HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
*sigh*

Imagine if Midwest cities had the luxury of these promoted fluff pieces of genuine praise from major media outlets that shape the image of a place.

We get this utter horse shit instead.

https://www.insider.com/things-that-...midwest-2021-6
It was not praise. You could have watched it.
Judging from the other episodes,its not a "fluff piece". Just an informational piece on somethings about the city he found interesting. It was like someone you knew went there and spent a day and came back telling you what he saw which was not everything he could have seen if given more time.
Wasnt even very good either. Even when I looked at some of his other episodes I found it lacking.
Like the one where he visited Kigali Rwanda.
He really didnt focus much at all on the city. Much of it was about some sacred Cows and some Gorillas in the jungle

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 4:44 PM

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
*sigh*

Imagine if Midwest cities had the luxury of these promoted fluff pieces of genuine praise from major media outlets that shape the image of a place.

I mean y'all did..... but that was many decades ago when the midwest was king.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
*sigh*

I was kicked off of the now-famous NUMTOT Facebook group for telling Californians whining about high home costs to move to Ohio.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 11:02 PM

Atlanta: "The City That Keeps Changing America" -Company based in Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
everyone is different, cnn likes the city and i know people that want to move out of atlanta.
Out of Atlanta or Woodstock,Alpharetta,Douglasville,John Creek,etc?lol
Yep everyone is different but considering Atlanta is one of the few major cities where the city is growing faster than its suburbs and with the fourth fastest growing metro in the US,id say anecdotal evidence is far different than factual reality

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I mean y'all did..... but that was many decades ago when the midwest was king.
lol no, this is false. Never really did, even going back decades.

And you're kinda missing the point.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:51 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Nice advertisement-bordering-on-propaganda piece. "Some might even call it the capital of the South" ...give me a fuckin break.

First of all, article aside, one of the first signs that someone is trying to manipulate you is use of vague hedging qualifiers, of which this is a textbook example. Ideally, you learn not to do this in high school.

But anyway, the capital of the south? In what world? Economically or demographically, sure! But this is not an article about stats, its about promoting culture, and to say that Atlanta is the cultural capital of the south is like saying Zurich is the cultural capital of Switzerland, or San Jose is the cultural capital of the Bay Area. Assuming that the biggest city in a given region must be the cultural capital is the first sign that someone has probably never been there or just doesnt know what theyre talking about. As any Russian will tell you, Russia may have its brain in Moscow, but the nation's heart and soul will forever be St. Petersburg.

So to this point, I would ask this writer, have they ever heard of New Orleans? Now THATS a southern city whose cultural contributions have changed the whole fucking world, never mind the US. If you asked people from all over the planet to name American cities they associate with African American cultural impact, you'll probably hear: New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, New York, St. Louis, Montgomery, Oakland, and maybe even Seattle (a lot of people know Jimi Hendrix) before you hear them bring up Atlanta.

So thats what i found wrong with one sentence. Extrapolate what I've said here to the rest of the article, and then to CNN as an organization, then rinse and repeat

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Nice advertisement-bordering-on-propaganda piece. "Some might even call it the capital of the South" ...give me a fuckin break.

First of all, article aside, one of the first signs that someone is trying to manipulate you is use of vague hedging qualifiers, of which this is a textbook example. Ideally, you learn not to do this in high school.

But anyway, the capital of the south? In what world? Economically or demographically, sure! But this is not an article about stats, its about promoting culture, and to say that Atlanta is the cultural capital of the south is like saying Zurich is the cultural capital of Switzerland, or San Jose is the cultural capital of the Bay Area. Assuming that the biggest city in a given region must be the cultural capital is the first sign that someone has probably never been there or just doesnt know what theyre talking about. As any Russian will tell you, Russia may have its brain in Moscow, but the nation's heart and soul will forever be St. Petersburg.

So to this point, I would ask this writer, have they ever heard of New Orleans? Now THATS a southern city whose cultural contributions have changed the whole fucking world, never mind the US. If you asked people from all over the planet to name American cities they associate with African American cultural impact, you'll probably hear: New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, New York, St. Louis, Montgomery, Oakland, and maybe even Seattle (a lot of people know Jimi Hendrix) before you hear them bring up Atlanta.

So thats what i found wrong with one sentence. Extrapolate what I've said here to the rest of the article, and then to CNN as an organization, then rinse and repeat
Surely you have heard this said many times . I cant tell you how many articles or shows Ive heard say that. Just Google :

https://thetab.com/us/2016/07/06/atl...he-south-30051
https://cse.gatech.edu/atlanta-capital-new-south
https://www.vogue.com/article/atlant...-beltline-tour
https://etips.com/blogspot/2018/5/30...l-of-the-south

Here is one I remember reading mentioning Atlanta as the cultural "capitol of America"
https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-at...tal-of-america

I dont think most people in other countries think beyond NYC,LA,DC,Miami regardless of the topic.
It would also depend on who you ask. A person of a certain age is more likely to have a different answer.Also depending on race who you ask.
I know in America,most black people will definitely say Atlanta ,DC or maybe New York. Only people who bring up New Orleans are looking at a historical view,not based on current trends of more than the last couple of decades.
Just listen to any hip hop and you will hear ATL or Atlanta refrenced.
Even Justin Biebers "Peaches" song mentions Atlanta and the re released version has Atlantas own Usher and I think I heard Ludacris in it as well.

You got HBCUS like Morehouse,Spelman,CAU and things like Tyler Perry Studios which has a crazy black following that I was surprised to know even black people in other countries know who he or Madea is.

I dont know what it is that causes such Virol towards Atlanta but the fact is there is an outsized amount of publicity Atlanta gets that it gets largely from its popularity among black Americans. No only that judging from the crazy amount of film and tv production shot in Atlanta but now actually mentioning Atlanta as central to the plots.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 11:08 AM

Not to mention that a show called “Atlanta” was one of the best of the past several years.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 11:19 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
*sigh*

I read that article as well when it came out. Total cringe.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Not to mention that a show called “Atlanta” was one of the best of the past several years.
Meanwhile the Midwest gets shows like Hot in Cleveland and WKRP in Cincinnati, which while not outright negative to their locations, didn't really do much to raise their national profile and encourage people to move to them en masse.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Out of Atlanta or Woodstock,Alpharetta,Douglasville,John Creek,etc?lol
Yep everyone is different but considering Atlanta is one of the few major cities where the city is growing faster than its suburbs and with the fourth fastest growing metro in the US,id say anecdotal evidence is far different than factual reality
Pretty much 99% of Atlanta's growth has been suburban. The city proper, most of which is suburban and indistinguishable from sprawl, has registered very modest population growth.

And Atlanta is fast-growing, but doesn't appear to be close to 4th nationwide.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Uh, I completely disagree with this. I think it's pretty widely known that Atlanta is considered 'the Black Mecca'. The city has largely hitched its brand on its Black community...the prominent HBCUs, civil rights legacy and institutions (King center+memorial), the huge music/entertainment industry including Tyler Perry's massive studios. Current pop culture has shows like Atlanta and multiple reality shows (Housewives of ATL, Love and Hiphop, Married to Medicine)...all which emphasize the blackness of Atlanta. It's widely known as a center for the Black middle class, Black entrepreneurship and business, etc.

The other cities you listed have also contributed to Black culture (save maybe Seattle...its AA population is very small), but I wouldn't put them ahead of Atlanta in terms of modern relevance to the culture. To say St. Louis or Oakland is more important to African American culture than Atlanta in 2021 is laughable.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
I know in America,most black people will definitely say Atlanta ,DC or maybe New York.
Yeah, this is not true lol. America's first black president adopted Chicago as his hometown, and a huge factor in him becoming president was the power of Chicago's black elite. Obama could not have done that in Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Pretty much 99% of Atlanta's growth has been suburban. The city proper, most of which is suburban and indistinguishable from sprawl, has registered very modest population growth.

And Atlanta is fast-growing, but doesn't appear to be close to 4th nationwide.
Most cities have more suburban growth or and equal amount suburban and city center.
Looks like its doing pretty good.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content..._20200526.xlsx
https://www.brookings.edu/research/n...for-us-cities/

Quote:
Here is a quote:Atlanta was the fourth fastest growing metro area in the country between 2010 and 2019, adding just over 730,000 people, according to the U.S. Census
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...0-000-now.html

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, this is not true lol. America's first black president adopted Chicago as his hometown, and a huge factor in him becoming president was the power of Chicago's black elite. Obama could not have done that in Atlanta.
Chicago hasnt had black power elite since Harold Washington died.
So Atlanta can produce a Martin Luther King Jr and John Lewis but not a Obama? lol
sure because there is no black elite in Atlanta.
Thats not logical

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Most cities have more suburban growth or and equal amount suburban and city center.
Looks like its doing pretty good.
Atlanta city proper, which again, is mostly sprawl, had nearly 700k residents in 1950. The latest decennial Census had Atlanta's population at 420k. So there's no way Atlanta proper is anywhere near its historical population peak. It's probably a lot higher than the decennial count, but maybe 500k, at most. Meanwhile, suburban Atlanta has gone from virtually nothing to 6-7 million people.
Quote:
A metro of 6-7 million growing by 10-15% per decade is pretty much typical Sunbelt growth.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
So Atlanta can produce a Martin Luther King Jr and John Lewis but not a Obama? lol
Thats not logical
Not to mention recently elected Senator Warnock...

Chicago is also shedding its Black population at a pretty fast clip. While most are staying in the region, a not insignificant amount are choosing to relocate to cities like Atlanta. Kind of trending opposite directions here. Same goes with a lot of the industrialized northern cities.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Thats not logical
Illinois is the only state in the country that has elected more than one black U.S. senator.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions