HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Franchise System = Owner & Arena > Fanbase
obviously an arena and ownership would be required , not sure how that affects whether or not a city could support a franchise if those were in place I think those two thing are a given?????

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:44 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
obviously an arena and ownership would be required , not sure how that affects whether or not a city could support a franchise if those were in place I think those two thing are a given?????
For Halifax? Currently there's no owner, or suitable arena, and the fanbase size is suspect at this point.

Give it 25 years.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:48 AM

Edmonton is playing Phoenix tonight in an arena that's only 2/3rds full, it's sad.

Phoenix is only averaging 12,000 so far this season.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:37 AM
Unregistered Loser

NHL in Halifax may seem a bit far fetched, but Halifax is in a state of figuring out what it wants to become in the future. 5-10 years go by really fast. I'd attend several games in a season if you had a team.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 1:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
For Halifax? Currently there's no owner, or suitable arena, and the fanbase size is suspect at this point.

Give it 25 years.
Agreed.

I wish Halifax well as far as the NHL is concerned, and if you guys ever get a team I would certainly consider driving down several times per year to catch a game.

but

- The Metro Centre is a non-starter and there is no way that I could see how it could be upgraded to NHL standards. With the new WTCC under construction, you could knock down the old one (as well as the current Metro Centre) and build fresh on that site, but that would be a very expensive proposition (say $400M or so). Is this financially viable?
- Who would form the ownership group? It seems to me we would have enough trouble coming up with an ownership group for a CFL team let alone an NHL team. There is almost an order of magnitude of difference in terms of cost and risk between the CFL and NHL. Who do you think would take this on?
- Is there a fan base in Halifax large enough to buy 12,000 (or so) season's tickets at inflated NHL prices. It is the gate that drives the success of most NHL franchises and you can't rely on game day ticket sales. You need season's ticket holders filling about 80% of the seats. Are there enough interested people in HRM who are wealthy enough to purchase these tickets?

All good questions.....

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
The NHL expansion of the 1990s was in the aim of getting a national TV deal in the states, which Florida would play a big part of. The Pac-NW, at the time, still had the Sonics, and there was no owner for a franchise. There was, and still is, an owner for the Panthers. In the North American franchise system locations aren't picked because of where they are or how big they are, but whether or not there is an owner and a fanbase. I imagine we'll be seeing a team in Seattle within 10 years now that there is interest and a new rink being built. If you don't like teams in certain places being in the league I guess that would make you a bigger fan of the club & association system rather than the franchise system of sport structure.
Yep. That's why I had a big problem when they switched the names of the divisions from the old Patrick/Norris/etc. system. It's also why I went from a big hockey fan once upon a time to a casual viewer (these days, if that).

Quote:
Anaheim can call themselves whatever they like. They clearly don't have a problem with their name and neither do their fans. Do you feel the same about the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles in the MLB? I don't see what difference it makes if they're called Anaheim, or Los Angeles, or whatever else they like. Does it really bother you that much?
Actually, it's the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, who were so proud of that name that everyone called them that for years and years... oh wait, except they didn't. They were just called the LA Angels. When I was growing up, if you said "Hey look, I got the new card of Reggie Jackson with the Anaheim Angels!" nobody would have known what you were talking about. In fact, if you look at the history, the name changes have to mostly do with Disney (again).

Does it bother me that much? Well I'm not out protesting in the street if that's what you mean. Does it mean that much to you for me to post a different opinion?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:32 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilan8888 View Post
Yep. That's why I had a big problem when they switched the names of the divisions from the old Patrick/Norris/etc. system. It's also why I went from a big hockey fan once upon a time to a casual viewer (these days, if that).

Does it bother me that much? Well I'm not out protesting in the street if that's what you mean. Does it mean that much to you for me to post a different opinion?
My contention is that it seems as though you're a fan of the brand that the NHL markets and not actually a hockey fan at all, because if you were a hockey fan you'd watch for the sport regardless and not for what teams are called or what divisions they play under.

That's all.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:22 PM

If that's the case, why would I care about the re-naming of the divisions? I should prefer the new names instead of the old. Do I care for a brand? Sure -- if you want to define it that way: but that's not the one that's marketed today.

My contention would be that you didn't like my opinion, and so you've used some the ol' passive-aggression to justify what you're feeling. Unfortunate.

That's all.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:53 PM

Downtown is not the ideal place for the new stadium that would be required IF the NHL was ever to come to Halifax.

Parking and traffic on any night when there is something on at the Metro Centre is a nightmare now, and that is in its current configuration, imagine if there were 5000-7000 more people trying to get to a game, especially if they were from out of town and not familiar with the city.

Anyways, it's a moot point. As much as I want to see it, the NHL wont be here for a LONG time. There are markets way ahead on the list, plus the current management of the NHL is much more focused on the USA than Canada (as wrong as that is).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
SSE will attempt to host NHL Heritage Classic — if Halifax builds CFL stadium

BY ALEXANDER QUON GLOBAL NEWS
Posted November 6, 2019 5:49 pm

The organization attempting to bring a CFL franchise to Halifax says they are prepared to submit a bid to host an NHL Heritage Classic game in Halifax if city council votes to approve the construction of a CFL stadium.

“Immediately after a [successful] vote… we will send in a bid for a Heritage Classic game,” Anthony LeBlanc, founding partner of Schooners Sports and Entertainment (SSE), told Global News on Wednesday in a phone interview.

“[An event like the Heritage Classic] illustrates the potential benefits of a stadium of that size.”

Discussions about hosting an NHL Heritage Classic game in Halifax began a year ago, LeBlanc said
Read more here:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6135914/s...assic-halifax/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:27 PM

And if that's successful, then the next step is an NHL team in Halifax. All that would be required is a larger arena, or modifications to the Metro... errr... Scotiabank Centre.

Should be no problem as we are already going to get a stadium, this would be the next logical step.

Uhhh... oh yeah... the stadium...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:34 PM

Halifax won't get an NHL team lol, it's way too small. I love the idea of it, but can that city consistently fill 16-18000 seats 41+ nights year over year? Quebec City and Hamilton will both have NHL before Halifax does, shit I bet BC gets another team first.

Lets see how Halifax does with CFL for a few years before we up the ante.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think OldDartmouthMark was being facetious.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:39 PM

I would guess 2030's Halifax will looking at an NHL team, with some team owners possibly being Crosby, Marchand and Mackinnon.

I also think if Winnipeg can do it, Halifax is not far behind. Hockey is king around here and people would live in a tent as long as they had season tickets to an NHL team.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Halifax won't get an NHL team lol, it's way too small. I love the idea of it, but can that city consistently fill 16-18000 seats 41+ nights year over year?
Currently 9 NHL teams don't meet your requirements...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:34 PM

Yeah and it amazes me that can make money. Throw a weak Canadian dollar in there and you have a major money loser. Ottawa won't be able to keep going like this, the Senators may become Quebec City's new team.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think an NHL team could easily get 16,000 people per game in Halifax. But there is no suitable arena and the broadcasting and merchandising would be worth very little since the region only has around 2.5 million people and already follows other teams. The fact that many Maritimers are NHL fans even without a team is not much of a benefit.

As far as the stadium goes, it's just a reality that there are a bunch of events that can't be hosted in Halifax because there is no venue suitable. And Halifax is one of the worst cities in North America in terms of city size and importance vs. stadium facilities. There are small towns in the US with nicer stadiums than what Halifax has. This angle is often downplayed in stadium debates in Halifax, and cost and risk are all that are discussed, probably mostly because the people writing the news stories don't like stadiums or sports much. The city is happy to spend on many other areas.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
When I had seen the Heritage Classic game in Regina on TV a few weeks ago in their new stadium, I was thinking how great it would be to have this in Halifax. If they can do it why can't Halifax, a city twice the size of Regina.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:24 PM
ハルウララ

SSE holding this carrot on a string with an NHL outdoor game is a bit offensive IMO - they have no guarantees from anyone at the NHL that they're even on the path to such an event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
When I had seen the Heritage Classic game in Regina on TV a few weeks ago in their new stadium, I was thinking how great it would be to have this in Halifax. If they can do it why can't Halifax, a city twice the size of Regina.
The simple answer to your question is because Regina has a stadium that seats 30K+ and Halifax doesn't. Halifax also doesn't have a tenant for such a facility.

You could theoretically host an NHL outdoor game at Wanderer Grounds for a crowd of 10K or so but the economics wouldn't make much sense for the NHL i'd imagine. The optics would be great but the raw gameday economics less so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Yeah and it amazes me that can make money. Throw a weak Canadian dollar in there and you have a major money loser. Ottawa won't be able to keep going like this, the Senators may become Quebec City's new team.
Ottawa won't be relocating to Quebec City. The NHL gains nothing by doing so.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I think OldDartmouthMark was being facetious.
Yes I was! Thanks for bringing it to light!

It would be cool to have an NHL team here, don't get me wrong, but we need a facility... and with some of our councilors not only refusing to support a stadium, but going to great lengths to try to stop the process before complete analysis is done, the chances of getting an NHL-grade arena that is in any way supported by the city is zero to none.

Maybe with a little more population growth, we could consider it someday (when new progressive-thinking councilors are in place), but in the past we struggled to support 2 different AHL teams, so NHL is a bit of a stretch IMHO. I will say the QMJHL seems to be just right for the current Halifax market... lots of support for the Mooseheads here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment