HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:18 PM

wow but 3 bridges that look the same?? jersey to manhattan should be done first imo.

i can't workout from the description of how the lower manhattan one will work? can someone draw it on a map? it just sounds weird!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 11:59 AM

Here we go.

‘Ribbon Bridge’ Concepts for Cyclists and Pedestrians Proposed Across Hudson and East Rivers
https://www.newyorkyimby.com/2020/07...st-rivers.html

I hope at least they are all unique in someway! Oh and 100 million each?? Pffffft yeh and the rest!

Last edited by SkyHigher; Jul 1, 2020 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:29 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Here we go.

I hope at least they are all unique in someway! Oh and 100 million each?? Pffffft yeh and the rest!
...wouldn't it simply be more practical to repurpose all of the existing bridges (and possibly tunnels)?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:41 PM

Existing tunnels and bridges are relatively narrow, and couldn't accommodate large expansions of walkways/bikeways, without reducing vehicle traffic to one lane in each direction. I wouldn't mind such a scenario, but I doubt it's feasible.

There have been no new bridges or tunnels to Manhattan since the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel was completed. Time for some new roadways, but exclusively bike- and pedestrian-centered.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:22 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Existing tunnels and bridges are relatively narrow, and couldn't accommodate large expansions of walkways/bikeways, without reducing vehicle traffic to one lane in each direction. I wouldn't mind such a scenario, but I doubt it's feasible.

There have been no new bridges or tunnels to Manhattan since the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel was completed. Time for some new roadways, but exclusively bike- and pedestrian-centered.
Removing lanes altogether from the use of private vehicles and/or reconfiguring traffic flow (eg. making some bridges one-way with contraflow, peak lane) is much more likely than building a half-dozen new ped-bike bridges.

The manner in which NYC utilizes streetspace is so wildly inefficient, that I can't help but wonder if people vastly understimate how much space there really is on these bridges.

The tunnels is a bit less of a clear picture, and I could be somewhat persuaded of the need for new trans-Hudson crossings - but it's not exactly an easy thing to do. Still, I can't help but imagine bus (and/or bike) facilities could not be accommodated in tunnels as well.

In any case, virtually no major capital expenses need to be spent to make any major structural changes (besides eventually making changes to any ramps that connect to local streets): it could be done with paint and signage, in the interim.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Removing lanes altogether from the use of private vehicles and/or reconfiguring traffic flow (eg. making some bridges one-way with contraflow, peak lane) is much more likely than building a half-dozen new ped-bike bridges.

The manner in which NYC utilizes streetspace is so wildly inefficient, that I can't help but wonder if people vastly understimate how much space there really is on these bridges.

The tunnels is a bit less of a clear picture, and I could be somewhat persuaded of the need for new trans-Hudson crossings - but it's not exactly an easy thing to do. Still, I can't help but imagine bus (and/or bike) facilities could not be accommodated in tunnels as well.

In any case, virtually no major capital expenses need to be spent to make any major structural changes (besides eventually making changes to any ramps that connect to local streets): it could be done with paint and signage, in the interim.
I agree, and I like this illustrating proposal

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 1:11 PM

Yeh I like Phoenix's proposal instead, though be nice to have a NJ to Manhattan crossing finally.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 3:27 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflight View Post
I agree, and I like this illustrating proposal
Yeah, I think the entire project is really great! It's getting close to the way I wish advocates would communicate repurposing streetspace to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post

Yeh I like Phoenix's proposal instead, though be nice to have a NJ to Manhattan crossing finally.
It's from Vishaan Chakrabarti's studio, PAU. He used to be the Manhattan director for NYDCP (Department of City Planning)

But yeah...I think at a bare minimum, improving the GW Bridge should be a high priority. I've also always wondered if space could be redistributed in the Lincoln tunnel. But this is why the idea of simply making Manhattan car-free is so appealing: it frees up a lot of existing infrastructure for buses/cyclists while still accommodating freight/services.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Yeah, I think the entire project is really great! It's getting close to the way I wish advocates would communicate repurposing streetspace to the public.

It's from Vishaan Chakrabarti's studio, PAU. He used to be the Manhattan director for NYDCP (Department of City Planning)

But yeah...I think at a bare minimum, improving the GW Bridge should be a high priority. I've also always wondered if space could be redistributed in the Lincoln tunnel. But this is why the idea of simply making Manhattan car-free is so appealing: it frees up a lot of existing infrastructure for buses/cyclists while still accommodating freight/services.
Ah I see. Interesting article. Thanks for the link. Shocking statistics. I hope it will happen.....wonder what the chances are and time line though?!

As I said would love to see a new pedestrian/cycle bridge from Jersey City to Lower Manhattan at some point.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development