HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 8:53 PM

Forum meet-up

I , for one would really be interested in a forum meet-up!!!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 9:10 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceWentUp View Post
From what I’ve heard, the Governor’s office wants a Space Needle-esque landmark at the Point of the Mountain site. It’s going to be pretty disappointing to see the state’s iconic landmark in Drapee as opposed to SLC
The State's iconic landmark is in Southern Utah. It's called Arches National Park; the Delicate Arch.

Salt Lakers be damned.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
The State's iconic landmark is in Southern Utah. It's called Arches National Park; the Delicate Arch.

Salt Lakers be damned.
I think Temple Square might be more iconic Utah than even that

But seriously, imagine the space needle surrounded by parking garages, tract housing, and whatever suburban office/shopping mall development they end up building down there.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 11:57 PM

I think I would be down for a meet up. It's been over 5 years since the last one. Jedikermit, you in? Someone who should come is Comrade. C'mon show your face!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 1:28 AM

I went to the last meet up. I wish more people would have shown up. It was cool to meet those of you that did. For some reason I just remember Orlando

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 4:47 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
I would be down for a forum meet up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
I , for one would really be interested in a forum meet-up!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think I would be down for a meet up. It's been over 5 years since the last one. Jedikermit, you in? Someone who should come is Comrade. C'mon show your face!
Let's do it! Maybe an evening next week? How does dinner/drinks and a downtown walk-around sound?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Let's do it! Maybe an evening next week? How does dinner/drinks and a downtown walk-around sound?
If that's the idea, ya'll should have scheduled it sooner and planned on ending the night at Tavernacle for its final weekend.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 12:46 PM

This is a great photo for showing that SLC is coming along nicely as far as adding density to its core. The tabletop effect is pretty obvious from this angle though. Even with the upcoming additions like Astra that effect will still be pronounced. Now would be a good time to start pushing the decision-makers for those 500-600 footers, especially residential. Given the downtown housing shortage and continuing demand, coupled with the current rental rates, it would seem that the penciling out aligns well for increased height in the CBD. I mean SLC is not as expensive as San Fran or L.A., but it's definitely demanding higher rates than some of Salt Lake City's competitive cities, which seem to have no problem with developing the taller towers.

Edit: I stand corrected, at least as the current rates stand. Looking through some of the cities on RENTCafe.com (Denver, Austin, Nashville, and Salt Lake City) it would appear that at the moment Salt Lake City is still significantly lower city-wide, but especially downtown. The average apartment in all four cities is figured at around 850 sq. ft. City-wide SLC is 200-400 a month cheaper, Denver being the most expensive. Downtown SLC comes in on average in the 1300s. However, on average downtown Denver is at 2234.00, Austin at 2,934.00, and Nashville at 2,020.00. The average year-over-year jump was highest in SLC and Austin, but I was surprised at how expensive downtown Austin has become.

Just taking a quick stab at the stats I would guess that downtown SLC rates will only begin to catch up as SLC adds more Astra, Theatre, Convexity style housing. City's like Nashville, Austin, and Denver had already added a significant amount of high-rise residential before SLC had even started. It would make sense that an Astra tower quickly occupied would prove to developers that downtown Salt Lake City is ready for more of the same and hopefully taller. It would seem like we're just going to have to wait a few more years before the Salt Lake market proves itself as capable of the 600-plus footers, especially given Salt Lake developer's conservative nature. If anything were to come along sooner it would be most likely developed by a very deep pocketed developer with national and international reach. The L.D.S. Church could afford to play the longer game but they have so many announced and strongly rumored projects right now that it's not probable that they would build a residential tower taller than 99 West for the foreseeable future.

What are you guys predictions for taller residential over the next ten years?

Also, maybe this was no news to you guys, but something that caught me by surprise was that it seems like they decided to demolish the north visitors center on Temple Square. I had thought that it would be remaining and was not a part of the whole remake. They have indicated that gardens would take its place. Is this something more recent or was it always on the calendar?

Last edited by delts145; Jul 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Jedikermit, you in?
I could be in.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 4:09 PM
Space Magi

Here's the version with Astra:

Worth pointing out that Convexity and Moda Luxe will also be visible in this view (bottom left)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 4:16 PM

^^^
That definitely helps Atlas. I just hope that Astra proves to be a confidence booster for taller towers within the downtown area, particularly on State, Main, and W. Temple.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 4:46 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
I hope everyone has a good time. Wish I could join, but it's too awkward when I work in the industry and don't really want people to know who I am, what I do, and who I do it for. I like being able to drop occasional bits of info while remaining somewhat anonymous.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
That definitely helps Atlas. I just hope that Astra proves to be a confidence booster for taller towers within the downtown area, particularly on State, Main, and W. Temple.
I hope so as well delts, an attractive 600+ tower in the right spot would work miracles for the skyline. Sad thing is some of our towers already have the square footage of a much taller tower, (Wells Fargo etc.) but as we all know they chose width over hight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I hope everyone has a good time. Wish I could join, but it's too awkward when I work in the industry and don't really want people to know who I am, what I do, and who I do it for. I like being able to drop occasional bits of info while remaining somewhat anonymous.
Hmmm, any guesses who's hiding behind the name Schmoe?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Worth pointing out that Convexity and Moda Luxe will also be visible in this view (bottom left)
It would be cool if someone could make a version of this that includes these or at least Convexity for sure! I'm obsessed with this pic

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 10:15 PM

Forgot to add this, I would love to see a 600-700ft tower within the next few years but I am most looking forward to the giant parking lot blocks being filled in.

It has been mentioned before on this forum but I think it would be just as satisfying to see something at least architecturally interesting or unique to Salt Lake pop up. I am a huge fan of Amazon's helix tower for their HQ2 in Arlington and I think something similarly unique (but not necessarily tall) would look great.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 10:35 PM

I like towers with some nice curves, but If I'm being honest, all I see with the Amazon tower is the worlds biggest Christmas tree! Add a star on top and even Santa would blush.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

Also, maybe this was no news to you guys, but something that caught me by surprise was that it seems like they decided to demolish the north visitors center on Temple Square. I had thought that it would be remaining and was not a part of the whole remake. They have indicated that gardens would take its place. Is this something more recent or was it always on the calendar?
Demolishing the North Visitors Center was not in the original plan and is a more recent decision.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 11:48 PM
Space Magi

Not a fan of that Amazon helix building... it reminds of the poop emoji.

I really like the new Google building (Block 185) in Austin though:

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 1:04 AM
of SLC

Would be cool to meet up with the peoples of this forum, but I'll keep to my shitposting.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 7:06 AM

I would be interested in a forum meetup. I think I went to the last one. If that was when we went to the top of the Wells Fargo building.

I am not sold on a Space Needle type building but what SLC is missing is a nice restaurant with a view from the top of a tall building. I hear allot of visitors ask about one and the closest thing I can come up with is either Gracie's or the Green Pig lol. I think people would really enjoy the mountain views.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West