HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Coun. Steve Streatch said he can't back the McCartney concert, pointing to the British musician's protest of the Atlantic Canadian seal hunt a couple of years ago.
Wow big surprise, another whack job in council.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
If not, then I think it becomes a bigger question of what is an appropriate use of the Commons and does that include concerts?
Boy it's a shame we didn't take on that question for our MPLAN project

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 11:12 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
the fact is that its a short lived inconvienience that is a money maker for the city.
Er, moneymaker?

Let us examine this. Rolling Stones come to town - all the hotels were already full that weekend for the hockey game and the last weekend of the Atlantic Film Festival. The Spring Garden Road business association reported the worst week of sales all year that weekend, because people avoided downtown like the plague.

Finally, Sir Paul is going to walk out of Nova Scotia and take $5 million dollars with him to Bermuda or whatever off shore tax haven he stores his cash in.

Money maker? Please. Money maker for Power Promotions and a few suppliers and vendors, but that is all.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:19 PM

So are you contending that nobody came to the Rolling Stones concert that was not from Halifax already?

Or of those that did, none of them stayed in Hotels or ate anywhere or did anything other than go to the concert? They all packed thier own food, lived in hostels/relatives houses, and drove by car home without stopping for gas until they were out of metro?

And whatever Paul McCartney makes from his concert and what he does with it is irrelevant so I don't know why you're posting about it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 2:35 PM
Closed account

So none of the 50,000 people at the Stones' show spent any money that day outside of the fence around the commons?

It's not just direct spending either. Even local distributors who supplied the concert with random things like pepsi, coke, beer, hot dogs, hot dog buns, tents, etc all benefited.

Yes there is a good some of money that always filters its ways out of the local economy, but thats no different than any show, anywhere, ever.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
It's not just direct spending either. Even local distributors who supplied the concert with random things like pepsi, coke, beer, hot dogs, hot dog buns, tents, etc all benefited.
Good point. Irving Crane had something like 5 cranes on site to build the staging, I'm sure they made a pretty penny too.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:02 PM

Plus there's the non-financial benefits to the city...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:51 PM

What are you talking about? There's no such thing as non-financial benefits

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryscraper View Post
What are you talking about? There's no such thing as non-financial benefits
Are you implying that Halifax and Paul McCartney are 'friends with Benefits'?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 8:22 PM

I think it's kind of sad, that a former beatle is making one Canadian date,
and it happens to be in a smallish city,
relatively isolated from the major population center's of the county,
and yet there seems to be a strong NIMBY like Resistance to location with people then questioning the benefits of of such an event..(and like Chris said, the benefits are not just financal)..
man imagine the commons as the Central park of Halifax, if NY can hold mega concerts in a park in the heart of the city, why can't we?....
A boorish, loudmouthed Alberta business man once said to me, doing business in this Provence was impossible and very frustrating due to his perception that many in the local community had a suborn backwardness.
I was highly offended by this, as nova Scotia is now my home and I love the Provence and I have invested my future here. If I was to generalize, the people too.
In my mind the only real exampled I could think off that is in anyway similar to this is the HT.
But after reading the comments on the coast "like the way we bitch" it seems their a couple more People in town other than the HT that fit the bill

The PM concert is a chance of a life time for young Haligonian's who where born long after the 60's and 70's,
and Pm will defiantly not due any tours after the next couple of years, the window of opportunity is quickly closing and hey,
the NY harmonics(of whatever it's called) would hardly be the same if it was held in some field on the outskirts of Jersey, now would it?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 10:15 AM
opinionated so and so

I am not implying anything, I am speaking plainly.

No all that money did get spent, the questions are was the net balance of business up vs business that was down worth the $300k+ of taxpayers money that went into subsidizing the event.

And yes I am saying that not that many people from outside came.

And they only sold about 35K tickets. I know at least two companies that were comping the hell out of the show the day of the concert, giving tickets away to any warm body in downtown.

What I thought at the time was published as an op/ed piece in the Herald - link here - http://halifaxpolitics.ca/2006/09/25...-another-view/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 4:13 PM

Well I'm glad your now contributing to this site Waya,
not just writing into the paper.
We may not always agree, but there is no Doubt you have a very keen mind,
and offer an interesting perspective.
By any chance do you know if there is a specific site I could learn about the Magnetic Hill Statagy you mentioned?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 12:40 PM

article in the globe about the McCartney concert, and why Hali got it and the rest of Canada didn't....
those poor Upper Canadians...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 7:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
article in the globe about the McCartney concert, and why Hali got it and the rest of Canada didn't....
those poor Upper Canadians...
I'm sure they'll survive. The Roger's Centre/Air Canada Centre/Bell Centre/etc get more acts in a month then we do in a year.

So who all is going to McCartney?

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 12:38 AM
You talkin' to me?

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
I'm sure they'll survive. The Roger's Centre/Air Canada Centre/Bell Centre/etc get more acts in a month then we do in a year.

So who all is going to McCartney?

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Me too!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 3:50 PM

I'm not. Can't imagine he has much of a stage show. I'd need a spectacle in order to shell out for tickets. Besides, I have a friend that lives in that horrifying condo across from Armoury Villa with a balcony that looks out over the common. I suspect that we can just crack the door and listen if we want.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 5:37 PM

Crack the door? I'm pretty sure the only way you're NOT going to hear it from there, is to stick pointy things in your ears until you can't hear anything anymore.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment