HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 3:52 PM

Is anything happening with riverfront 47? There hasn't been much news for a couple years.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 6:00 PM

Time for a development roundup post.

First, the 7/27 Planning Commission agenda is online. Not much for next week - three new items, although in reality, two of them are one project - and all are small.

1/2. Replacement of signage at PNC Park at both the riverwalk and the rotunda. This basically replaces the existing, somewhat unique signs with a much more generic one showcasing the PNC logo and font. I think this is a mistake. I dislike slapping corporate logos on buildings in general, but this isn't like using a tall building as an advertisement - this is a unique building in the city and deserves a unique logo.

3. The University of Pittsburgh is putting in for approval to demolish the Croatian Fraternal building at 3441 Forbes Avenue. As was discussed earlier, they now intend to save the façade and reconstruct it as a feature in front of whatever new building is later constructed on site.

Two different batches of ZBA presentations are also online now. First, August 5 items of note:

1. New infill home in Lower Lawrenceville. Renderings are crude, but it's enough to let me know the design is shit.

2. Six new homes in what is technically Stanton Heights, but is practically speaking part of Morningside. This isn't too far from my house, and this project has been percolating for awhile, with the site now being cleared. For technical reasons related to zoning they are going through zoning as if these are three two-units, rather than six semi-attached. Due to a kerfuffle with neighbors at the ZBA hearing last year, one story had to be chopped off of the homes, with the new style much more modern than the original intent - but still a bit of a step up from the original design.

3. A nice rehab of 6500 Hamilton in Larimer. This is one of the higher-quality buildings in that corridor, and will have easy access to Bakery Square (and the new busway stop) once the planned bridge is completed.

Now, for August 12. Not much to discuss, other than an infill SFH in Lower Hill. The rendering is crude, but it seems they are going with more of a New Traditional style of home pretty similar to existing neighbors, though the status as a corner lot means the garage will be kept off the primary façade. It looks fine, though it's a strange location for a semi-suburban typology, since both of the streets it fronts on are alleys.

Last edited by eschaton; Jul 23, 2021 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsters View Post
Is anything happening with riverfront 47? There hasn't been much news for a couple years.
Funny you should ask. They just sold some land to the riverfront park in Aspinwall, which is getting renamed...

"An agreement with the Mosites Company, owners of a 47-acre tract of land that stretches from the park to Sharpsburg, will allow for the acquisition of six acres of property in Aspinwall adjacent to the park, as well as an easement that allows for the construction of a multi-use trail connecting the newly acquired property to 13th Street in Sharpsburg.

The Mosites project, called Riverfront 47, plans for a mixed-use development with 500 housing units, light manufacturing and retail."

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...5chVtVUDP8U5h0

This is great news... the missing links in the riverfront trails are at least slowly being eliminated.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Funny you should ask. They just sold some land to the riverfront park in Aspinwall, which is getting renamed...

"An agreement with the Mosites Company, owners of a 47-acre tract of land that stretches from the park to Sharpsburg, will allow for the acquisition of six acres of property in Aspinwall adjacent to the park, as well as an easement that allows for the construction of a multi-use trail connecting the newly acquired property to 13th Street in Sharpsburg.

The Mosites project, called Riverfront 47, plans for a mixed-use development with 500 housing units, light manufacturing and retail."

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...5chVtVUDP8U5h0

This is great news... the missing links in the riverfront trails are at least slowly being eliminated.
I looked it up online. The parcel which contains all of Riverfront 47's property within the borough is...5.9 acres. Essentially they gifted the park all of the developable land along the riverfront in Aspinwall. The project will now exclusively be in O'Hara/Sharpsburg.

One way to deal with annoying NIMBYs for sure.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:34 AM

There is a lot going on behind the scenes regarding Riverfront 47. The owners and Mosites have enlisted two international development companies, and they are in the design/meeting/planning/financing stages now. The initial renderings (not publicly available yet) are impressive.

Last edited by pj3000; Jul 26, 2021 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 6:23 PM

I guess that this is the Pitt news...

Pitt proposes plans to bring grocery store, resident housing to Oakland

Quote:
Pitt announced plans Monday to redevelop its property at 3401 Boulevard of the Allies. The University proposed bringing a grocery store and residential housing units to the property, which currently houses a Panera Bread and was formerly a Quality Inn and Suites.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
Wow...so that building was totally vacant on its upper stories more recently?

That's actually not a bad location for a grocery store. It's within close walking distance of a lot of people, yet at the same time Allies itself is kinda a mess, meaning the autocentric element won't be that much of a detraction.

I do have a hard time imagining they'd redevelop the existing building though. The first story is way too small for a grocery store.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 11:57 AM

Garden Theater Block

Site clearing started at the corner of Federal and North Ave at the Garden Theater block yesterday, so hopefully that's the sign that construction will - at long last - begin shortly on the new apartment building. I've walked by that spot hundreds and hundreds of times over the last few years, so I'm eager to see some activity there.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Wow...so that building was totally vacant on its upper stories more recently?

That's actually not a bad location for a grocery store. It's within close walking distance of a lot of people, yet at the same time Allies itself is kinda a mess, meaning the autocentric element won't be that much of a detraction.

I do have a hard time imagining they'd redevelop the existing building though. The first story is way too small for a grocery store.
I guess limited space, coupled with opportunity makes this the spot. I agree on Allies.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:53 PM

I noticed the August HRC is now online. It's another slow month for that, but I figured I would cover the larger projects.

1. New playground for Allegheny Commons West.

2. More detail regarded the planned rehab of a building on East Carson Street to become a day care. This was earlier covered in a ZBA presentation, IIRC. They are for the most part replacing in kind, but they are restoring some of the original window openings on some facades.

3. More info regarding restoration of the Oliver Bath House in the South Side. This was earlier covered in an Art Commission presentation. The most notable aspects of the project are replacement of the roof and demolition of a rooftop apartment (largely not visible from the street) to make way for new mechanical systems.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 6:44 PM

Interesting development note: Walnut Capital is putting in to demolish three townhomes near the top of Halket Street in Oakland, with no plan other than an "open space parklet.

Looking online, it seems they bought these three townhouses for $625,000 in 2019. A lot of money for a parklet.

UPMC owns the entire remainder of the block, save for a small stand of commercial buildings at the corner. Even if Walnut Capital bought that parcel as well, it would be too small an area to do much with. Therefore, it certainly seems like it is land-banking with the expectation that eventually UPMC is going to want to build something larger scale in that area.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 4:34 PM

as i predicted

East Liberty bank building fails to gain historical designation, could be demolished

https://triblive.com/local/east-libe...be-demolished/

"She lamented the “cookie-cutter” buildings that many chains use despite their location and said the building was unique enough to be worth preserving."

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 1:21 AM

August 19 ZBA is now online. Three items of interest.

1. Rehab of existing building on Centre Ave to include a barbershop, restaurant, and four units of housing. I am 99% certain this is one of the URA-funded microprojects. There are pretty detailed engineering schematics showing plans to hardscape/landscape the two vacant lots alongside the property, but unfortunately no renderings.

2. Final ZBA approval for the ice rink at Hunt Armory. Not much to say here other than it's nice to see it moving along.

3. Approval for a new LED-lit holiday tree at PPG Place.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyside View Post
as i predicted

East Liberty bank building fails to gain historical designation, could be demolished

https://triblive.com/local/east-libe...be-demolished/

"She lamented the “cookie-cutter” buildings that many chains use despite their location and said the building was unique enough to be worth preserving."
That building shouldn't be protected. It doesn't meet the standards for preservation status, and ethically the city should not be approving nominations by third parties against the wishes of the property owner. Using the historic nomination process as a NIMBY tool and as a way to address failings in the zoning code is ridiculous. Surface parking and drive-throughs should not be allowed in the heart of East Liberty and the city needs to push through a revision to the Baum Centre Overlay zoning to fix that. Waiting for a wholesale rezoning of the city (which will have its own problems) isn't a solution.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:06 PM

That's not a "NIMBY" situation. I get it, some (maybe a lot) of people don't care for that style of architecture, but it's part of the fabric. What's going to needlessly replace it? Come on.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
That's not a "NIMBY" situation. I get it, some (maybe a lot) of people don't care for that style of architecture, but it's part of the fabric. What's going to needlessly replace it? Come on.
I don't think that this particular instance is NIMBYism, but we can't act like the preservation process isn't used as a cudgel to stop new developments. This is a failure of the zoning code. The current building should NOT be replaced with a drive-through bank, but I don't know under what legal framework the city can stop that outside of holding the project up through years of appeals.

The city seems to put a lot of energy into largely performative measures like eco-districts, inclusionary zoning, and the like while ignoring the fact that the most transit-rich growth corridor in the region is filled with parking lots, single-family homes, and one-story buildings.

Last edited by Don't Be That Guy; Aug 2, 2021 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:34 PM

The sad thing about all of this is since the former CVS is getting torn down to make way for a new one-story bank as well you will have an entire side of a block in the heart of East Liberty set aside for low-vitality finance uses - with one story shit architecture and surface parking.

That said, the issue with historic designation is it is forever. at least now eventually someone could buy those two banks, consolidate the lots and eventually build a midrise building of merit on the sites.

Basically I'm all for higher and better uses, but historic designation is a shite way to get there.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
The city seems to put a lot of energy into largely performative measures like eco-districts, inclusionary zoning, and the like while ignoring the fact that the most transit-rich growth corridor in the region is filled with parking lots, single-family homes, and one-story buildings.
A lot of the issue seems to be the UNC zoning was some weird compromise, which allows for taller/denser development than LNC (particularly residential) but also allows for more autocentric business uses.

Like, it's legal to put car washes, construction contractors, fast-food drive-thrus, auto-body repair shops, and car dealerships in UNC-zoned areas. Those are all illegal in LNC.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
August 19 ZBA is now online. Three items of interest

2. Final ZBA approval for the ice rink at Hunt Armory. Not much to say here other than it's nice to see it moving along.
So I saw this mentioned buried in an article somewhere which I can no longer seem to find, but there's a notable detail of the ice rink that seems to have been downplayed. The Penguins are not installing a permanent ice plant in the building. Instead, they are setting up their temporary seasonal ice rink (which they've used in the past outside on the North Shore, Southside Works, and Highmark Stadium) which will then be removed in March. Based on its use this winter, they'll decide whether or not to do it again (or presumably consider installing a permanent ice plant system).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 6:47 PM

Six Historic Buildings In Allegheny County Being Restored And Rehabilitated With Help From Tax Credits
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021...eing-restored/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations