HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:20 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
There is plenty between Norristown and Montgomeryville (for example) and everything that one would need can be found in this corridor, there is no reason to go to KOP or CC.
In terms of the 'essentials' of life, sure - my doctor and dentist were a 5 minute drive away, and I could run my daily errands without needing to leave the immediate area. But to name a few examples, I used to have to go all the way up to Warrington to go to the movies, or out to Plymouth Meeting for Guitar Center. (The latter would still be the case, but Willow Grove Mall is finally getting a movie theater soon.) Willow Grove Mall didn't get an Apple store until late 2012, so until then the closest ones were Center City or KOP (although the KOP one had been open a lot longer than the Center City one had been, IIRC).

I mean, just look at this quick search of Wegman's locations - it's borderline comical how eastern Montco is completely overlooked! And yes, I realize I am being borderline pedantic as there are numerous other grocery stores in the region, but again it's just a feeling that you're missing out on something that you'd have easy access to by living elsewhere.

Edit: And I just want to stress again - I really like the area and I think eastern Montco is a great value. But there's a reason it's more affordable, and I think this accessibility issue plays a big part in that.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
In terms of the 'essentials' of life, sure - my doctor and dentist were a 5 minute drive away, and I could run my daily errands without needing to leave the immediate area. But to name a few examples, I used to have to go all the way up to Warrington to go to the movies, or out to Plymouth Meeting for Guitar Center. (The latter would still be the case, but Willow Grove Mall is finally getting a movie theater soon.) Willow Grove Mall didn't get an Apple store until late 2012, so until then the closest ones were Center City or KOP (although the KOP one had been open a lot longer than the Center City one had been, IIRC).

I mean, just look at this quick search of Wegman's locations - it's borderline comical how eastern Montco is completely overlooked! And yes, I realize I am being borderline pedantic as there are numerous other grocery stores in the region, but again it's just a feeling that you're missing out on something that you'd have easy access to by living elsewhere.

Edit: And I just want to stress again - I really like the area and I think eastern Montco is a great value. But there's a reason it's more affordable, and I think this accessibility issue plays a big part in that.
They are building a Wegmans in Yardley just north of the Oxford Valley Mall, which will (sort of) serve eastern Montco.

Here's an article:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/yardl...ns-development

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:02 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Montgomery County:
Abington (Glenside, Rydal, Huntingdon Valley)
Lower Moreland (Hungtingdon Valley)
Springfield Twp (Erdenheim, Oreland, Glenside)
Whitemarsh (everywhere)
Plymouth Township
Upper Merion

Delaware County:
Haverford Township
Newtown Township (old bits of Newtown Square)
Marple Township
Nether Providence (Wallingford)
Middletown Township (closer to Media)
Springfield
Rutledge (W-S Schools)

Bucks County
Fewer opportunities, but the Pennsbury portion of Levittown stands out as a candidate for an upgrade in housing stock (I believe it's Falls Township, specifically)

These are all "older" suburbs you describe but have excellent, not underperforming schools. There is already a high low aspect to most of them (Abington has $250K post war cape cods and $1M plus estates) so the market has shown the price points are attainable. The same thing I said about Abington is true of every township on here with the exception of Falls. In nearly all of them, you can find million dollar homes and sub-$300K tract homes. In the other regions I mentioned, those sub $300K tract homes would be coming down and replaced by custom built infill homes.

In short. Exactly what I stated before. Older suburbs, great schools, good transit connectivity.
Fair enough from your view. But I still don't see the connection for Haverford, Newtown Square, Wallingford or Middletown. All of those towns have very diverse, healthy mix of development, renovations, well maintained older homes and tear downs. Would I like to see more? Of course, I am generally pro-development, but I think Wallingford and Newtown Square represent a much healthier grow strategy than a lot of large new metros like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. all of which build a lot of new, then tear it all down and repeat the cycle. Most of them do not have anywhere close to the towns / housing stock that many Philadelphia area towns (like Wallingford). Plus, similar towns around greater New York and Boston have a similar setup to what I mentioned, i don't think Philadelphia is an outlier in this regard.

That was my initial point was that the Philadelphia region fares very well in overall good development while maintaining character and many towns offer good price options due to variety. But yes, I can see certain towns where I would like to see more of our logic, due to the excellent schools and good transit, just not so much the towns I mentioned with the exception of a few spots like Garden City (part of Nether Providence).

The biggest thing I would like to see change is less pushback toward denser development in and around walk-able towns and transit centers.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Aug 27, 2020 at 2:22 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
That was my initial point was that the Philadelphia region fares very well in overall good development while maintaining character and many towns offer good price options due to variety. But yes, I can see certain towns where I would like to see more of our logic, due to the excellent schools and good transit, just not so much the towns I mentioned with the exception of a few spots like Garden City (part of Nether Providence).

The biggest thing I would like to see change is less pushback toward denser development in and around walk-able towns and transit centers.
Agree 100%. Upgrading existing housing stock via renovations, to the extent possible, is far more preferable in most cases. And yes, there are so, so many opportunities for more suburban density/transit-oriented mixed-use hubs. Ardmore/Bala Cynwyd and Conshohocken are fantastic models on this point.

Tear downs are certainly appropriate and desirable in some circumstances, but given existing character as you note in many older suburban neighborhoods, and the fact that Philadelphia still has $350K family-sized homes in its inner, transit-accessible suburbs, are huge assets for livability that should not be taken for granted, or worse, completely destroyed.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:04 PM

44 West in West Chester is almost finished and looks fantastic. There are two pictures at the top of this article. Sorry, I do not know how to post pictures in here. https://www.dailylocal.com/business/...a5c77b2d2.html

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 7:47 PM

I love the brick work in the plaza!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Agree 100%. Upgrading existing housing stock via renovations, to the extent possible, is far more preferable in most cases. And yes, there are so, so many opportunities for more suburban density/transit-oriented mixed-use hubs. Ardmore/Bala Cynwyd and Conshohocken are fantastic models on this point.

Tear downs are certainly appropriate and desirable in some circumstances, but given existing character as you note in many older suburban neighborhoods, and the fact that Philadelphia still has $350K family-sized homes in its inner, transit-accessible suburbs, are huge assets for livability that should not be taken for granted, or worse, completely destroyed.
LOTS of broad strokes here.

Haverford and Wallingford aren't all stone homes from 1930.

I'm just saying. Replace this (an actual street of similar homes in Haverford Township).

https://goo.gl/maps/hyS5NRam7mATRsSv6

With this:

https://goo.gl/maps/5fUnNpsDqNw6wcV58

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_36430664/

Those homes are on lots of less of a 5th of an acre in a neighborhood of homes that is less appealing than Haverford Twp or Wallingford as is.

Again. No imagination here. I'd much rather live in one of these houses walkable to transit on a small lot than be out in a Toll development in Garnet Valley.

And again. The above is not an option here. There is virtually no tear down activity anywhere but the Main Line. And there, it's big lots big houses.

We don't have a market for small lot small teardown activity but we should because the market would be massive.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I love the brick work in the plaza!
I also think it's pretty awesome that the fountain is heated so it can operate year round. I believe that gets turned on this week.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:05 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Anyone know who to contact in the Wilmington skyscrapers to have different colors on the tops of the buildings that have lights?

I saw a pic on here before I believe the Chase Centre had it in red before.

I just want to see If we can get some colors in the city @night.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
They are building a Wegmans in Yardley just north of the Oxford Valley Mall, which will (sort of) serve eastern Montco.

Here's an article:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/yardl...ns-development
Say what? That's not close at all.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Say what? That's not close at all.
Willow Grove is about 25 minutes away. It's not close close, but I live in Lower Bucks and go to the Jenkintown Whole Foods occasionally, which is roughly the same distance. 25 minutes isn't outside the realm of grocery shopping.

Last edited by Milksteak; Aug 31, 2020 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 12:33 AM
Me?!?

Proposed Downtown Norristown Development to Bring Business and Residents to Main Street

https://montco.today/2020/08/propose...o-main-street/

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 3:09 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Buildings/skyscrapers in Wilmington were lit up red tonight, anyone know what its for?

Labor Day?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Buildings/skyscrapers in Wilmington were lit up red tonight, anyone know what its for?

Labor Day?
No, it's for the Save Our Stages movement across the country.
See more here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericful.../#3a4e9bdd32b5

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:18 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
No, it's for the Save Our Stages movement across the country.
See more here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericful.../#3a4e9bdd32b5
Kopy that makes sense, Funny enough I had just asked who to contact to have the skyscrapers lit up at night, and here we go with some color!

Looking good and in other news I just bought a house in Wilmington! wish me luck

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
'Significant investment': Myoderm buys 14.3 acres, starts development of new Horsham HQ

Small news but nice to see local companies do well and expand.
Always good news, a little surprising that there is new office construction in that area. Toll Brothers just left their HQ near by and the Prudential building is mostly empty (not taking into account work from home).

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:33 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDD View Post
Always good news, a little surprising that there is new office construction in that area. Toll Brothers just left their HQ near by and the Prudential building is mostly empty (not taking into account work from home).
Yep and they have moved to the empty Devry spot at 1100 Virginia Dr. in FTW. I was able to see the construction for most of that and it's a massive space.

Some development around the courthouse in Norristown, I like it:

Norristown approves Montgomery County Justice Center development
https://www.pottsmerc.com/news/norri...5060a.amp.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:27 PM

Construction Begins On 51 Washington Street In Conshohocken

Quote:
Conshohocken, a quaint town located roughly 11 miles away from Center City, sits within Montgomery county on the left bank of the Schuylkill River. The town has recently seen a large amount of new development, having grown into a strong suburban (in the better sense of the word) force that has helped the Philadelphia metro area blossom. Its latest new development, the 304-unit residential complex at 51 Washington Street, is now under construction.
Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/08/cons...nsylvania.html

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 1:03 PM

Wilmington

The Cooper - 200 block Lower Market Street:

Complex runs back to King Street:

300-400 block of Market Street is seeing a lot of activity, everything around the old Farmer's Bank on Market St/4th Street has been demo'ed, and the bank itself is getting new windows, cleaned up. Looks great.

The city bought this older building at the corner of 8th and Market, it was a Rite Aid before it closed a few years ago. The city is renovating it to be a smaller, grocery store. I haven't heard who is going to run the grocer though, or if the city was able to land a national brand.

Across town, to 2000 Pennsylvania Ave., this one is finally open! Residents have started moving in, the Sante Fe restaurant is open. Some of the retail spaces on Grant Ave. are still finishing up construction inside (but we have the Mexican restaurant, a federal union bank, and a rock climbing gym already in place here). This is a Bernardon construction project, who recently completed 44 West in West Chester. Bernardon is lined up for the Festival Pier project in Philly, along with a new apt building project near the Rail Park in Callowhill.

Capano's massive three building luxury apartment complex on the Brandywine Creek continues. I was saddened to see how many huge trees were destroyed in Alapocas State Park over the past few weeks which is essentially this project's front lawn. From this vantage point, you could not see the buildings under construction only a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:40 PM

Thanks for the updates Jawn! Wilmington is looking awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations