HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 2:34 PM

here's an example of a small theatre done right:
http://www.cinecenta.com/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
these places should have a room with a digital projector in addition to film. Have one "feature" on the reels that plays the prime 9pm slot and fill the rest of the day with a rotation of indies, film fest favourites, cult classics, theme weekends and things like that - all running form the digital projector which makes it easy to switch movies in a matter of seconds.
Hello all, I'm a bit of a newbie to the forums, been reading them for a while, but only just signed up.

Anyway, The Movie Palace is a digital theatre.

And showing first-run movies is a relatively recent development--when it started, it showed a mix of 2nd run, independent and classic movies. The first time I went there I saw the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 12:26 AM
Hammer'd

Only movie I've seen there was Rocky Horror Picture Show on Halloween night about 2 years ago. It was a packed show and a lot of people had come in costume.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 6:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

Movie Palace will be showing the Star Trek movie in May. Watch out for the costumes and Klingons.

I'm so excited for the Star Trek movie, it's got great reviews.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Movie Palace will be showing the Star Trek movie in May.
Awesome news!! I will be there for sure.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Mountain Fella View Post
Hello all, I'm a bit of a newbie to the forums, been reading them for a while, but only just signed up.

Anyway, The Movie Palace is a digital theatre.

And showing first-run movies is a relatively recent development--when it started, it showed a mix of 2nd run, independent and classic movies. The first time I went there I saw the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night.
That's because when the Movie Palace first opened, it didn't have a 35mm projector. Everything was being shown off DVD. And while that may be digital, it is simply too low quality for a movie theatre.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 6:06 PM

I wish the word "digital" would go away. It's not synonymous with quality. It usually means worse than its analog counterpart, in this case film.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 6:21 PM

Digital just ruins what analog has perfected over the last 100 years all because people largely have no taste.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Digital just ruins what analog has perfected over the last 100 years all because people largely have no taste.
THANK YOU

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
I wish the word "digital" would go away. It's not synonymous with quality. It usually means worse than its analog counterpart, in this case film.

The high end digital projectors are on par with film. The 4K ones show a 4096×2160 pixel resolution. Problem is they cost $150,000.

That sure beats the 720 × 480 DVD.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
The high end digital projectors are on par with film. The 4K ones show a 4096×2160 pixel resolution. Problem is they cost $150,000.

That sure beats the 720 × 480 DVD.
Thanks for the tip but I'll keep my $20 slide projector that projects 35mm images that will blow your socks off. All using equipment that people threw in the garbage. Same goes for my audio gear.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 9:48 PM

Dale Barker via The Movie Palace's Facebook group:

"After nearly 6 years, The Movie Palace will be forced to close their doors this Thursday, Feb 3rd. Rather than dwell on the negative in our last week of shows, I wish to make a few things clear and present only the good. It is important for everyone to know that our closure was not from providing the best value in town or the lack of support from Hamiltonians. We far exceeded single screen expectations along with occasionally having greater attendance than the local multiplex. Your support over the years along with your kind compliments fed me & kept us going through all the hardships. The past 6 years have not been all bad. I have had the pleasure of entertaining thousands of people. I have provided young children with their first magical movie experience, with the older generation getting to relive theirs, all leaving with happy faces and a simple thank you. The Show is the thing. Thank you all."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 11:33 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
That's because when the Movie Palace first opened, it didn't have a 35mm projector. Everything was being shown off DVD. And while that may be digital, it is simply too low quality for a movie theatre.
From what I understood, Hollywood resisted releasing movies to theatres on DVD bc of pirating, much harder to dupe a reel of film.

Concession is one of Hamilton's best neighbourhoods. I hope it one day comes back as at theatre.

Last edited by realcity; Jan 31, 2011 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 3:48 PM

Welcome to The Zoetic
(Hamilton Mountain News, Mark Newman, Nov 27 2013)

The new owners of the old theatre building on Concession Street wanted a new name that reflects a living entity.

Say hello to The Zoetic.

“It means alive,” said Christena Hampson, who along with business partner Jeremy Major bought the former Movie/Music Palace last month. “We were looking for something that emulated what we wanted for the space, something alive and breathing.”

Hampson said the new name also reflects the multi-purposed entertainment centre they are looking to create.

“We did a lot of research for the name,” she said.

Hampson said the new name is slated to be posted on the windows of the theatre on Thursday and their new website is slated to go live the same day.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 2:23 PM

Hamilton Mountain theatre owners still passionate about the business
(Hamilton Mountain News, Mark Newman, Dec 31 2014)

More than a year after they purchased the building and added a few hundred thousand dollars worth of improvements, Jeremy Major and Christena Hampson remain committed to making The Zoetic Theatre on Concession Street into an arts and entertainment centre for Hamilton Mountain.

“We’re both still very excited and passionate about it, obsessed by it,” said Hampson. “We’re here for the long haul, that’s for sure.”

Hampson also runs Freedom Studios, a dance, film, acting and photography business on the Mountain while Major owns The Shooting Eye, a Mountain television and film production company.

Major said they have been offering about five live shows and movies each month since they acquired the old theatre building on Halloween 2013 and they plan to keep doing that in 2015.

“I think there is a bit of a thirst for what this theatre provides,” said Major, who replied “largely” when asked if their productions bring in enough revenue to pay the bills.

Major said they are trying to get the rights to a “well known” stage show that they hope to bring to The Zoetic next fall featuring local talent.

He would not reveal the name of the show.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 12:18 AM

‘We just want to make it through:' Concession St. businesses hurt by construction
(Hamilton Spectator, Meredith MacLeod, May 29 2015)

Two of Hamilton's central shopping districts are torn up, dusty and still open for business.

King Street through downtown Stoney Creek is getting new watermains, sidewalks and road reconstruction, while Concession Street on the Mountain is getting all that, plus sewers.

The $6.5-million King Street project, which also includes a rehabilitation of a bridge over Stoney Creek, began last month and is slated to be done in December. Concession Street reconstruction, budgeted at $12 million, started in March and will finish in December.

"Well, they do say there are two seasons in Hamilton: winter and construction," laughed Leo Santos, chair of the Concession Street BIA and owner of Papa Leo's restaurant....

The Concession Street construction stretches about two kilometres from Upper Wellington to Upper Sherman. As of Monday, the stretch between Upper Wellington and Upper Wentworth is closed, except to local traffic. It will remain that way until September.

It's a long stretch to be under construction all at once, said Gary Moore, the city's director of engineering services.

"But none of the people up there wanted to deal with it over two years. They'd rather have the pain in one year and get it over with."

Both the King and Concession work will bring new sidewalks, new lighting, planters and benches — all aimed at making the corridors more enjoyable to walk and shop.

Santos says he's fortunate because many of his customers arrive on foot. He knows other businesses are feeling the hit more profoundly.

"It will be tough this year and I expect I will lose a little bit but there is light at the end of the tunnel."

Papa Leo's had to close for eight days in March when the eatery's pipes froze.

"The reality is that this work needed to be done and there is no other way to do it."

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 6:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Zoetic Theatre is set to close in September and is up for sale. Hopefully, she'll find a good owner.

Listed for $1.9 million.
https://www.realtor.ca/terms-of-use?...eviousPage=PDP

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:45 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The Zoetic Theatre is set to close in September and is up for sale. Hopefully, she'll find a good owner.

Listed for $1.9 million.
https://www.realtor.ca/terms-of-use?...eviousPage=PDP
Potential buyers eye Zoetic Theatre

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:20 AM
It's Hammer Time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues