HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 3:41 AM

"Vancouver Especially" art installation by Ken Lum on Union Street

I just happened to be walking along Union Street today in Vancouver's Chinatown and came upon the opening of a new art installation by Ken Lum (he's the artist that created the cross shaped EAST/VAN sign that you see from the Skytrain on your way to Commercial from downtown). His new creation here is a little Vancouver Special house. I think most people there were delighted by it. The attention to detail really caught my eye. You can see this at 271 Union Street (near Gore). More info here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tate-1.2965892

All pics are mine, Feb.21 '15.

^^^ Artistic statement transcribed:

Feb 21, 2015 - Feb 19, 2016
Vancouver Especially ( A Vancouver Special scaled to it's property value in 1973, then increased by 8 fold)
Ken Lum

Kenneth Robert Lum (born 1956) is a Canadian artist born in Vancouver, British Columbia and resides in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Working in a number of media including painting, sculpture and photography, his art ranges from conceptual in orientation to representational in character and is generally concerned with issues of identity in relation to the categories of language, portraiture and spatial politics.

The installation is a 1 : 3 scale replica of a mass-produced, Vancouver architectural style of homes known as the "Vancouver Special", popularized from 1965 to 1985 with an estimated 10,000 homes built. The scale of the artwork is determined by the $45,000 production budget, comparable to the value of a Vancouver Special in the 1970s. If one were to buy a Vancouver Special with that budget today, it would be tiny (see the small relief in the platform for the actual scale); thus, the artwork was multiplied eightfold. Despite it's diminutive presence, the artwork would be most appropriately considered an enlargement of accepted value.

Toward an Architecture of Pre-Displacement
The Vancouver Special as a housing typology is unique not simply because of it's characteristically "box-like" structure, low pitched roofs and balconies that cut across the house, but also because they were designed and built without architects. What does it mean to make a city without architects?

In the 1980s, Vancouver city council implemented a socio-economic policy called Living First, putting in place measures to slow the construction of Vancouver Specials and turn towards urban densification, primarily through condominiums ---thin 25 to 35-storey concrete-and-glass residential towers atop a base of commercial storefronts. In contrast to the gradual proliferation of individual Vancouver Specials (which offered homeowners a certain amount of control through the application of ad-hoc embellishments to individualize their homes), the podium-style towers, now ubiquitous in Vancouver, were largely precipitated by a single sale of 8 million square feet of city land to Hong Kong-based billionaire Li Ka Shing, after Expo '86, in exchange for the promise of a regulated urban master plan.

City Builder
"It's easier to build a city than urban life"
-Mario Gaviria

Increasing the downtown core's population from 20,000 to over 100,000, the master planning efforts managed to reverse the sub-urban sprawl common in North American cities. The new density coupled with a hyperactive real estate market resulted in accelerated increases in property value. Living First, with it's podium-style towers and heavy design restrictions, galvanized enough world interest to earn the moniker 'Vancouverism'. While lauded as a global model, local architecture critics regard the towers as banal, vertical "gated communities" devoid of architectural variation or contextual awareness. Like the Vancouver Special, the podium tower model isn't designed by architects, but by urban planners and developers that arc towards an ideology of globalization, where notions of 'livability' are flattened into a global metric. Vancouver is consistently listed as one of the most livable places and one of the most unaffordable places in the world---a perverse marker of success for investors who make money from the struggles of affordability.

Master Planner
Urban Planners used the master plan as a functionalist approach to the city; modelled on the 'average' human, where the mathematics of density in relation to social-good was highly considered, employing deterministic formulas of percentage for allowable commercial space, leisure space, social housing, child-care facilities, public art and even including well-calibrated sight lines to maximize on the view of the Rocky Mountains. But the city's adoption of Living First, and the legacy of it's socioeconomic mathematics, has led Vancouver, an impressively multi-ethnic city into a monocultural architectural logic of investment. The de-centering of the city from a well meaning (although Eurocentric) functionalism towards the excesses of an investment market has given wealthy visible minorities an opportunity to amass capital in Vancouver bringing about renewed anti-Asian sentiment and Canadian-European claims to dominance.

Here on this site we remember Eurocentric histories, an open wound stemming from settlers in the late 19th century (whose validity is till popularly glorified and falsely granted), who violently took this land from pre-existing communities of the indigenous Squamish (Skwxwsi7mesh) people. We also remember an ethnically-diverse community---often identified as the largest black community in Vancouver, located just across the street---destroyed in 1972 to make room for the Georgia Viaduct off-ramp. And we can easily remember the new developments in the neighbourhood, which have proudly misappropriated Chinese motifs and sayings---such as the 'Ginger' condominium's grammatically charged marketing tag-line "Some like it hot. You like it spicy.", or the Westbank development, which during it's pre-sales marketing dwarfed the neighbourhood by covering a half-city-block with massive red letters reading "Ni Hao" ('Hello' in Mandarin Pinyin), welcoming only those with money. The pressure on Vancouver's development industry to deliver third-party social-good has little bearing on the lived experience of the people who will soon be displaced, and instead exacerbates an unqualified and highly problematic 'soft' preservation of Chinatown.

With city plans underway for the replacement of the Georgia and Dunsmuir Viaducts across the street for what will likely continue Vancouver's monocultural trajectory, Lum's Vancouver Especially gives us the ability to imagine an insubordinate architecture of the future by looking to the past.

Curated by Brian McBay

Last edited by mcminsen; Feb 22, 2015 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 3:25 PM

Great piece, but god, I hate Vancouver Specials. I hope it doesn't get vandalized there.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 3:49 PM

It would make me happy if all the vancouver specials would be destroyed!
And I never understood why so many houses here have those dumb fences around them

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 5:44 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I love how when you look very close it's all scuzzy like a real house of that age.
I think vandalism would be ok as long as it's in the same scale

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 6:08 PM

I have never been inside one, but I doubt they are any more "special" inside than they look from the outside. Bulldozer is the only thing that can fix a Vancouver Special.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 6:25 PM

"Urban Planners used the master plan as a functionalist approach to the city.....including well-calibrated sight lines to maximize on the view of the Rocky Mountains.

The piece is great though. I love the idea

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment