HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Another World Trade Center in the making. Right next to - another World Trade Center in the making.
Kind of astonishing isn't it? Hudson Yards 1 and 2. It would be like WTC 1 and WTC 2 right next to each other. These developments are MASSIVE!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
“Manhattan West will serve as the connector between the Midtown central business district and north Chelsea, providing direct pedestrian access between Penn Station, Highline Park and the Hudson River,” said Jerry Larkin, senior vice president of Leasing at Brookfield Office Properties. http://newyork.citybizlist.com/artic...ield-exclusive
Funny that Brookfield is pushing the "north Chelsea" name and not caving to Hudson Yards, even though HY is the much more broadly recognized name for the new district.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 7:13 PM

Maybe HY is intended to be the name for the central tower quadrangle, while North Chelsea is the neighborhood where it's located, and that's the distinction they want to be made?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 9:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Funny that Brookfield is pushing the "north Chelsea" name and not caving to Hudson Yards, even though HY is the much more broadly recognized name for the new district.
They are trying to capitalize on that area and the High Line, which is a pretty hot district for residential development. And although the connection is there, Related's project is so closely "related" to the Hudson Yards brand that Brookfield may want to differentiate their own development from that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 12:27 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Apologies if this has been asked before, but this is the only NYC project that I'm confused on the data. What are the heights of the 4 towers being proposed? I went on the official site but could not find such info. Is it 1,216 ft and 935 ft, and the 3rd and 4th tower about 600ft? I went on the site and there was 4 towers?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 12:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before, but this is the only NYC project that I'm confused on the data. What are the heights of the 4 towers being proposed? I went on the official site but could not find such info. Is it 1,216 ft and 935 ft, and the 3rd and 4th tower about 600ft? I went on the site and there was 4 towers?
There are no official heights. What you see in the thread title is reflective of where we are.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 12:19 PM
New Yorker for life

( October 13, 2013 )

View from the rails...(north side)

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 10:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...manhattan.html

Canadian developers take Manhattan
Property giants Oxford and Brookfield look to transform industrial pocket of NYC with landmark projects a block apart

By: Susan Pigg Business Reporter,
Oct 15 2013

Quote:
In a city where people have pretty much seen it all, no one’s seen anything quite like this before, unless they were walking the streets back in 1913.

That’s when forward-thinking engineers found a way to create a platform over what had been filthy, polluting railway tracks in what’s now the bustling heart of Manhattan, Midtown. Out of that monstrous engineering feat came Grand Central Station and atop its tracks would spring up some of the most desirable real estate in the world along an exclusive boulevard, Park Avenue.

A new generation of engineers is at it again, only this time on behalf of two of Canada’s biggest real estate developers — Oxford Properties and Brookfield Office Properties.

.....Brookfield’s nearby $4.5 billion West Manhattan project is considerably smaller, but no less an engineering marvel. The five-acre site is dominated by 16 railway tracks. Work began last October to create the platform, a series of bridges that will be slid into place over the next year from a “launcher” now anchored to one end of the site.

When completed, the platform will take up more than half the site. On top of it will sit some 1.5 acres of public space and a new pedestrian walkway between Penn Station, the High Line and the Hudson River.

Three 60-storey towers will be built on bedrock to the north and south of the platform, including two LEED Gold office towers and an 850-unit rental apartment building. A smaller tower, which could house a hotel or retail complex, is also being considered.

Brookfield sees such high demand for rental apartments — in a city where just 30 per cent of people own — they plan to start the residential tower next year. The only thing holding back commercial construction is finding anchor tenants.

The old build-it-and-they-will-come approach to commercial development is now dead in New York: Neither Oxford, nor Brookfield, plan to start digging for commercial towers unless they have long-term anchor tenants in place first.

.....Brookfield, which bought the Manhattan West site in 1985 from fellow Canadian developers Olympia & York, remains optimistic it will find anchor tenants and begin constructing its commercial towers, despite the fact it’s overshadowed by Oxford/Related’s much higher profile Hudson Yards.

“Related does a lot more pr and they are very good at it. And we thank them for that because they are promoting the whole area and we’re drafting off of them,” says Wharton.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 4:12 PM

Photo by me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:02 PM
New Yorker for life

In a few years we will be as amazed with the transformation here as we have been with "ground zero" into the current WTC site.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
In a few years we will be as amazed with the transformation here as we have been with "ground zero" into the current WTC site.
It's very exciting to see the sheer amount of development going on. Manhattan West, Hudson Yards, WTC, the 57th street boom and the Midtown rezoning. Hopefully we will see a beautiful Penn Station too.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
At least.
The breautiful thing here is that unlike WTC, whose existence has for many come to exemplify the oft-times bungled political stewardship of a critical rebuilding project, HY, MidTown East and the Rise of the 57th Street corridor are even now in different stages of "hit the ground running" mode.
We should all pray to be alive and well in ten years.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 10:09 PM

Now if they could just do something with that horrendous building next to it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 10:41 PM

The building on the left with the billboard is staying, am I right?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Photo by me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
What a great construction site! I live for this......

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 11:57 PM

How tall will they be cause each rendering looks different?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 7:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
The building on the left with the billboard is staying, am I right?
Yes.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:14 PM

Thanks. Don't really like the buildings so far. Maybe when they're done I'd change my mind.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
Thanks. Don't really like the buildings so far. Maybe when they're done I'd change my mind.
The designs we've seen may not be the final product, but I expect what we get will be based on what we've seen so far.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 9:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

wow its so cool around here to see this.

i hate to invoke the favorite overused word of 20somethings lol, but this engineering feat really is...amazing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive