HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Elysian in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 8:15 PM
Registered

MWC reports that "As of mid-April, both the residences and the [hotel] suites were 65% sold." They also state an "early summer 2006" groundbreaking.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 8:17 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
Just as banks require 50% sales before financing a project, the city of Chicago should have a similar rule: 50% sales of a development before issuing a demolition permit.

That sure would have saved us a lot of what was lost--the old Merc Exchange, Block 37, the list goes on and on....
I could not agree more! Even better yet, show proof of financing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
I could not agree more! Even better yet, show proof of financing.
An article from June 7, 2005

ELYSIAN HOTEL & RESIDENCES BEGINS
GOLD COAST SITE PREPARATIONS

60-Story Ultra Luxury Property Anticipates 2007 Opening

CHICAGO, June 7, 2005 – Elysian Worldwide Chicago announced today demolition and site preparation plans for the Elysian Hotel and Private Residences, a 60-story ultra-luxury hotel and condominium building at Eleven East Walton Street, between State and Rush streets.

“Our goal of creating a one-of-a-kind, world-class hotel and residential retreat reminiscent of the finest hotels of Europe is well on its way,” stated David C. Pisor, president and chief executive officer of Elysian Worldwide Chicago, LLC.

Elysian also announced that Arcapita Inc., a leading private equity firm based in Atlanta, Georgia, is the majority equity partner on the project. “This project presented an attractive investment opportunity for us,” said C. MacLaine Kenan, a director of Arcapita. “We think the Elysian has a tremendous future and are delighted to be the key financial partner. We look forward to our association with the entire Elysian team.”

Golub & Company, a Chicago-based international real estate development and investment company, will lend their formidable expertise to the overall development process, including construction and related activities, as project manager. Founded more than forty years ago, Golub & Company and its affiliates have offices in the United States, United Kingdom, central and eastern Europe and Russia. “The Elysian will be a striking addition to Chicago’s cityscape,” said Michael Newman, president and chief executive officer of Golub & Company. “We are pleased to be involved in the development of this future Chicago landmark.”

Internationally acclaimed architect Lucien Lagrange, who has spared neither technical nor aesthetic element in his design, is the architectural genius behind the Elysian. Since 1985, Lucien Lagrange Architects has made a significant mark on the Chicago skyline, having designed some of the luxurious condominium residences in the city. The Elysian’s facade will be of the classic beaux-arts style, and incorporate graceful spires, majestic profiles and a European auto courtyard with fountains and lush landscaping.
The Elysian, located in the heart of Chicago’s Gold Coast, will embody the look and feel of an exquisite urban estate. The structure will consist of the hotel, featuring 183 fully-furnished guest suites, and 53 private residences, with a maximum of two per floor, offering sweeping views of the city and lakefront. All suites and residences are available for private ownership with studio suites available from $460,000, one-bedroom suites from $640,000 and residences from $2 million. Elegant restaurants, boutiques, an 18,000 square foot spa and health club, indoor pool, private screening room and salons complete the project.

“Sales thus far have exceeded our own expectations,” added Pisor. “We set out to redefine the luxury hotel experience in Chicago and the response to our project confirms there is a strong demand for this sophisticated style of urban living.” Over 65% of the private residences, ranging from 3,200 to over 10,000 square feet, and more than 50% of the guest suites, averaging 900 square feet in size, are under contract. Buyers include everyone from empty nesters looking to replicate the grand elegance of their family residence to those seeking the ultimate in-town retreat with the opportunity to place their suite in the Elysian rental program.

The Elysian Hotel and Private Residences in Chicago will be the flagship property of Elysian Hotels & Resorts. Additional sites in the United States and Europe are currently under consideration.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 11:27 PM
Content provider

I'd be irritated if I had bought there

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 12:37 AM
devout Pizzatarian

because there ain't been shit done at the site in a loooooong time now, i've bumped this one back down to "proposed" from "site prep/demo" on page 1 of the boom rundown thread.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2006, 1:01 AM

I called the sales center today, and I was told that construction should begin around July 15th. Whether this information is accurate or not, we'll just have to just wait and see. There are no settlement marks around the site, but those who pass the site frequently, keep your eyes open for any activity.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2006, 1:21 AM
THAT Guy

July 15, huh. I sure hope so.

BTW, is the 700' figure correct now? I know for a while we were going back and forth between numbers below and above 700 ft.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2006, 3:16 AM

Could anybody explain what exactly 'settlement marks' are, why they are green, why they go on the sidewalk/curb/street many feet from the drill hole (if my understanding is correct), and why they're called 'settlement marks' ? This has been bugging me a while and I would give a dancing banana to anyone who can help out.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2006, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467
Could anybody explain what exactly 'settlement marks' are, why they are green, why they go on the sidewalk/curb/street many feet from the drill hole (if my understanding is correct), and why they're called 'settlement marks' ? This has been bugging me a while and I would give a dancing banana to anyone who can help out.

Settelement marks are placed on areas around the construction site when a final "settelement survey" is completed. A final survey of the site is required by the department of underground to determain actual elevations and whatnot of the grade level at the site. After the survey is completed, the Department of Underground reviews the foundation plans for any structure that drops more than 12 feet below the grade level, and makes sure all measurements, designs and what not are acurate. Don't forget, downtown Chicago has lots of old stuff below ground, including utilities, old sewers, frieght tunnels, so this also serves as a final chance to make sure an underground 'oops' isnt made. After a final review, the permit will be issued and foundation work will begin. Almost always, the settelement marks are painted in neon green (River North Center hotel's are hot pink for some reason ) and are a very good indicator of caisson work soon to begin.

Btw, 300 N. LaSalle just recieved its green settelment marks.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2006, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Settelement marks are placed on areas around the construction site when a final "settelement survey" is completed. A final survey of the site is required by the department of underground to determain actual elevations and whatnot of the grade level at the site. After the survey is completed, the Department of Underground reviews the foundation plans for any structure that drops more than 12 feet below the grade level, and makes sure all measurements, designs and what not are acurate. Don't forget, downtown Chicago has lots of old stuff below ground, including utilities, old sewers, frieght tunnels, so this also serves as a final chance to make sure an underground 'oops' isnt made. After a final review, the permit will be issued and foundation work will begin. Almost always, the settelement marks are painted in neon green (River North Center hotel's are hot pink for some reason ) and are a very good indicator of caisson work soon to begin.

Btw, 300 N. LaSalle just recieved its green settelment marks.
This project is right next to a subway line, and has a few sub-basements (do I remember 4?), so that could explain the lengthy time between settlement markings and permit-approval to being foundation work.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2006, 4:19 PM

I think they might use color codes depending on what utility is underneath. . . gas, telecom, electrical are usually designated with a pink or orange color while water and tunnels might be marked with green paint. . . someone in the construction industry must know the answer to this better than I explained it. . .

Old Posted Jun 29, 2006, 4:56 PM

^Yeah, that is why I suppose settelement marks are bright green. There is not any overlap I can think of with other utilities: yellow for gas, orange for telicom, red for electric, blue for water, and so on. I do believe the marks however, are for locations serving as benchmarks for the survey, rather than locations of stuff underground.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 7:40 PM
Illustrator, editor

Beautiful classical retro design. Nice, but not very original.
It reminds of Park Tower in Chicago and some building near Central Park in New York.

I definately prefer the photoshopped rendering.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 7:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky
It reminds of Park Tower in Chicago........
that's no coincedence, the two projects share the same design architect: Lucien Lagrange.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 9:28 PM

uuuuhhhhh............approved like three years ago now and about 60% sold in the first six months about 2 1/2 years ago. (allegedely). uh what gives here? i think this is the NEW BLOCK 37!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we'll see in a few years after the market starts to fall out as its doing now!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2006, 4:55 AM

Thanks to Shawn, VivaLFuego, and Tom for shedding some light on the mystery markings!
, , and !

Old Posted Jul 2, 2006, 4:23 PM
The City

^ Do not post dancing figures until this building is actually U/C.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 2, 2006, 5:44 PM
Registered

If this delay was because they were redesigning the building, I'd fill the whole page up with dancing figures.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2006, 4:00 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

As BVictor already said. Work is supposed to resume around the 15th of this month. I also talked to someone in the developers office and they confirmed that work WILL indeed resume around the 3rd week of July.

So I have that information on my "updates" section of NewcitySkyline.

They're going to call me right before they start so I can be there the day of and take pictures.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2006, 4:43 PM
Content provider

this is a nice tower for the north end of the skyline. it should do a lot to further bulk up the area around JHC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture