HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

View Poll Results: Should the Skating Oval be made permnament?
Yes 25 78.13%
No 6 18.75%
Don't Know and/or Care 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:20 AM
we built this city

Lol, sorry for posting the CBC story in the wrong thread. See: General News and Updates

Is the bolded part above simply a case of trolling. Most of the people who comment on the CBC website are clueless, but I mean, why would anybody think the oval is in BL?

Regardless of whether or not I agree with everybody, its safe to say that SSP Halifax has a much more informed/intelligent group of posters.

CBC needs to disable the comments, either people are morons or its overrun with trolls. (See wikipedia defintion for troll if you don't get the reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Lol, sorry for posting the CBC story in the wrong thread. See: General News and Updates

Is the bolded part above simply a case of trolling. Most of the people who comment on the CBC website are clueless, but I mean, why would anybody think the oval is in BL?

Regardless of whether or not I agree with everybody, its safe to say that SSP Halifax has a much more informed/intelligent group of posters.

CBC needs to disable the comments, either people are morons or its overrun with trolls. (See wikipedia defintion for troll if you don't get the reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
The poster from the CBC article above clearly is clueless and is confusing the Canada Games Oval (and its free recreation in an area quite close to many urban "at risk" youth) with the Canada Games Centre (and its $990/year family membership pricetag) they built in Clayton Park West...

Last edited by terrynorthend; Mar 30, 2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:40 AM
we built this city

$990 a year for a family doesn't seem crazy to me, that's only 82.50 a month.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 1:03 AM

I saw his comments but it wasn't worth trying to post something else to respond. He's clearly an idiot.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 1:32 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think the commons (especially that particular location) are an excellent location for a skating oval. It does not take away from the green space as far as I'm concerned, and will make the commons a little less "cold" and lonely in the wintertime. Also, if I'm not mistaken, aren't they planning on a beach volleyball facility in the middle of the oval for summertime use, as well as the oval doing double duty for in-line skating?

You can't just reserve the commons for dog walking and ball diamonds. It has to be more than this to feel alive. The commons are a treasure for the central peninsula. They should be developed for all forms of recreational purposes.

Some people will just oppose anything, I think Beverly Miller is one of them......
I have to agree. During the summer, the oval could be used for street hockey (no cars to avoid), basketball courts could be drawn on concrete sections with basketball hoops installed along the edge adjacent to the grass, it could be used for bicycles, maybe tennis courts, etc., etc, etc..

Part of the Commons was used for a skateboard park, so why not a skating oval? None of this space in irreversibly lost - if people tire of either of these facilities in the future then these facilities can be removed and the space can be reclaimed.

In the case of the Oval, I hope the Heritage Trust and other special interest groups will oppose it. Because of the popularity of the Oval so far, maybe these groups will be exiled out of the HRM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:05 PM

Part of the report that went to council (which I was happy to see) was staff thinking about how it could be used in the summer. If memory serves me correctly, they were planning to turf the middle for 'extreme frisbee' and then had talked about using the concrete oval surface for rollerblading.

Either way, I was glad to see that they were thinking beyond what could using the space for winter!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
In the case of the Oval, I hope the Heritage Trust and other special interest groups will oppose it. Because of the popularity of the Oval so far, maybe these groups will be exiled out of the HRM.
Looks like you get your wish. Found this through the CBC website...
http://halifaxcommon.ca/news_updates.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 12:27 AM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 10:43 AM

While I think the oval is a great idea, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the execution (in advance!).

The Common seems to have a pretty fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants planning and design application. Perhaps this is the ideal place for such an oval (though I admit I find it hard to wipe the image of a skating surface in grand parade, with the necessary mechanical equipment housed in the hollow space beneath), but it all just seems under-planned and very patched together.

I would love to see a coherent design for the WHOLE Common. If that included an oval in an integrated way, then I could be convinced. Until then, I feel that the city (rightly) sensed that outdoor recreation in the heart of the city could advance the quality of life for residents and add an intangible flair to the pulse of the city from the loud and clear public opinion, and made the fastest (not best) decision possible, and is now just waiting for a pat on the head.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 4:35 PM

I count eight ball fields still remaining on that piece of land. That seems a very limited use of 'common' land. The oval will provide a nice alternative to baseball.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 7:09 PM

Kinda looks like a football field..

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 8:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There are a few problems that have led to this situation. One is that public space is considered inherently good by many regardless of whether or not it has a well-defined use. Many people have demanded that the waterfront be "public space", for example, without even being able to clearly articulate what it should be used for, let alone how it will be paid for. This attitude is bad for the city. Unused public space is no better than unused private space!

Unfortunately we also have a disorganized council that isn't willing to invest enough in the core to maintain its surplus of recreational land. The North Common is one of the worst victims of bad planning and it goes back many years. For example, see the hideous public washroom structure built a few years ago near Armoury Square.

There are cities that have good, functional parks the size of the North Common but they've carefully managed them in a coherent way or overhauled them by spending tens of millions of dollars.

Chicago's Millennium Park is essentially a "premium" park around the same size that serves approximately the same purpose as the North Common (Millennium Park has a pavilion for outdoor concerts for example) and it cost $475M to develop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Park

That would not be feasible in Halifax but it puts things into perspective.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 6:25 PM

Found this thanks to -Harlington-, taken this month.

http://visionairservices.smugmug.com...8_JZG7mS2-A-LB

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 1:43 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

From cbc.ca/ns Naming Rights

Negotiations continue on what to name the Halifax skating oval.

Regional council will hear recommendations from staff at a private session later this month.

Dr. John Gillis, spokesman for Save the Oval, wouldn't be surprised if there was more than one name.

"I think what you'll see is one group may get naming rights on one part of the project and the other will get naming rights on a different part," Gillis told CBC News.

Council agreed to spend $4 million this year to build the oval on the Halifax Common, and $400,000 to run it.

The decision was made in March, after Emera pledged $500,000 and Molson Coors promised $400,000 in support of the Canada Winter Games oval that was so popular with residents.

Coun. Gloria McCluskey has already voiced her concerns about advertising by alcohol companies.

"Those of us who are here today are not in favour of Molson being the sponsor for the oval," she said at a recent conference.

Gillis doesn't share her view. He points out that advertising for Moosehead beer is displayed at the municipally owned Halifax Metro Centre.

"What I support is a facility that's going to bring year-round physical activity and community spirit in the context of something that our laws permit," Gillis said. "We certainly support Molson's involvement."

The skating oval is expected to be ready by Christmas.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Coun. Gloria McCluskey has already voiced her concerns about advertising by alcohol companies.

"Those of us who are here today are not in favour of Molson being the sponsor for the oval," she said at a recent conference.
Laughable. Council is a joke. We are talking Molson here... their name is literally on everything in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Laughable. Council is a joke. We are talking Molson here... their name is literally on everything in Canada.
Exactly - who cares?! It' not like people are going to be drinking AT the oval.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 2:07 PM
Fizzix geek

Brewer's bid to name oval loses fizz

I was so f'ing pissed when I read this this morning in ANS. Basically our esteemed 127 year old councillor from Dartmouth seems to have decided to push her prohibition agenda and got others to buy in, leaving taxpayers to pick up the $400,000 extra in costs.

God knows that seeing the name Molson is going to cause 8 year olds to drink. Next on her agenda: rename our hockey team the "Halifax Elks".

Quote:
The beer giant was narrowly edged out of rink naming rights Tuesday by regional councillors during an in camera session. They voted 12-11 against Molson Coors’ $400,000 pledge.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...val-loses-fizz

November 24, 2011 - 6:51pm By EVA HOARE Staff Reporter

Last edited by beyeas; Nov 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 7:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Glad to see we have such an upstanding council -- always willing to go that extra mile and waste whatever it takes!

Now let's focus on something more wholesome like maybe a wholly municipally-funded quadruple arena for Musquodoboit or a $20M bingo hall for Prospect.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I was so f'ing pissed when I read this this morning in ANS. Basically our esteemed 127 year old councillor from Dartmouth seems to have decided to push her prohibition agenda and got others to buy in, leaving taxpayers to pick up the $400,000 extra in costs.

God knows that seeing the name Molson is going to cause 8 year olds to drink. Next on her agenda: rename our hockey team the "Halifax Elks".
I'm staying literally next door to BC Place and what has essentially been ground zero for the entire Grey Cup weekend party. I shudder to think of the THOUSANDS OF POOR DEFENSELESS CHILDREN HERE THAT HAVE BEEN TRAUMATIZED BY THE PRESENCE OF ALCOHOLIC SPONSORSHIP AT A SPORTING EVENT (beer AND whiskey, at that). To say nothing of the all-ages music stage that was sponsored by a gambling website.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I'm staying literally next door to BC Place and what has essentially been ground zero for the entire Grey Cup weekend party. I shudder to think of the THOUSANDS OF POOR DEFENSELESS CHILDREN HERE THAT HAVE BEEN TRAUMATIZED BY THE PRESENCE OF ALCOHOLIC SPONSORSHIP AT A SPORTING EVENT (beer AND whiskey, at that). To say nothing of the all-ages music stage that was sponsored by a gambling website.
Agreed - or those who attend regular hockey/football games and have their parents downing a beer or three...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment