HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I have already stated that my remarks are irrational and bias
Well, why the hell didn't you say that right off so I wouldn't have been wasting people's time arguing some of your inane points. And please don't infect the CFL thread with the same "irrational and bias" blatherings.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Well, why the hell didn't you say that right off so I wouldn't have been wasting people's time arguing some of your inane points. And please don't infect the CFL thread with the same "irrational and bias" blatherings.
Ok you know I will give you a completely rational take to make you understand what my point is that is in no way irrational or incorrect.

NBA > Euroleague

8 NBA players > 1 NBA player

20+ betting favourites but at the end of the day we lost. I don’t understand your pessimism for Canadian basketball trying to say the Czech were actually a better team.

Anyways this is completely exhasuting and not going anywhere. I’ve said what I needed to say!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I don’t understand your pessimism for Canadian basketball trying to say the Czech were actually a better team
Czech 103 Canada 101 Final Nuf ced!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 12:15 PM
The New Republic

North Americans are far too dismissive of basketball that isn't NBA but we also need to acknowledge that FIBA basketball is different. Some of the rules are different and the spacing is different. In FIBA you can have a 7 footer plant himself under the basket all day long. The Czech Republic scored at will by passing the ball to 7'1" Balvin or 7'0" Vesely. When that shot wasn't available they bumped it out to the perimeter and Scilb killed us from 3 shooting 7/12 of 58%.

We're also dismissing how important team chemistry is. Cobbling together some NBA stars 3 weeks before a FIBA event and expecting to win is unrealistic. European players grow up with FIBA basketball and some of these teams have been together for 10 years or more.

Arguing that the Czech team is better than the Canadian team based on a 103-101 OT win is a lazy argument and doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. Yes, that Czech team is very good but one can't argue they're better based on the outcome from one FIBA game. The Canadian team is more talented. They just are. What is shows is that in FIBA you need size at centre and you need good 3 point shooting. It also bears mentioning that if we played them under NBA rules, the Czech team would have struggled.

That said, the world plays FIBA basketball so we need to adapt. The key seems to be ensuring Canadian junior talent come up though the system playing FIBA U16, U17, U18, and U19 World Cups and Continental Cups. That way Canadian players are accustomed to FIBA basketball by the time they get to the national team. At the national team level we need continuity to build team chemistry. That means having a core group who stay with the program over the long term: 8 years or more.

The Victoria OQT was disappointing but Canada is on the right track. Our junior teams continue to shine. Our FIBA U19 World Cup team just won bronze (beating Serbia) to go with the gold we won in 2017. It's implausible that this success won't transfer into success at the senior level. It will. Canada Basketball needs to stay the course.

Last edited by isaidso; Jul 13, 2021 at 12:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 1:34 AM
Registered Drug User

Seems like the Raps' championship parade in 2019 really was one of the greatest ever. Mostly due to the mammoth size of it at some 2 million people. Last year the Lakers didn't really do a parade due to COVID, and I remember the Warriors' parades being somewhat small affairs. Cleveland's was raucous and a long time coming, just like the Raps, but it was still a lot smaller than Toronto's.

I was surprised by how small Milwaukee's parade was. With so much history there, the first title in half a century, famously Lew Alcindor's first championship win in 1971, I expected more. Then again, Milwaukee's metro area is a lot smaller. The only pandemonium to rival Toronto's seems to be the Bulls wins in in the 90s, where footage of the massive gatherings looks similar to the Hajj-like pilgrimage in front of city hall on Queen two years ago. Which stands to reason, given Chicago's size.

Someday in our lifetime the Knicks are going to win the championship and New York is going to literally explode.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 7:03 PM

Well France beats US again. France is the 7th ranked team according to FIBA. They have 5 NBAers. Only one all star -- 2x all star Rudy Gobert.

US -- combined 29 all star appearances.

There tonnes of guys in soccer, basketball and hockey that are not in the big leagues that could easily play in the big leagues. And so many of those guys are as talented or as useful to a team as some established big league guys.

Many of those big league guys are perceived as better because of the schools/systems they came up in. And there's a lot of luck involved. So much depends on your teammates, coaches and systems. Those factors can either hinder you or elevate you so you look worse or better than you are or sometimes it's pretty accurate.

Jamie Vardy was playing in the 5th tier of English football and made his way up late in his career to Liecester and was playing the EPL. Then he helped them to win the whole damn thing. In separate years he was player of the year and won the golden boot.

Lots and lots of talent out there and there's guys that don't get the respect they deserve when compared to more established players.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:52 PM

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 12:27 AM

CP24 says that TSN says that multiple reports suggest that Kyle Lowry will be signing with the Miami Heat.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 2:03 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
CP24 says that TSN says that multiple reports suggest that Kyle Lowry will be signing with the Miami Heat.
Greatest player in Raptors franchise history.

He deserves the payday that Toronto can't give him. No hard feelings.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:11 PM
Registered Drug User

Well this is exciting:

Quote:
'Dream bigger': Newest member of Toronto Raptors hopes to be role model for kids in Rexdale

As the newest member of the Toronto Raptors—and the first Canadian drafted to the team—Dalano Banton hopes to be a role model for kids in his old neighbourhood.

For Banton, who said the Toronto Raptors was his “favourite team” growing up, this moment was a dream come true, especially for a kid who started his career playing across the street from where he lived at the Rexdale Community Hub, and then the North Kipling Community Centre.

Banton even kept his neighbourhood in mind when choosing his jersey—a tribute to the 45 Kipling TTC bus he often took while in Rexdale.

https://www.cp24.com/news/dream-bigg...dale-1.5531832
I don't know anything about him and he's only a second-round pick. Maybe all the high hopes and hoopla will be for naught. Who knows?

But hey, the GTA's stature as a generator of NBA talent just keeps on growing, and as a kid who played high school ball in the 80s in Hamilton (and even made the city all-star team--yep, as a 5'11" guy I could just about dunk a volleyball), this is all too thrilling and would have been unimaginable to me when I was a youngster.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 4:01 PM

Raptors pre-season starts in 2 weeks roughly

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 10:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
It does say in the actual tweet "in Canada", so those are entirely believable.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 11:07 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
D'oh! Missed that part.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 12:18 AM

Why would the Bulls, post MJ, be third?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Most likely is because they signed Derozan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Stylish jersey and good nostalgia.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I seriously doubt this

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:12 AM
Registered Drug User

Fun preseason opener tonight. One thing I'm not clear on is what they're going to do with this whole whack of 6-9 guys on the roster. You've got Yuta Watanabe, Freddie Gillespie, Khem Birch, Precious Achiuwa, Scottie Barnes and Dalano Banton, and clearly some of them are going to have to go.

Problem is, I kinda like all of them! Sentimentally, it'd be great to have a third Canadian on the roster with the hometown boy Banton. Will be very interesting to see who makes the final roster.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 5:28 PM
ハルウララ

We didn't have enough leagues as is so the Eastern Canadian Basketball League continues its push to formation, today announcing Saint John as the newest franchise location, joining Truro which was announced in September. Will be in direct competition with the NBLC which still exists in the Maritimes with a much smaller footprint than previous. The ECBL is looking for up to 12 franchises in the Maritimes, including two in PEI, four in NB, and one each in Halifax and Dartmouth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada