HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 8:27 PM
Concerned Citizen

Ikea Burlington

It looks like they are getting a new mega sized Ikea in Burlington.

I can't imagine trying to navigate through any store this size. Anyone who has tried to get around the current store will know what I am talking about. The new store is going to be 70% bigger.

I also had to laugh about Ikea being the biggest tourist draw in Halton region. It's not saying much for the region when a department store is it's biggest tourist attraction.

Here's a link to the article in the Spectator:
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-60m-expansion

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
It looks like they are getting a new mega sized Ikea in Burlington.

I can't imagine trying to navigate through any store this size. Anyone who has tried to get around the current store will know what I am talking about. The new store is going to be 70% bigger.

I also had to laugh about Ikea being the biggest tourist draw in Halton region. It's not saying much for the region when a department store is it's biggest tourist attraction.

Here's a link to the article in the Spectator:
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-60m-expansion
Harrods and Macy's are among the most-visited tourist destinations in London and New York City, respectively (I have seen references to top three for each).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 9:07 PM

You really can't compare Harrods and Macy's in New York City with IKEA. Come on... it's IKEA.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 9:14 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Harrods and Macy's are among the most-visited tourist destinations in London and New York City, respectively (I have seen references to top three for each).
I understand what you are saying, but those two stores are in more urban locations, with huge numbers of tourists that visit those cities for reasons other than visiting those stores.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 11:16 PM

You can look at things however you like. I doubt that many, if any, of the people visiting IKEA consider themselves as tourists.

The fact that a ton of people come to the IKEA store from outside of Burlington/Halton should not really take away anything from Burlington/Halton. It's not really a bad thing --- it's just strange when these visitors are framed as tourists.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 3:14 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
You can look at things however you like. I doubt that many, if any, of the people visiting IKEA consider themselves as tourists.

The fact that a ton of people come to the IKEA store from outside of Burlington/Halton should not really take away anything from Burlington/Halton. It's not really a bad thing --- it's just strange when these visitors are framed as tourists.
Whatever. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 12:37 AM

I wonder what's going to happen to the old Ikea when the new one is built.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I wonder what's going to happen to the old Ikea when the new one is built.
New SuperTarget? =P

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 3:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I first visited the Burlington IKEA last week. Didn't like it at all. Too crowded, and the furniture is just like it was 20 years ago when I couldn't afford IKEA (now I am much better off, and find IKEA just swedish for shitty furniture).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

It used to be good, when Ikea stuff was still inexpensive and relatively good prices for the quality. Now it is junk and over-priced. They are good at showcasing the rooms. But you'll find better stuff in the basement Liquidation World of Eaton Center.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs