HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Were you shocked by any of the cities on the list or the order in which they appeared
Yes 9 39.13%
No 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Oh yes, led by that insufferable tool Keith Rabois. There was a while where I couldn't log onto twitter without seeing the tech bros lauding the virtues of Miami while shitting on San Francisco. It does seem to have died off a bit. Miami in the summertime isn't much of a flex, and I bet some of these guys are regretting their moves as the 5th month of 90+ degree weather and extreme humidity fast approaches. Not to mention hurricane season hasn't even started yet. I have nothing against Miami, but I do wish nothing but the worst for Keith and his little legion of tech ghouls who seemed to delight in throwing stones at SF
Yeah, I had to mute him lol. But the chatter was still deafening. You hardly ever hear it anymore though.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Bc Miami is the only population center on earth with the Biscayne Aquifier.

It isn't climate change, per se, that's the issue, it's the aquifier, which can't be fixed. There are potential fixes for sea level rise, of course, but that's no different from anywhere else at sea level.
There are tons of other cities with water and climate change issues.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
There are tons of other cities with water and climate change issues.
The issue is Miami will start flooding from below ground as opposed to the coast and there is no way to prevent it is as there would be from rising coastal water levels.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 11:29 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
The issue is Miami will start flooding from below ground as opposed to the coast and there is no way to prevent it is as there would be from rising coastal water levels.
It'll be Venice but with skyscrapers, a new world attraction!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 11:31 PM

Lol I don't envy the city's position, but it'll be interesting to see how they'll deal with it. Full retreat? Build on top of the old? We'll see.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ as of 2020, Atlanta was the 9th largest MSA in the nation,

so yeah, it's a pretty big place now and should "feel" as such.

Yeah, the data presented here appears to be?

A. Outdated
C. Inaccurate
B. Inconsistent
D. Incomplete
E. Bizarrely tabulated
F. All of the above
On on a general simplistic answer on standard questions from most job tests are most likely to be all of the above.

This is not an SAT or ACT question. They are not really looking or testing if you are smart enough not to pass a simply yearly educational requirement.

It's a question like that usually comes out from an HR test that is so easy to get 100% just to say you took the CE.

My only question is what is a high rise? In height? I might have missed that in the video but i will look again.

Edit

So a high rise is 150 feet?

Well in that case Toronto would likely be number 2 after nyc if we included Canada.

Is this city limits or MSA numbers?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 1:57 AM

Whenever the topic of climate change is brought up, Miami is always the epicenter of the conversation. I understand as it's the most impacted coastal city by climate change. However, there are efforts to help protect Miami against climate change.

Originally, the Army Corps proposed a plan for Miami against storm surge and sea level rise after hurricane Irma 2017, however, the public was opposed to this for obvious reasons:

I mean the wall literally has berlin written on it. It clearly looks like a joke but it isn't. I dont know what they were thinking...

So eventually swire properties listened to the concern of the people and proposed a more natural barrier against storm surges and climate change.

https://urbanland.uli.org/sustainabi...al-flood-risk/

Quote:
Swire hired the engineering and infrastructure company Moffatt & Nichol to craft an option they thought would be both more visually palatable and better at preserving property values. The concept is a layered defense of the city, which begins with submerged oyster reefs. Those are followed by an earthen wall called a berm, with a boardwalk built atop it. This second layer will be further strengthened with mangrove trees, which have proven especially effective at slowing waves, and it could easily be built up higher in future with additional sediment and rock. A third and final barrier would be a smaller seawall than the federal proposal at the shoreline.

The idea is to dissipate the energy of the waves as they approach the city, thus lessening the need for a soaring sea wall of the kind originally proposed by the Army Corps. That way there is no single point of failure, and both the oyster reefs and the berm (with boardwalk) will introduce further amenities to the city–not just protection.

“You have these levees that can still function to be public access and bring social benefits,” says Lynette Cardoch, director of resilience and adaptation at Moffatt & Nichol. “You’re not disconnecting people from the ocean and the things that make Miami unique.”

Cardoch says the intent of the Swire proposal, and the general pushback against the Corps plan, was not intended to end the conversation or be disrespectful to the federal engineers. Instead, the city, and private interests like Swire, want to continue the conversation with the Corps and push plans in a new direction.

If you want to see the climate action stategy by the Miami Dade County, the link is here: https://www.miamidade.gov/global/eco...tegy/home.page

Approaches to Cut Emissions 50% by 2030

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/eco...emissions.page

In an article posted in 2015, it goes over the plans other cities in South Florida are taking.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/issues...-level-debate/

Quote:
Since Aventura’s incorporation in 1995, more than $10 million has been spent to install larger drainage pipes, add pipes in areas without them and increase the stormwater collection system’s capacity, City Manager Eric Soroka said via email. Next year’s budget allocates $1.6 million for more drainage improvements and updates the city’s stormwater master plan. Aventura has mandated since 1997 that the lowest finished floor in new construction be 1 foot above the flood elevation set by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, although waivers can be granted for flood-proofing structures.
In Sunny Isles Beach, developers must build 7 to 10 feet above FEMA’s flood-elevation zone, according to City Manager Christopher Russo. “In recent years, we have spent approximately $10 million to improve stormwater management and address flood prevention in our city,” he said via email.

Mayor Mayra Lindsay said Key Biscayne also demands developers build at least 7 feet above FEMA’s flood-elevation zone. In addition to investing millions of dollars in stormwater management systems, Key Biscayne annually sets aside funding to “renourish” beaches with sand erosion. “We don’t wait until crisis mode,” she said.
Miami Beach is taking the drastic step of raising the height of roads, sidewalks and drainage systems to stave off flooding from the sea.
18th Street to 20th Street on Purdy Avenue in the Sunset Harbour neighborhood. The street and sidewalks on nearby Alton Road between Lincoln Road and Dade Boulevard were boosted 1.5 feet. New water pumps installed from Fifth to Eighth streets between Alton Road and West Avenue target chronic flooding by the entrance to South Beach. Over the next 50 years, the city intends to spend $300 million to add 60 to 80 water pumps all over, Mowry said.
Miami Beach is planning to pump water and dump it out of Biscayne Bay.

There are many other plans, but for those, I haven't really seen much resurface over the years. Saying Miami is "inevitable" to climate change is a bit unrealistic.

Last edited by Altoic; Aug 19, 2022 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
There are many other plans, but for those, I haven't really seen much resurface over the years. Saying Miami is "inevitable" to climate change is a bit unrealistic.
But we aren't talking about this.

Miami isn't at existential risk bc of sea level rise. That's fixable, with any population center at sea level. Very expensive, yes, but fixable.

Miami is an existential risk due to something totally unfixable - the seeping seawater under the city, a condition shared by no other major population center on the planet. You could build mile-high seawalls and it won't do a thing when the water is eroding from underneath. You could even build gigantic desal plants to supplant the eventually useless groundwater supply, and the city would still be engulfed from below.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 4:10 AM

Miami and a few other cities do share the problem of saltwater intrusion and land subsidence, yes. Like parts of Houston, many parts of Louisiana including Baton Rouge, and many coastal regions including Jakarta which is having a growing risk of saltwater intrusion.

From what I've read Miami does have a big land subsidence problem where the accelerated use of groundwater pumping is draining the natural aquifer's supply resulting in salt water contaminating/flowing into the Biscayne Bay aquifers.

However, Miami like many regions is finding solutions to fix land subsidence and saltwater intrusion.
As you said, desalination plants can help alleviate saltwater intrusion while also restoring fresh water into the aquifers. You can also do reverse osmosis, halt groundwater pumping, and overall reduce the use of freshwater by implementing high-efficiency fixtures, etc...

This doesn't only protect the land from accelerated sinking but also protects the Miami residents from contaminated waters.
Over time more solutions will be made to help slow or stop land subsidence. Right now there are a few solutions, sustainable water management, restoring water ecosystems in cities, and 'Waterproof' urban planning, per:

It all starts with solving the saltwater intrusion into the Biscayne Aquifer, which has sped up erosion making the land sink, while also contaminating local water.

https://www.cowi.com/insights/how-do...s-from-sinking

It'll be an effort from our elected leaders and how they respond to these problems. Right now Miami and most of South Florida aren't doing enough. It doesn't help that our government has a history of denying climate change lol.

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/wat...intrusion.page

Last edited by Altoic; Aug 19, 2022 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 6:46 AM

San Diego?

Why isn't SD on the list? Has several skyscrapers and many hi rises under construction.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 6:20 PM
Small but Mighty

^^ These are all extremely expensive options to protect Miami. I hate to be that guy, but I'd prefer if federal tax dollars stayed out of this. If people choose to live in Miami, they should pay the cost of these preventative measures themselves. I know the Feds will get involved, but it's a losing game.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^ These are all extremely expensive options to protect Miami. I hate to be that guy, but I'd prefer if federal tax dollars stayed out of this. If people choose to live in Miami, they should pay the cost of these preventative measures themselves. I know the Feds will get involved, but it's a losing game.
Agreed. But the cost is still likely to be reasonable, proportionally speaking, even if it were only borne by locals.

A quick Google search yielded a value of nearly a trillion US dollars for the sum of the value of Miami real estate, and I suspect it's only the figure for what's within city limits. If everyone donates pocket change, there will still be several billions to play with; if everyone donates an amount that starts to be noticeable, then that's even more billions.

Also, Tallahassee would have an incentive to contribute financially, and for that matter, the Feds as well, so even in the most fair scenario, it's a good investment for taxpayers in general.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 8:28 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Why isn't SD on the list? Has several skyscrapers and many hi rises under construction.
Which ones? San Diego's height limit is right at the skyscraper threshold.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Oh yes, led by that insufferable tool Keith Rabois. There was a while where I couldn't log onto twitter without seeing the tech bros lauding the virtues of Miami while shitting on San Francisco. It does seem to have died off a bit. Miami in the summertime isn't much of a flex, and I bet some of these guys are regretting their moves as the 5th month of 90+ degree weather and extreme humidity fast approaches. Not to mention hurricane season hasn't even started yet. I have nothing against Miami, but I do wish nothing but the worst for Keith and his little legion of tech ghouls who seemed to delight in throwing stones at SF
Ah Keith and his Miami boosterism haha, he quieted down after (as expected) Miami's tech growth was abysmal/most Miami companies hiring are all remote workers. Imagine saying "Miami is the fastest growing tech hub in the U.S" and then you see how the whole MSA added 2K jobs in 2021, with 300 in downtown LOL.

The best was the whole "Here are three pictures of nice cars that didn't get broken in to in Wynwood" = it's better than SF and it never happens in Miami.... When Wynwood is known for people breaking into cars lol. I had to block him because he was always shitting on everything and anything not Miami.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 10:53 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Agreed. But the cost is still likely to be reasonable, proportionally speaking, even if it were only borne by locals.

A quick Google search yielded a value of nearly a trillion US dollars for the sum of the value of Miami real estate, and I suspect it's only the figure for what's within city limits. If everyone donates pocket change, there will still be several billions to play with; if everyone donates an amount that starts to be noticeable, then that's even more billions.

Also, Tallahassee would have an incentive to contribute financially, and for that matter, the Feds as well, so even in the most fair scenario, it's a good investment for taxpayers in general.
Actually it could be a large percentage of that trillion. Houses can be put on stilts at a cost low enough to keep them. But comercial properties will need large-scale reconstruction once cheap fixes no longer keep the seawater away. Not to mention infrastructure.

Miami will always exist. But there will be enormous cost impacts for both governments and anyone who wants to live/work there. At some point it'll shrink.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 3:24 AM

In the case where Miami does create solutions to rising sea waters, and in the scenario where it'll eventually flood over or thwart any solution. Wouldn't most cities in the world by that time also be affected by that severe of a climate outcome? Most coastal cities, not only Miami, will face the blunt while the intense heat, extreme weather, and other irreversible damages will be a concern for many other cities not only coastal cities. While not really a climate change issue, but accelerated by it, groundwater extraction and the phenomenon of land subsidence will see cities sinking multiple mm-cm in the coming years.

We already see cities like Tianjin sinking an average 5.22 cm a year, Houston 1.95 cm a year.

While it's great to focus on Miami as it shows how people care about its future and the prosperity of the city, other cities are also being affected in many worse ways than Miami is.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
In the case where Miami does create solutions to rising sea waters, and in the scenario where it'll eventually flood over or thwart any solution. Wouldn't most cities in the world by that time also be affected by that severe of a climate outcome? Most coastal cities, not only Miami, will face the blunt while the intense heat, extreme weather, and other irreversible damages will be a concern for many other cities not only coastal cities. While not really a climate change issue, but accelerated by it, groundwater extraction and the phenomenon of land subsidence will see cities sinking multiple mm-cm in the coming years.

We already see cities like Tianjin sinking an average 5.22 cm a year, Houston 1.95 cm a year.

While it's great to focus on Miami as it shows how people care about its future and the prosperity of the city, other cities are also being affected in many worse ways than Miami is.
I don't think there are that many cities that will be more affected than Miami. It was built in swamp by the ocean. It's a very difficult situation as they don't have many feasible option to avoid the problems they're facing.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I don't think there are that many cities that will be more affected than Miami. It was built in swamp by the ocean. It's a very difficult situation as they don't have many feasible option to avoid the problems they're facing.
There's nothing they can so sadly. When living on SoBe, I saw the whole street raising level project as a "solution" to flooding.

$200M became $600M+, the pumps last 12 years and the streets and businesses 2ft below grade still flood and get damaged. Imagine seeing 4 years of planning and construction, only to see it fail time and time again. Power outage? The generators don't function and the flooding gets worse.

Then you have the porous limestone and salt water seeping from underground onto the streets, into homes, into fresh water sources (this is the big one people often gloss over). Building foundations weakening due to the salt water, salt levels in the air and PH levels.

Septic tanks in Miami are failing and backing up...

Meanwhile people on forums (for the most part) are boasting Miami as some "utopia", city of the future.

Yet you factor what I said and witnessed, what others have said, climate change risks, how the city bends the knee for the ultra wealthy, how 80% of locals live paycheque to paycheque, how the city lacks transportation, walkability, mobility. The city is corrupt to the core and the fascination of crypto vs the wellbeing of citizens is the cherry on top. It's an inefficient and risky model to operate on, but sadly the future of America is what you see in Florida, paraphrasing Corben here.

At this point, who cares how many skyscrapers are proposed or U/C, when you can't even manage sunny day flooding or a simple rain storm

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 7:30 PM

Besides climate change issues, which is a serious issue to outline. I really don't see why the other issues you listed are special to Miami. 80% living paycheck to paycheck? I haven't seen that statistic anywhere but if you have it and it's exclusive to Miami please link it.

Are people claiming Miami to be the city of the future? I mean I can see some people say that, but I haven't really heard anyone say that. Especially since this thread shows the opposite of people's opinion on the future and outlook of Miami.

The city's lacking transportation, mobility, and an overall lack of urbanism is a problem almost any other city in America faces. Besides Boston, NYC, Washington DC, Toronto (although not an American city), and a few other cities, most of America shares the same urban planning as Miami. Climate change is an issue Miami will need to face over the years and will need to overcome, but all the issues you listed seems really unfair and not exclusive to Miami.

I don't see Miami putting crypto over the well-being of citizens either. Yes, the government of Miami does have a fascination with crypto, but you can have an interest in crypto and still care about your citizens.

Quote:
Residents of US beach city Miami may soon get cryptocurrency MiamiCoin in their crypto wallets for free. Miami city mayor Francis Suarez announced on Twitter that the city will share some of the gains from the city's cryptocurrency with all its citizens and will distribute payments through digital wallets.
I think it's fair to say corruption exists in Miami, but it certainly does in many other cities also. This isn't meant to bash any other cities as each city is beautiful in its own ways, but there's a serious bias showing.

https://indianexpress.com/article/te...ong-residents/

Last edited by Altoic; Aug 21, 2022 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
I really don't see why the other issues you listed are special to Miami. 80% living paycheck to paycheck? I haven't seen that statistic anywhere but if you have it and it's exclusive to Miami please link it.
As a magnet for outsiders who've earned their money elsewhere, it's very logical that the local wages vs property prices ratio would be particularly bad. (Vancouver is even worse, for the same reasons as Miami plus it's much easier to bring foreign cash to Canada than to the US.)

You also can witness this phenomenon at the national level, with places like Asheville, NC where locals are mostly shut out of the market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions