HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 4:01 PM

There is a big ad in today's Times & Transcript announcing a Hyatt Place job fair. Multiple job positions are listed. It runs from July 28 - 30 and it's at 255 Halifax Street.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 2:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new Hyatt Place Hotel is transformative for the west end of Main Street beyond the subway. I drove by there the other evening, and they had all the exterior lights on the building facade lit up. It looked very nice.

Now that the sidewalk, landscaping and brickwork is complete, we can have a full appreciation for what this building means for the streetscape leading up to the Avenir Centre.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 5:42 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Now something needs done to the street level retail at the Crown Plaza...yuck.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Now something needs done to the street level retail at the Crown Plaza...yuck.
I couldn't agree more, it's old and dated. And it's an even more prime piece of real estate now with all the development happening around it. I don't know if the property is even on the owners radar for redevelopment, but it would be great to see it happen.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 6:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I couldn't agree more, it's old and dated. And it's an even more prime piece of real estate now with all the development happening around it. I don't know if the property is even on the owners radar for redevelopment, but it would be great to see it happen.
Not much point in short term revamping the property if the medium to long term goal is for redevelopment.

This fact makes me wonder if the Aquillini's actually do have any plans for the Crowne Plaza block. If their intent were to keep with the status quo (more or less), then you would think they would have spruced up the retail plaza a little since they have revamped the interior of the Crowne Plaza.

Another thing is that they demolished that rickety parking structure behind the hotel in favour of surface parking. Again, you would think the natural inclination would be to rebuild a new parking structure as a replacement. Since they didn't, is this another indication that they have larger plans for the whole block; plans that would include a larger and more integrated parking structure down the road???

Hmmmm..........

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 9:14 PM

Beautiful new hotel for sure. Two thumbs up!
Glaring in their omission, however, are the missing trees the city promised to replace after some people raised a stink when they removed the leafy hardwoods to make it easier to build the hotel.
Perhaps they didn't specify what century they would replace them. Or maybe they planted some trees elsewhere in the city to make up for Main Street hardwoods.
I'm really not a big tree hugger. I am big, however, on having a bit less pave and concrete and a few more trees lining the downtown streets providing greenery and shade.
I'm also not a fan of politicians making idle promises to ticked-off taxpaying voters just to make them go away. I hope that's not what's going on here.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Beautiful new hotel for sure. Two thumbs up!
Glaring in their omission, however, are the missing trees the city promised to replace after some people raised a stink when they removed the leafy hardwoods to make it easier to build the hotel.
Perhaps they didn't specify what century they would replace them. Or maybe they planted some trees elsewhere in the city to make up for Main Street hardwoods.
I'm really not a big tree hugger. I am big, however, on having a bit less pave and concrete and a few more trees lining the downtown streets providing greenery and shade.
I'm also not a fan of politicians making idle promises to ticked-off taxpaying voters just to make them go away. I hope that's not what's going on here.
I was wondering about those trees too...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Not much point in short term revamping the property if the medium to long term goal is for redevelopment.

This fact makes me wonder if the Aquillini's actually do have any plans for the Crowne Plaza block. If their intent were to keep with the status quo (more or less), then you would think they would have spruced up the retail plaza a little since they have revamped the interior of the Crowne Plaza.

Another thing is that they demolished that rickety parking structure behind the hotel in favour of surface parking. Again, you would think the natural inclination would be to rebuild a new parking structure as a replacement. Since they didn't, is this another indication that they have larger plans for the whole block; plans that would include a larger and more integrated parking structure down the road???

Hmmmm..........
Good points. You'd think that they wouldn't purchase the whole block unless they had plans for it. Of course a company on the level of Aquilini could sit on the property for a long time. Looking at their web-site, it's clear that they are more than capable of creating a signature development on this property.

I wonder how long they'll leave Moncton on the back burner? It would be major news if we got an announcement from them.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
I was wondering about those trees too...
I noticed today that they've planted one tree. More to come?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:
I noticed today that they've planted one tree. More to come?
Not sure if I missed it yesterday, but saw 2 trees in the Main St. flower bed while driving by today. And last night the exterior lights were on, and I have to say the place looked pretty sharp.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have been advised by a source that a truck carrying the signage for the Hyatt Place Hotel is parked outside the building. It will be interesting to see if installation is imminent (I imagine it is).

It will also be interesting to see if the Carrabbas Italian Grill signage is installed at the same time.........

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 6:05 PM

Looking at the Moncton City webcam for the Avenir Center you can see the installation of the signage happening now.

Think I might give Carrabba's a couple of weeks before I try it out. I'm thinking it's going to be very busy when it opens.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 7:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo just taken showing sign installation in progress:

I note with interest that Moncton now has it's very own palm tree, planted next to the Resurgo monument on the plaza in front of the Avenir Centre. No doubt the palm tree is enjoying our current heat wave. It'll be interesting to see how it feels about it's new home in February............

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Photo just taken showing sign installation in progress:

I note with interest that Moncton now has it's very own palm tree, planted next to the Resurgo monument on the plaza in front of the Avenir Centre. No doubt the palm tree is enjoying our current heat wave. It'll be interesting to see how it feels about it's new home in February............

There are actually quite a few cold hardy palms that can survive in temperature as cold as 5-15 Fahrenheit. I’m sure the city has thought about which ones would work and had an arborist that knows how to take care of them.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 8:24 PM

Has there been any announcement as to when Hyatt Place or Carrabba's will be opening? Apparently they've been hiring staff.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 1:21 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good photo from Retail Talk & Share showing completed sign installation:

Carrabbas signage however is not installed yet. I presume this will happen closer to the opening date.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 3:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another photo from Retail Talk & Share from the same angle showing the nighttime lighting pattern for the Hyatt Place Hotel

Combine this with the lighting pattern at the Avenir Centre across the street during event nights, and this will easily be the most impressive intersection in the city after dark.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Another photo from Retail Talk & Share from the same angle showing the nighttime lighting pattern for the Hyatt Place Hotel

Combine this with the lighting pattern at the Avenir Centre across the street during event nights, and this will easily be the most impressive intersection in the city after dark.
Agree. Looking at the Hyatt again tonight all lit up, it's pretty sharp looking. And a couple of times within the last few days, I've noticed several people in the plaza later at night. Some guys were throwing a football around, there must have been at least 10 of them. It's good to see the plaza becoming popular. It's a really nice space. Now if Aquilini Group would only.......... oops, never mind.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Has there been any announcement as to when Hyatt Place or Carrabba's will be opening? Apparently they've been hiring staff.
Ad in the paper today for a Carrabba's job fair next Monday and Tuesday.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Ad in the paper today for a Carrabba's job fair next Monday and Tuesday.
Looks like a lot of work happening at Carrabba's today. The front doors were wide open and a big delivery of something being moved in by several workers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces