal. Ville Saint-Laurent is a big borough that is quickly becoming one of the most diverse in Montreal. There are immigrants from all over Africa and Asia making their home here, often side by side. Most of the area developed in the two decades World War II, but the oldest part of it, usually known as Vieux Saint-Laurent, was originally a country village that became an early streetcar suburb. Now it's served by two metro stations and it feels halfway between the city and suburbs in terms of density and streetlife. There's an interesting range of building types and the main commercial strip along Décarie Boulevard is a crazy mix of Chinese, West African and Italian businesses.

Décarie isn't anything special in terms of its architecture but it's a pleasant street to walk along thanks to wide sidewalks and lots of trees. More importantly, it's the kind of place where you can find an Italian gelateria, a Portuguese rotisserie, a northern Chinese dumpling joint, an Ivorian grocery store and a Vietnamese noodle shop within the same 200 metre strip.
My Lebanese friends call it Ville Saint-Liban.

Last edited by JHikka; Nov 2, 2020 at 8:24 PM. Reason: Removing the million photos from this quoted post from being reposted

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:01 AM
recession proof

Walkerville and downtown Windsor are surprisingly urban.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:37 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Gem of an opening post.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:53 PM

In Toronto, people who enjoy the city's neighbourhoods tend to know the areas south of Bloor, and then their side of the city - east or west.

I live in the west, but even on this side, few people explore the Silverthorn area along Rogers Road and the residential areas north and south of it. It's not going to win any awards for architecture or vibrancy, but it is an unusual part of town that very few people go out of their way to see.

Without searching for pictures, here's a Streetview of the main drag, which is more lively than this in real life.

Ethnically, the area is very Portuguese, and there are a lot of Churrasqueiras (grills). I haven't been yet but, apparently, Churrasqueira Martins is the best one.

Silverthorn avenue curves around bends and travels up and down hills. Houses are often accessible via flights of stairs to street level. There is a cenotaph in a triangle formed by three streets that is a bit unusual. The street terminates at the foot of a hill and continues as a staircase. There are a few other staircases and pedestrian tunnels in the area.

Some of the valleys have weird industrial uses in them that seem like they were grandfathered in from the time before land use planning. Some roads are barely even paved.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Vieux Saint-Laurent closely resembles Cote-des-Neiges in Montreal, in form, fabric and folk.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:16 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I live in the west, but even on this side, few people explore the Silverthorn area along Rogers Road and the residential areas north and south of it. It's not going to win any awards for architecture or vibrancy, but it is an unusual part of town that very few people go out of their way to see.
Perfect candidate for this thread. I'd never heard of that area although I've been nearby. The whole corridor along Davenport/Old Weston/Rogers/Weston is really interesting.

Incidentally, I find Toronto is really good at establishing neighbourhood identities. Each little area has its own name, whereas here in Montreal the neighbourhood boundaries tend to be a lot larger and micro-neighbourhoods go unnamed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:27 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My Lebanese friends call it Ville Saint-Liban.
That's true. There's also a big Armenian population in VSL, and there's even a Parc de l'Arménie next to which is an Armenian community centre, an Armenian-language school and an Armenian church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Vieux Saint-Laurent closely resembles Cote-des-Neiges in Montreal, in form, fabric and folk.
Yes, a little lower in density, but otherwise very similar.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 10:00 PM
菠蘿油

Here's another one. Ville-Émard and Côte Saint-Paul are two neighbourhoods right next to each other in the southwest of Montreal. They're well served by the metro, with three stations, and they're adjacent to very hyped-up Verdun, but they are still flying below the radar in terms of gentrification (although it's definitely happening). It's still very affordable and as a result there is a wave of new immigrants (particularly Chinese and West African) that have settled there, joining the more established anglo, franco and Italian communities.

Monk Boulevard is the biggest commercial strip, although there are several smaller ones.

There's a couple nice big churches in the area, including one on Monk that has been turned into a theater, and another on de l'Église that still has a religious vocation.

There are two nice squares – Garneau Park in Ville-Émard and St-Paul Park in Côte-Saint-Paul.

The residential mix is very diverse as this area was developed over a long period of time. There are old working-class triplexes in the north, next to a strip of factories along the Lachine Canal, some slightly more bourgeois houses, 1950s apartment blocks, and lots of duplexes. There is even a small cluster of cottages built in the 1940s for returning WWII soldiers.

Best of all, the neighbourhoods are sandwiched between the Lachine Canal to the north and Angrignon Park to the south – probably the most underrated of Montreal's large parks.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
In Toronto, people who enjoy the city's neighbourhoods tend to know the areas south of Bloor, and then their side of the city - east or west.

Without searching for pictures, here's a Streetview of the main drag, which is more lively than this in real life.

Ethnically, the area is very Portuguese, and there are a lot of Churrasqueiras (grills). I haven't been yet but, apparently, Churrasqueira Martins is the best one.

Silverthorn avenue curves around bends and travels up and down hills. Houses are often accessible via flights of stairs to street level. There is a cenotaph in a triangle formed by three streets that is a bit unusual. The street terminates at the foot of a hill and continues as a staircase. There are a few other staircases and pedestrian tunnels in the area.

Some of the valleys have weird industrial uses in them that seem like they were grandfathered in from the time before land use planning. Some roads are barely even paved.
This area also came to mind. It does have a unique feel - it's solidly working class, very Portuguese, and an irregular layout due to the hilly terrain, railroad tracks and hydro corridor.

Some more streetviews that help capture the working class feel:
https://goo.gl/maps/uR3NBEZAKvZQerrW8
https://goo.gl/maps/xZtbgAaT5Jik1YQ57
https://goo.gl/maps/f7xYVqoJ2gsdhjxq7

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:10 PM
recession proof

Old Brampton is very nice.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

CSP, Ville Emard and CDN are where St. Henri, Verdun, Rosemont and Hochelaga-Maisonneuve were 15 years ago, which in turn, are where the Plateau-Mt Royale, Mile End and the more downtrodden parts of NDG were 15 years prior.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 8:00 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Edmonton? The Avenue... Aka 118 Avenue. Everyone who doesn't live near it, treats it like trash. Those of us like myself who do feel very protective of it and seek to better it. With the gentrification of downtown a lot of urban problems have shifted north and of course the closure of the Northlands Coliseum hasn't helped. Coliseum Inn for example was once THE destination for hockey fans since it was clean and across the street has now been turned into a social housing building as has the old jockey quarters at the racetrack...

My hopes for the future? Restore streetcars along it to give better transit options through a crowded pedestrian friendly neighbourhood whose residents mostly use transit...
I agree - having moved from a downtown apartment to a new duplex a few blocks away from 118 Ave, the area definitely doesn't get the attention and recognition it deserves. There are tons of excellent small businesses along the Ave and 95 St. that deserve more customers.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Old Brampton is very nice.
Yeah. I grew up in the GTA but never even knew Brampton had an urban core until 3 years ago. It feels like the downtown core for a stand alone small to mid sized Ontario city.

Courtesy Google Street view:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.68495...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 7:55 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I'd nominate Weston as one of Toronto's. It's the furthest extent of the city's pre-war built form, reaching out into an area otherwise surrounded by early post-war suburbia on 3 sides. For that reason it's a bit forgotten, though GO upgrades and the UP Express have improved its connectivity.

It's somewhat unique from a typical outer-urban Toronto neighbourhood though, in that it started its life as an independent, industrial town in the mid-1800s rather than as an interwar era suburb. As a result it's got a good stock of small town Ontario-style Victorian housing, and an off-kilter street grid that follows the Humber River rather the concession grid. The industry gave way to a number of apartment towers built in the 60s and 70s, and then became a popular destination for new immigrants. It can still a bit gappy & suburban in parts today, but its otherwise a dense, vibrant, diverse, working class neighbourhood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F...617664417).jpg

The main drag & commercial centre:

https://goo.gl/maps/fZxfu8c3cbX6ZKMp9
https://goo.gl/maps/ATTMvCHRVWFc9Mpx7
https://goo.gl/maps/RoywS84Kr7Sj8Hpu5
https://goo.gl/maps/pbYH9in8t3cZRAeu8

Residential side streets:

https://goo.gl/maps/Ykyz4EFfaF9NrY9c9
https://goo.gl/maps/bvaSzkoKPAbgEkLe6
https://goo.gl/maps/tMYCQaPsGEh2BShk8
https://goo.gl/maps/6bdoQZqMjdM7EFSN8

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 7:59 PM
sick transit, gloria

I haven't been up to Weston in some time and it came to mind for this thread as well. Not sure if the retail strip has gentrified at all but it's always felt like it served a legitimately working class population, though there was a fair amount of vacancy. Some of the surrounding houses are not cheap anymore but there's a large stock of affordable rentals in the towers.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 8:57 PM
I am the law!

I wouldn't call this an underrated neighbourhood. It's always intrigued me. It consists of low to mid rise apartments building (not as common as one would think in Toronto) that isn't next to or near any major avenue.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6390.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 12:50 AM
recession proof

Mimico, New Toronto and Long Branch are nice. There's some nice prewar apartment buildings near the lake. Even Royal York has hundreds of walkup apartment buildings that have a nice scale/density between the QEW and Lake Shore.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 8:19 AM

Quote:

Is Smart Track still happening? A stop at Rogers Road would put this neighbourhood over.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada